VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello.
    I wonder if someone can help. I hope this problem has a solution...
    I occasionally find an old or obscure film online which has few seeders and so I'm chuffed when it has finally downloaded.
    So I then put the film on a usb and plug it into my Samsung tv.
    But the audio isn't supported.
    Invariably the film format is mkv.
    I'd like to know if and how it is possible to convert only the audio file, and not lose the high definition of the video file. Is there a free conversion software I can use, which is fairly easy to use?
    Any guidance greatly appreciated.
    Nice to find such a forum!
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your movie, click main, click convert audio stream, click go to the encoder, select ac3 as codec, click convert.
    If done, click multiplex, the new created audiostream is shown in green.
    Select it and select the videostream too, deselect the original audiostream (the blue one) and click multiplex.
    Done!
    Last edited by ProWo; 10th Oct 2022 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AviDemux, Clever ffmpeg GUI (and many other GUI front ends for ffmpeg), ffmpeg (command line version), etc.

A possible ffmpeg command line:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v copy -c:a aac output.mkv
    But the audio properties and codec settings may need to be specified for what your TV accepts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Use clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your movie, click main, click convert audio stream, click go to the encoder, select ac3 as codec, click convert.
    If done, click multiplex, the new created audiostream is shown in green.
    Select it and select the videostream too, deselect the original audiostream (the blue one) and cllick multiplex.
    Done!
    Thank you for the directions.
    It seems to download as an iTunes . When I open itunes I can't see it. Where should I find it please?
    I'm a complete novice in these areas so I appreciate your .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you using mac or windows?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm using Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Then download clever Ffmpeg-GUI, extract all from the archive to a folder of your choice and start the exe file.
    Follow the indications and with the working app follow my indications in my post above.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks again for the input.
    I'm not sure what the archive is you refer to.
    Following that link I just click on the first Download option (121KB,Win,Portable) .
    All I get then is the itunes symbol on my desktop with ' clever ffmpeg' description.
    If I click on this it opens iTunes and I see nothing of the app there. Do I right click and open with another app, for example?
    Quote Quote  
  9. It sounds like the 7z extension is inappropriately associated with iTunes. Right click on the clever ffmpeg file you downloaded and select Properties. Verify that the extension is .7z. Assuming so read up on how to open 7z archives:

https://www.howtogeek.com/357846/what-is-a-7z-file-and-how-do-i-open-one/
    https://www.wikihow.com/Open-7z-Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. You're correct , it is 7z. Will read the linked info. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do people use 7Z and RAR when they are such a nuisance to open compared to ZIP?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Why do people use 7Z and RAR when they are such a nuisance to open compared to ZIP?
    because the archives are smaller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you install 7zip, it wouldn't be a hassle.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough, although in these days of good internet, that is probably not a concern (I see your unpacked program is less than 1mb).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Statement of the bleedin' obvious, Scott.

Why make life more difficult than it needs to be?
    Quote Quote  
  16. update- I followed the wikihow link for use of the 7zip procedure/app.
    At Step 5 I followed the linked number 2 to a fairly clear Youtube instructional video. Then I returned and tired to follow and keep track but got lost again. lol.
    I'm afraid I got confused returning to the itunes file which still opens, even though now it has the name 'ffmpeg-5.1.2 full build' with the iTunes logo.
    I'll have a try with the other Wikihow app called Winzip, but I don't have much faith in my tech ability for that either.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I rest my case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Alwyn, installing the 7zip app would not only give the user a single place to work with zip, rar, and 7z files, but the installation would also reset the preferences for default app, which is one of the things the OP is having an issue with.
    Seems to me, that is killing 2 birds with one stone and making it easier for them.
    But, you can lead a horse to water...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Miracle of miracles!! I managed to do it and followed the steps of post #2. I used 7zip. I saved it with ac3 codec as advised. Then I put on usb for my TV but it still doesn't work. (I assume there aren't further steps...? or are there...?)
    But at least I got thru the procedure. Thanks all for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    Miracle of miracles!! I managed to do it and followed the steps of post #2. I used 7zip. I saved it with ac3 codec as advised. Then I put on usb for my TV but it still doesn't work.
    as jagabo said,

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But the audio properties and codec settings may need to be specified for what your TV accepts.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    Miracle of miracles!! I managed to do it and followed the steps of post #2. I used 7zip. I saved it with ac3 codec as advised. Then I put on usb for my TV but it still doesn't work. (I assume there aren't further steps...? or are there...?)
    But at least I got thru the procedure. Thanks all for the help!
    Have you put the new created mkv on the Usb stick?
    Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from this file here.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    as jagabo said,
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    ........But the audio properties and codec settings may need to be specified for what your TV accepts.
    ac3 stereo with 160 kbs should work on any TV.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I checked the processed file (I assume) using the Media app above but the audio says DTS. I noticed this option in the clever app, after ac3, but I didn't select it.
    I followed the procedure (in post #2) but I can't find the converted film. Is it supposed to be under the same name on my desktop? Am I supposed to re-name it in the clever app? I noticed in the clever app it listed the source name and then the target name with the addition of 'muxed' (?).
    I also processed another film with the same audio problem and the same result, in that I can't find the new version.
    Exasperatedly yours....
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    I checked the processed file (I assume) using the Media app above but the audio says DTS.
    It's the original file, not the processed one.
    So we know now that the original audio is DTS ( I suppose 5.1 channels).

Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    I followed the procedure (in post #2) but I can't find the converted film.
    The first time you launched clever FFmpeg-GUI, you had to specify a destination folder. This is where the edited videos are located.
    If you click on set target folder like in the picture, the target folder will be displayed.

[Attachment 67219 - Click to enlarge]

If you follow the instructions from post 2, you will see a picture like this:

[Attachment 67220 - Click to enlarge]

Audio conversion from DTS to ac3:
    Select here (as in the picture) ac3 as codec.
    If channels
    it says 5.1, then select 5.1 to 2 (as in the picture),
    if it says 2 (stereo), then leave it as it is,
    if it says something else, then select 2 (stereo).
    Bitrate should say 160.
    Leave all other settings as they are and click convert.

Then continue multiplexing as described in post 2.
    After that you will find a new file with _muxed.mkv extension in the target folder.

Copy it to your USB stick and test it on your TV.
    Last edited by ProWo; 14th Oct 2022 at 07:46.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thank you very much for the guidance and explanation. It worked!
    Very much appreciate your time and efforts. Grazie mille!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    Thank you very much for the guidance and explanation. It worked!
    Very much appreciate your time and efforts. Grazie mille!
    Glad to hear it worked.
    If you like the program, please rate it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Is there a way to do this exact same thing on a Mac? I have Handbrake, and hoping it's possible on there somehow - ideally without losting image quality during conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use audacity with ffmeg plugin and mux the changed audio with MKVToolNix.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thanks for this! Any drawback to just using MKVtools on a mac? I just found that and was about to try it out with video pass thru. Seems fast.
    Quote Quote