VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop, Windows 7 home premium, 64bit, and 64bit capture drivers installed.

I had a usb capture dongle that worked for one day, I was capturing various videos, and the next day it stopped working. That is, when I insert it into the usb port (any 2.0 or 3.0) I get that familiar distorted audio chime that says it doesn't recognise the usb device. Then, when I go into device manager, the device no longer shows up. Not even a yellow explanation point.

Thinking that the device had become defective, LSS, I received a replacement. However, the device gave the same issue--it would not recognise it and did not show up in device manager either. This device, like the other one was in a sealed package, brand new.

Ok. So I got an idea, I took the new one and connected it to my thinkpad T43 laptop (windows xp pro 32bit), the one I just got (used on ebay) and it immediately recognised it and began installing the drivers. I was able to make some test captures with the device. Then, I decided to grab the so called defective one and hook it up, and sure enough, it worked without a hitch. So, both capture dongles work after all. I began telling myself that it must be a windows 7 (unique) bug or something, that some devices go into "forget" mode or something.

So, i'm thinking that I have to somehow "refresh" the usb ports

Is there any way, a simple quick way, to refresh the usb ports so that the usb capture dongle can be recognise again? Hopefully, I won't have to keep doing this every time I shut down. I'm just testing this new capture device.

Thanks in advanced.
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
    For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...
    USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunately, that utility did not help.

I am still receiving this error message every time I plug in this one device. But if I plug it into another laptop, but with Windows XP, it works. I repaired the driver, uninstalled the driver, and reinstalled the driver. But I keep getting the message (below) and the device still does not show up in device manager (even when I select 'show hidden devices'), the usb device does not show up.

Quote Quote  
  4. Had similar problems and it may be related to power supply issues (on USB not PC) - external power supply (USB hub) solved my issues.
    You can try to remove all USB drivers (activate show hidden devices in device manager) - seem that USB in Windows is somehow buggy - it going to weird latchup and moving USB device to different port may solve issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Use device manager to locate the problem device (when it's plugged in) and uninstall it. As Pandy said, it may well be related to USB power issues. If you were using a Desktop then I'd say try using the USB ports on the rear plate (i.e. straight off the motherboard) rather than the ones on the front of the case. However, as you're using a Laptop then you could try a powered USB hub and see if that solves it. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's a windows issue that does happen from time to time for no known reason. The fix for me was to go into device manager and actually uninstall the usb hub and port drivers then reboot. windows will detect a new device and install the drivers and all is usually well again
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  7. After uninstalling drivers in Device Manager just right-click on the list of devices and choose to scan for items (forget the exact wording) this usually saves the reboot.
    Quote Quote