VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, as a first time post I would be very grateful for advice. I can record and play downloaded blu ray films on my pc with no problem. I have made hundreds without problem. However, when I recently tried to record 9 vids on a disc the order changes. ie I want to record them in chronological order but the order changes when the disc is written. I have tried re-ordering the playing sequence without success. I have also tried renaming the films 1 - 9. What I get is 8 followed by 1234567 and 9. IWhy is 8 appearing first and, more importantly, how can I stop it? have tried two recorders, a Pioneer and a LG. I have tried several different discs, I have also tried both Burn aware and Nero Express. Nothing seems to help. I am baffled. Many thanks for any help offered.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Both ImgBurn and mkisofs allow you to define the order in which the files will be written on the disc.
    With ImgBurn, first you save the project (an .ibb file), then you edit the section between [START_BACKUP_LIST] and [END_BACKUP_LIST] with a plain-text editor, and then tell the program to "burn" the project. mkisofs requires a text file ("sort.txt") that describes the order in which the files will be recorded.

Forget Nero and Burn Aware.

P.S.: also forget mkisofs IF your hardware player absolutely requires Blu-Ray discs to use UDF 2.5 or UDF 2.6, because mkisofs doesn't know anything above UDF 2.1.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK I will try imgburn. Many thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bill Turney View Post
    when I recently tried to record 9 vids on a disc the order changes. ie I want to record them in chronological order but the order changes when the disc is written. I have tried re-ordering the playing sequence without success. I have also tried renaming the films 1 - 9. What I get is 8 followed by 1234567 and 9. IWhy is 8 appearing first and, more importantly, how can I stop it?
    How did you select the files? When you multi-select files in Windows and drag/drop in Explorer the order isn't necessarily the order you see on the screen.

For example, in Explorer if you select a sorted list of files, say1 through 5, then grab file 4 and drag/drop onto the application, the application won't get them in the order you see on screen. It will get 4 first, then 5, then 1, 2, and 3. Ie, it starts with the file you dragged, not the first file in the list.

If you selected a bunch of files in a folder by dropping/selecting the folder (not the files themselves) the application will get them in the order they are stored in the folder -- which has no relation to the order you see them in Explorer. Because Explorer reads the entire folder then sorts by the files by the property you selected. For example if you create a new folder, then copy files to it one by one, say in the order 3, 5, 4, 2, 1, the application will get them in that order, not in alpha/numeric order or whatever order you have Explorer set to display them.

Also watch out upper and lower case letters. Explorer treats upper and lower case letters as the same letter. But some programs will sort all upper case letters first, then lower case letters. So Explorer may sort these files in this order:

Code:
    file1.ext
    File2.ext
    file3.ext
    File4.ext
    may sort by some applications as:

Code:
    File2.ext
    File4.ext
    file1.ext
    file3.ext.
    Of course an application is free to sort files by its own criteria. So even if you give it files in the order you want, it may not keep that order.
    Quote Quote