VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering, as I use WMM to create most home based video\slide shows, etc... is there something better? Yeah, I know there is but how about something FREE? Something easy, more options, etc... I don't do professional type work so have time to learn if something isn't quite as easy as WMM. I searched but many times a brief description is highly unclear as to what a program does. Any input appreciated.

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There probably isn't much that easier and better for nothing. There is better, but it won't be as easy to do all that Movie Maker does.

That said, there are many low cost options that provide far better quality and features. These include Ulead VideoStudio, Vegas Movie Studio and Premiere Elements.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like WMM too, but the fact that it's so "fragile". On my systems, it crashes for no apparent reason far too often (like once every 5 minutes or so).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My biggest complaint against WMM is that I could die of an old age waiting for the video file to be imported into the program.

It takes only few seconds to load frameserved avi or imported avi into VirtualDub and other video editors but with WMM, I could’ve sworn that I saw my finger nail grow by the time it got done with its thing.

TS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I agree with the statements, it does crash easily, that's one of the problems. It isn't slow on my new PC at all, rather fast, but still fragile as stated above.

Ok, so is there something that would make excellent vid\slide shows even if quite harder than WMM? Besides, saving to something other than WMV would be a blessing in itself.

Thanks!

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As far as speed goes I've only seen that as issue with compressed a material like MPEG, if you import a DV-AVI its as quick as anything else. Same thing goes for WME..

Besides, saving to something other than WMV would be a blessing in itself

You can save as DV-AVI, if that is what your source is that is what you should be doing anyway unless you want WMV.

Pro show gold gets mentioned a lot for slideshows, its specifically for making them. It's not free nor is that expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Choice of editor depends on the types of input formats you are using, the edit functions needed and your export desires (e.g. DV-AVI, DVD MPeg2, HDV, wmv, divx/xvid, flash, h.264, other). WMM imports many formats, has basic to moderate edit functions but only outputs as wmv or DV-AVI. To get to DVD best to export to DV-AVI and then import to a full featured DVD encoding/authoring program.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I do have WinDVD creator which I use to put into DVD files and then use IMG burn to put to iso on disc. I guess I'm looking for functionality more than anything. WinDVD creator is a pain to work with when it comes to actually putting something together, doesn't always work how it should but ok for creating a new format\putting it into Vid and Aud files. I thought there may be some cool free slide show maker other than WMM but surprised with all my searching, I found nothing really.

So to sum it up, was looking to cut out the middle man by going from WMV and\or AVI to using DVD creator then IMG burn. Was hoping for something free with some cool options and creating VID and AUD then I'd only have to use IMG burn after.

Thanks though,

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    I like WMM too, but the fact that it's so "fragile". On my systems, it crashes for no apparent reason far too often (like once every 5 minutes or so).

/Mats
    Boy I'm glad to hear that. Samething happens to me with WMM all the time.
    For the longest time I thought it was just having this problem.
    Now I feel better knowing that I am not alone.

(cue in Michael Jackson song "You are not alone")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jedi5
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg

/Mats
    Boy I'm glad to hear that. Samething happens to me with WMM all the time.
    For the longest time I thought it was just having this problem.
    Now I feel better knowing that I am not alone.

(cue in Michael Jackson song "You are not alone")
    Heh, no, every PC I have owned throughout the years have had this issue with WMM. My suggestion, SAVE A LOT, SAVE OFTEN. They would have a great app there but it needs a lot of work. My opinion, they should have scrapped Vista and worked on WMM, lol.

I did some more searching today and came up nil for anything that would do what WMM does that is FREE anyway. Sure, lot's of paid for types which I may do but I don't use it often enough to want to pay for it. That's the problem. If I am going to purchase software, I want to make sure I'm going to use it at least.

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jedi5
    Boy I'm glad to hear that. Samething happens to me with WMM all the time
    Using WMM keeps me on the edge of the seat, much like if i was handling a bottle of nitroglycerin in a roller coaster. With one exception - I know what makes the nitro go off.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a newbie at making videos, and a friend told me to use Photo Story 3 as it is user friendly and makes a pretty nice looking project. You have to spend a little time getting to know the program, tweak the duration and motion from the default settings so you get things right for each picture, and experiment with transitions. It gives you all kinds of places to preview what you want to try out so you can find the best option for any photo. This program is great for someone who has little to no experience in making a video from photos. It does so much on its own, yet you can change what it does if it didn't look right. There are plenty of easy help instructions to make the best of it and it is a TOTALLY FREE DOWNLOAD! After I made my video - using six songs and 180+ photos - I imported it to the Movie Maker program and added credits from their bag of tricks, then 'published' to DVD right from there with the program included in my Vista Home Premium. I now have a really nice 20 minute video for my Mom's 75th birthday party next week - and it looks BETTER than the one we paid a pro to do back for her 60th! It will mean more to her knowing that I did it myself too. PS: Don't forget to hit 'save project' before closing Photo Story so that you can always go back and edit a story later if needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wendy626
    I am a newbie at making videos, and a friend told me to use Photo Story 3 as it is user friendly and makes a pretty nice looking project. You have to spend a little time getting to know the program, tweak the duration and motion from the default settings so you get things right for each picture, and experiment with transitions. It gives you all kinds of places to preview what you want to try out so you can find the best option for any photo. This program is great for someone who has little to no experience in making a video from photos. It does so much on its own, yet you can change what it does if it didn't look right. There are plenty of easy help instructions to make the best of it and it is a TOTALLY FREE DOWNLOAD! After I made my video - using six songs and 180+ photos - I imported it to the Movie Maker program and added credits from their bag of tricks, then 'published' to DVD right from there with the program included in my Vista Home Premium. I now have a really nice 20 minute video for my Mom's 75th birthday party next week - and it looks BETTER than the one we paid a pro to do back for her 60th! It will mean more to her knowing that I did it myself too. PS: Don't forget to hit 'save project' before closing Photo Story so that you can always go back and edit a story later if needed.
    Hey Wendy626,

Thanks for the tip, yep, been using it for quite some time now, mainly for smaller\personal projects and it's excellent for what it's made for, no doubt and has been a fav of mine.
    Once in a while, I am nominated to do the video and photo editing "baseball games, proms, etc.." since most in my area don't know how but would like to get some better results or at least , DIFFERENT results than the same things in WMM or PS. I do a lot of graphics work with Gimp for sites, software, etc... but not much help in the way of making a decent or different type of slide show\video. As stated, I am tempted to buy something but geez, I don't do this all the time, maybe 3 times a year, perhaps 4? So I really don't want to take that route. The search continues, lol. But if I do find something I will post it here myself.

Thanks again,

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all, just an update, I found something called SSMM, "slide show movie maker" and it's free. I didn't link here, wasn't sure if I could but anyway, it's free, a bit harder to get used to but has some cool effects, etc... I think this "so far" is a winner until I find something else.

OK, NM, when posted, it linked anyway, lol and is listed here, but didn't see it before.
    Thanks,

Paul
    Quote Quote