VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings, I was wondering if someone can suggest a Player/ Program that can play copied .mp4s from my Yi Home Cameras that are saved on my PC.
    BACKGROUND:
    I copy and paste from the miniSD cards that are in the Yi Home Cameras to my PC.
    OBJECTIVE:
    I want to be able to view these .mp4s on a player with a timeline vice individually selecting each video one at a time.
    YI provides a good player on your phone and PC, BUT, it only reads/plays what is currently on the cam's internal SD card. It DOES NOT play files saved on the computer.
    YI does not have a player that plays cam footage located on your desktop.

Any Suggestions on a player/program? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are several most universal players that you can try.
    VLC, Potplayer, MPC-HC, MPC-BE.
    Also you can open file in Mediainfo, to see what actual codec is used for video and audio. If none of players above plays the file, you can try convert video in Vidcoder, Handbrake or Avidemux (but not much chance when not played in players)
    Or you can try remux mp4 to mkv (desperate option) in Mkvtoolnix.
    Best is if you post text version of Mediainfo about file. Maybe it is some proprietary format then very little chance to play on other software than is provided.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Dec 2017 at 12:04. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bernix, Thanks so much for the response. Here is the Mediainfo. Below that is a picture of what I desire. IT is the Yi viewer that only works on the miniSD that is in the Cams, not for files on saved on the PC.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\micha\Videos\YI Video CAMS\Kitchen Table Cam\2017Y11M19D21H\26M56S.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 594 KiB
    Duration : 7 s 936 ms
    Overall bit rate : 613 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-11-19 21:26:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-11-19 21:26:58

Video #1
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 1 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 3 s 300 ms
    Bit rate : 898 kb/s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 20.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.049
    Stream size : 362 KiB (61%)
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-11-19 21:26:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2017-11-19 21:26:58
    Color range : Full
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

[Attachment 43899 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. have you tried installing K-LITE CODEC pack

get the MEGA one from here

https://filehippo.com/download_klite_mega_codec/
    and use the MPC-HD which is included ?

worth a try
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks All, VLC works pretty well. Does anyone know if you can add a date stamp on the video the Date Created? It would be nice to know when the footage was taken while watching it.
    All the 1 minute files are saved in a folder like this \2017Y11M19D22H then each file is saved like this "08M04S.mp4" Thus, each folder is for an hour of the day and each file is saved as the Minute and Seconds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use bulk rename utility to rename your files to something like timestamp. Or you can whole folder mux in one file. It take a bit time, but probably there is some batch program for this. And if you have longer file, you can create subtitle for each with timestamp, that shows when you play video in VLC, but even 1 hours file is too small, if you want store all feature days (I mean everything from now). Probably best way is store 1 video for one day, but it is plenty of time. 60x24 files to mux. But probably somebody will helps you how to speed up process.
    But I think there has to be solution not store 1min video but at least to change it to 1hour, then you have only to mux 24 files per day and it is very reasonable.

Edit: In bulk rename utility there is feature autodate. So you can each file to has name, when it was created modified taken, you can do custom format of date or predefined, there are plenty of predefined things. But for first, just test it if you want it. I don't want to be blamed, that I spoiled all your files.
    When you muxed it to one file, this feature become of course useless (Bulk rename auto date feature)

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW such thing like time and date hardcoded in video I should expect in camera recording software. To do it manually requires to reencode whole video, which cost plenty of time. So you can do it through subtitle. The initial time. Subtitle isn't part of video and it is small file, but plenty of work, if not some batch file with regex expression.
    So check your recording software, what it can do for you. I suggest longer files 1 min video is very small and not from my POV usable for archiving. Check if you can get longer videos. And time settings in your capture software.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 2nd Dec 2017 at 21:56. Reason: except to expect :)
    Quote Quote