VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I am afraid so. I already explained that display port 1.2 doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so display port 1.2 on the motherboard won't work, and you can't use currently use a discrete video card to display 4K UHD Blu-Ray. The newest video cards have display port 1.3 and HDCP 2.2.
    Hello,

Thank you for the great wealth of knowledge you have taken time to share with me. I really appreciate it.

I don't want to take up too much more of your time so I'll keep this one short.

1) Yes I have found a page on my motherboard's product website (the design page rather than spec) that does say its ports are HDMI 1.4b and DisplayPort 1.2 (both of which don't support HDCP 2.2)

2) The good news is the discrete GPU that I am waiting for has both HDMI 2.0b and DisplayPort 1.4. From my research it seems both will support HDCP 2.2 so will this solution work or is it a MUST to use the onboard Intel HD 630 GPU??

3) Lastly I have a slight glimmer of hope while looking through the BIOS for SGX. Found the setting in the attached screenshot but am not sure whether this is what is required. Could you kindly take a look? The only options are 'Disabled' and 'Software Controlled'. I was expecting to find an 'Enabled' option but didn't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8641-1600.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	41343

Thanks in advance once again.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) Does HDMI 1.4b really not support HDCP 2.2? Of course you can't send 4Kp60 10 bit without HDMI 2.0 because of the lacking bandwidth but movies are usually 24 Hz anyways.
    2) At the moment: yes. But it might be possible that with new GPU drivers/software updates discrete GPUs become usable. But at this moment nothing is certain so I wouldn't buy a GPU right now. (Best chances probably with Nvidia Pascal)
    3) "Enabled" does exist but not on all mainboards. I don't know if this is relevant for PowerDVD, though.
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/properly-detecting-intel-software-guard-exte...r-applications
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Discrete video cards or AMD CPU's won't work as things stand at the moment.Only Intel Kapy lake I5"s and I7's as they support SGX.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    1) Does HDMI 1.4b really not support HDCP 2.2? Of course you can't send 4Kp60 10 bit without HDMI 2.0 because of the lacking bandwidth but movies are usually 24 Hz anyways.
    2) At the moment: yes. But it might be possible that with new GPU drivers/software updates discrete GPUs become usable. But at this moment nothing is certain so I wouldn't buy a GPU right now. (Best chances probably with Nvidia Pascal)
    3) "Enabled" does exist but not on all mainboards. I don't know if this is relevant for PowerDVD, though.
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/properly-detecting-intel-software-guard-exte...r-applications
    Hello sneaker.

2) What is the reason only HD 630 can be used to play 4K UHD Blu-Rays? What specific technology in this makes it compatible? Yes the GPU will be the 1080 Ti. I won't wait longer as the PC has been around for over 2 months without a GPU thus it's already wasting my money not being able to play games. If the 1080 Ti won't do UHD blu-ray discs it won't be a deal-breaker.

3) Ahh OK but would this 'Software Controlled' option suffice for PowerDVD? I've just seen that intel URL that you've shared. I guess it depends whether PowerDVD will request for it to be enabled via software control. It would make more sense that it does so.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isapc View Post
    Discrete video cards or AMD CPU's won't work as things stand at the moment.Only Intel Kapy lake I5"s and I7's as they support SGX.
    but SGX is a CPU and motherboard thing right? why wouldn't discrete GPUs work?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by cyclonite View Post
    I intend to try that tonight or this weekend if and can let you know my findings if you're interested?
    Yes, that would be interesting. So far I've read conflicting information.

Cyberlink also has a testing software, not sure if it covers the drive, though.
    https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

on a side note, I have just noticed that SlySoft AnyDVD tells me that my LG 16x Blu-Ray drive supports AACS 1.0 so that confirms why it wouldn't read the UHD discs.

also noticed that PowerDVD 17 wouldn't play newer Blu-Ray discs like The Revenant as it says my graphics card does may not meet the requirements.... Of course this is resolved by running SlySoft AnyDVD to remove the disc protections. I'm guessing just like 4K UDH discs, the newer standard definition Blu-Ray ones are now requiring a higher HDCP version to be supported as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks.
    There is an AnandTech article about the Pioneer drives which explains it:

AACS2 mandates the use of secure environment at all times, decryption of Ultra HD Blu-ray content in a PC is now possible only on an iGPU that uses system memory with appropriate regions set aside for this particular task. Unless companies like AMD and NVIDIA invent their own SGX-like technology or manage to support Intel’s extensions in their drivers and by their discrete hardware, it will not be possible to use standalone GPUs for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback despite all their advanced media decoding capabilities.
    You may not like it but unless you replace some of your present components (get motherboard that not only supports using SGX but also has HDMI 2.0 and buy a UHD Blu-ray drive) you cannot play a UHD Blu-ray disc with your PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Apr 2017 at 09:15.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks.
    There is an AnandTech article about the Pioneer drives which explains it:

AACS2 mandates the use of secure environment at all times, decryption of Ultra HD Blu-ray content in a PC is now possible only on an iGPU that uses system memory with appropriate regions set aside for this particular task. Unless companies like AMD and NVIDIA invent their own SGX-like technology or manage to support Intel’s extensions in their drivers and by their discrete hardware, it will not be possible to use standalone GPUs for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback despite all their advanced media decoding capabilities.
    Ahh OK thank you once again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a member at the blu-ray.com forum who has posted a list of compatible motherboards: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a member at the blu-ray.com forum who has posted a list of compatible motherboards: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108
    ahh mine isn't on it ohh well... will have to wait for NVIDIA to support SGX though the drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was a bit naive in assuming UHD Blu-Rays can be easily accessed as there are 2160p HDR copies of the same movies on torrent sites and I had assumed those ppl simply rip them off the original discs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing just like 4K UDH discs, the newer standard definition Blu-Ray ones are now requiring a higher HDCP version to be supported as well.
    No. Blame DRM on the disc. The Blu-ray Disc Digital Rights Management system uses BD+ in addition to AACS. Cyberlink periodically issues patches for PowerDVD Ultra to deal with new versions of BD+. The same problem affects hardware Blu-ray players. That is why the firmware needs to be updated periodically.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Apr 2017 at 13:44. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hello, dear all.

If DVDFAB team said they won't try to crack AACS 2.0 / 4k Bluray protection, which companies maybe can do it? Or even try it?

Anydvd team? MakeMKV developers? Maybe any new company that does not in the scene nowadays?

AACS 2.0 or it's improvements promise to be so hard to crack that it can be impossible to do it? Or too much effort to bother with?

Until now no company or independent developers find nothing more solid about AACS 2.0 and 4k Bluray protections? No weakness or ways to deal with that?

As I can see here, such format is very "specific", demanding many requirements. Hardware and software too. Only Powerdvd can play such discs / content?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Anydvd team? MakeMKV developers? Maybe any new company that does not in the scene nowadays?

AACS 2.0 or it's improvements promise to be so hard to crack that it can be impossible to do it? Or too much effort to bother with?

Until now no company or independent developers find nothing more solid about AACS 2.0 and 4k Bluray protections? No weakness or ways to deal with that?
    No one knows the answer to any of these questions. Even if someone already did make some progress in cracking they haven't made it public.

Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    As I can see here, such format is very "specific", demanding many requirements. Hardware and software too. Only Powerdvd can play such discs / content?
    On PC only PowerDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, dear all.

If DVDFAB team said they won't try to crack AACS 2.0 / 4k Bluray protection, which companies maybe can do it? Or even try it?

James and company at RedFox have not made any new announcements about cracking UHD Blu-ray. There are no announcements from MakeMKV either.

What you were told earlier in this thread still applies. Speculation on this subject is a waste of time. Don't invest in UHD Blu-ray with the expectation that the copy protections on the discs will be cracked soon.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi, dear all.

I have found something in Doom9 Forum.

---> https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174574

Officially, RedFox, DVDFAB team or MakeMKV developers are only focused on "normal" blu-rays disc content or they are interested in Ultra HD Blu Ray discs too?

Well, Ultra HD Blu Ray is not wide spread.

Maybe too "specific" material to be focused by RedFox and other similar companies at this moment. In future, if this would ever happens, who knows?

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody knows.

DVDFab made an official announcement stating that they would not be working on a UHD Blu-ray ripper. They have not made a statement indicating that they have changed their minds.

James and company at RedFox have not made any new announcements about a UHD Blu-ray ripper. There are no announcements from MakeMKV either.

AACS 2.0 has probably not been defeated. There were 4 "genuine" UHD Blu-ray rips available a month ago, and there are still only 4, as far as I can tell.

[Edit]PowerDVD 17 Ultra and a specially modified version of PowerDVD 14 Ultra (bundled with at least some of Pioneer's UHD Blu-Ray drives) can play UHD Blu-ray discs.

[Edit 2] Somebody just posted that there have been a total of 6 warez releases that appear to be genuine rips. That is 6 in 3 months, out of the many UHD Blu-ray titles available.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Jul 2017 at 10:19.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Hi, dear all.

@ usually_quiet

No, It isn't possible to rip them. There is no ripping software available for UHD Blu-ray

But, in a future, maybe it possible? Or such protection will be much more strong than regular blu-ray to the point to be "uncrackable"?

I wonder if any "company" or group ( like RedFox AnyDVD HD / MakeMKV dvelopers ) will have interest or be able to crack such protections?

Or even some other new people that have the proper knowledge / tools to do it?

Imagine if big companies make pressure to shut down any developers site just like they did to former Slysoft?

Thanks.

devil ( johner)
    All signs point to AACS 2.0 being much harder to crack. For one thing, there isn't much documentation about it available to anyone who is not an industry insider.

The amount of revenue received for doing all that hard work might not be worth the effort. Sales for UHD Blu-ray will be smaller than for Blu-ray.

Also there is no PC Blu-ray drive that has been given the ability to do the required AACS 2.0 authentication, and without it there is no possibility of ordinary consumers reading UHD discs with a computer.
    Actually, Hitachi LG Data Storage has recently been given a license for BD-Rom 4.0, which means they will be able to produce a computer drive that can read the Ultra HD Blu-ray format, and PowerDVD has also received this license, so they will be making a version of their software to play this format on computers. http://www.myce.com/news/powerdvd-hitachi-lg-offer-first-ultra-hd-blu-ray-playback-pc-81033/
    This may have been covered elsewhere, but UHD-BD comes with some very hefty requirements:

1. It requires you to have a Kaby Lake processor with the corresponding chipsets (200-series). Apparently there's something in their architecture that provides for the additional security the format requires. AMD need not apply.

2. From what I understand, it's much easier to revoke compromised keys than with Blu-Ray. and

3. Most importantly, no currently available discrete GPU will work with it, only the GPU onboard the Kaby Lake CPUs. At least until AMD and NVIDIA start supporting HDCP 2.2.

They thought this out quite thoroughly.

If I remember correctly, though, UHD-BD does have some concessions towards making copies. Supposedly on authorized discs, it allows you to rip a copy to an "authorized" drive (whatever that means), or create a lower-res version for your phone/tablet. But that still leaves you at the mercy of the provider.

Anandtech did an article about the UHD-BD ecosystem in their announcement of Pioneer's drive:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, dear all.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    It's probably a little of both: an awful lotta work for not a lotta fun. I suspect you'd have more luck trying to crack the satellite feed that beams movies to movie theatres.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CubDukat View Post
    This may have been covered elsewhere, but UHD-BD comes with some very hefty requirements:

1. It requires you to have a Kaby Lake processor with the corresponding chipsets (200-series). Apparently there's something in their architecture that provides for the additional security the format requires. AMD need not apply.

2. From what I understand, it's much easier to revoke compromised keys than with Blu-Ray. and

3. Most importantly, no currently available discrete GPU will work with it, only the GPU onboard the Kaby Lake CPUs. At least until AMD and NVIDIA start supporting HDCP 2.2.

They thought this out quite thoroughly.

If I remember correctly, though, UHD-BD does have some concessions towards making copies. Supposedly on authorized discs, it allows you to rip a copy to an "authorized" drive (whatever that means), or create a lower-res version for your phone/tablet. But that still leaves you at the mercy of the provider.

Anandtech did an article about the UHD-BD ecosystem in their announcement of Pioneer's drive:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/pioneer-announces-ultra-hd-bluray-supporting-bdrs11j-drives
    Yes, hardware and software requirements for UHD playback on a PC have been pretty well covered both in this thread and in some other VideoHelp threads.

Recent AMD and NVIDIA GPUs do support HDMI 2.0b and/or DisplayPort 1.4 and HDCP 2.2. However that isn't the problem. The problem is that SGX (Software Guard Extension) is supposed to be an absolute requirement imposed by the AACS LA. Only specific Kaby Lake CPUs and a small number of Z270 or Z170 motherboards provide all the features required to pass muster, including SGX protection on memory allocated to the GPU.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I listed everything you need to play a UHD BD on a PC a while back. AFAIK, the sitch hasn't changed:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/379959-UHD-BD-Authoring-Tool/#post2475372
    Quote Quote