VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am currently using Roxio EZ CD and DVD creator to capture my video (firewire) from my Digital Camera and then burn it onto my DVDs. I have two questions:

1) I was under the impression that firewire was the fastest method to capture digital media; I thought that once I connected my camera to my firewire on my computer, it would show up as a drive in windows explorer and I would just transfer the digital files onto my hd? The way I am doing it, as it trasfers, it plays and I have to sit through the whole movie I shoot. Am I being impatient?

2) Is the way I am creating home DVDs considered the newbie method? I have heard of other great programs like TMPGEnc and Uleads video studio. Is it worthwhile to purchase and learn these other programs? The quality I receive now seems to be ok, but would it be better with a difft method?

I am sorry in advance if this post is redundant, this is my first post

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. That sounds right. If there's a "non-newbie way", I'd sure like to know!
    This is waht I do:

1) Connect D8 Sony camcorder via Firewire to comp
    2) Windows Movie Maker (capture)
    3) Edit, save as avi
    4) Tmpgenc encode to mpeg2

***although I am learning now that it is BETTER to use Tmpgenc to encode video ONLY and encode the audio SEPARATELY (i am still playing around w/ this notion)

5) Tmpgenc Author to convert mpeg2 to vob
    6) Nero burn to dvd video

Anyone object or have suggestions? My only complaint is that the avi to mpeg2 conversion i go through loses noticeable quality, but I'm told that by playing around w/ Tmpgenc fixes that... we'll see...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you are correct in saying that the time to transfer via firefire is the same amount of time the movie actually is. I use movie maker also. make sure you have ur settings set to the best quality for a dvd author before u send to ur HD. Once there I will encode with tmpge and author with dvd author and also burn with dvd author as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use DVIO to capture. And premiere to capture audio only from my cam for VO work. Like I hook up a mic to my cam, set it to camera mode (record mode), start an audio only capture in premiere, and add voices, as Premiere captures the live feed. Works well.

Anyway, TMPGEnc is a good encoder, and worth the money.
    I don't know much about authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Im assuming that Roxio is already converting the avi to Mpeg2 since I dont even have to do that step? Is that correct?

Also, TMPGEnc has so many darn settings, how do you know which is best for optimization?
    Quote Quote  
  6. when I use to do captures the old fashioned way (I now use a standalone dvd recorder to capture home movies), I would convert to non standard CVD (352x480 48 mhz audio). This resolution is a standard dvd resolution and can be authored/burned to a dvd disc without reencoding. I have not done anything with digital cameras, but assume that it is not capturing above the cvd resolution. With analogue sources (VHS), your resolution is not above the CVD number (this is argued on the forums occassionally).

An app you can use in conjunction with TMPGENC is dvd2svcd (change the settings for to CVD and use TMPGENC as the encoder).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Noek, you ask good intelligent questions, you'll get intelligent answers. EVERYTHING You want to know about TMPG and DVD is here:

http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html

Read and learn.

Then if you still need more about the process or TMPG in general, check out Lordsmurf.com He's got a ton of guides over there.

Recording in "real-time" via firewire I believe is the way it is done. I, also, would like to know the answer to this, but I'm sure it has to do with speed and bandwidth. But you'd think, at some point, we could at least hit FFWD on the player and have the computer capture everything at that pace. Maybe not enough bandwidth via firewire at the increased speed of the tape.

Augster
    Quote Quote  
  8. Augster,

I agree with the speed thing, I mean, Id hate to see how slow USB transfers, must be like slow motion. Anyways, I will definitely check out those sites you posted, thanks a ton.

Noek
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Noek
    I am currently using Roxio EZ CD and DVD creator
    I read the first 10 words and 'ed. I got that free with my burner but found that it insists on reencoding my already dvd compliant files. BUT, if you are using it to convert and you are happy with it, then cool.... It only has 3 "modes" right? High-quality, normal, low? Something like that? I just like being a little more versatile with my movies....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ Noek

Your process is basically sound as you're getting an end product that fits the bill (i.e. you can watch it).

Your next step would be to learn how you can make that any better / more impressive (by your own judgement and what you're happy with).

It's commonly accepted that using the best tool and format for each of the following steps will yield the best results, as opposed to an "all in one". This is because you have more control at each stage, and can do what you need to get the results you want, rather than being at the mercy of default settings.

0. Shooting the footage
    Be aware of lighting and how your DV cam is in low or bright light, or the response when changing between the two (out of shadow into bright light, shooting in a dark room / at night).

Try, wherever possible, to use a tripod. What might not look like much of a hand wobble to you can translate in to poor picture quality later on, and tricky to eliminate.

Shoot a few extra seconds at the beginning an end, and then crop when editing later.

1. Capture / Transfer
    There is a subtle difference beween the two. From a miniDV cam, I'd say it's best to transfer via firewire from cam to PC - this is a straight copy of the information from tape to your hard drive.

If you get a choice of formats, go for straight AVI or DV AVI Type 2 (not with codecs like Divx etc.). AVI is easier to edit (see next step) than MPEG.

Rather than transferring one long set of clips, do each clip into it's own file.

TOOLS: Loads, see the "Capture" section under tools. A lot of editing software captures / transfers too.

2. Editing
    This is where you combine and arrange your clips to look and sound as you want them to - e.g. fades, transitions, background music, add in still pictures etc.

Save the whole finished project back to the AVI format you used for transferring.

TOOLS: Again, loads. See the "Tools" section.

3. Encoding
    Change the AVI (~13Gb per hour of footage) to the desired format:
    1. VCD - MPEG1
    2. SVCD - MPEG2 (lower bitrates)
    3. DVD - MPEG2 (higher bitrates)

(See blue links in top-left of page for audio and video specs).

Good encoders are: TMPGEnc (MPEG1 for free, pay for MPEG2 after trial ends), Cinema Craft Encoder, Mainconcept MPEG Encoder, Canopus ProCoder.

Latterly, some editing tools (e.g. Adobe Premiere v6.5) have now started coming with the Mainconcept one).

4. Authoring
    Taking your compressed MPEG files and adding menus and chapter points. The end product are your VOB, BUP and IFO files in the VIDEO_TS folder. You'll probably get an empty AUDIO_TS folder - this is normal.

TOOLS: TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) is good as a starter (30 fully functional trial, fairly powerful, intuitive). DVDLab. Sonic ReelDVD. Others also in "Tools" section.

5. Burn
    Put the VOB, BUP and IFO files on to disc. I'd say to include the empty AUDIO_TS folder, as some stand-alone DVD players look for this to identify a DVD disc. Some authoring tools (like TDA) do the burning perfectly well, or you can use your favourite burning tool, e.g. Nero (6.3 and higher has fixed the DVD writing bugginess).

6. Enjoy...
    Sit back, and marvel at your work and appreciate all the pain and learning you've gone through...

TOOLS: Armchair, beer, DVD player, remote and TV.

TIPS:

A) Get a re-writeable disc (either CD-RW for (S)VCD, or DVD-/+RW) for practice burns.
    B) Read and read and read. Learn loads, and don't try to run before you can walk.
    C) Patience...

Hope that helps. Good luck...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmyjojo
    although I am learning now that it is BETTER to use Tmpgenc to encode video ONLY and encode the audio SEPARATELY (i am still playing around w/ this notion)
    See this link:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=725433#725433

...for the steps I take to go from DV cam to DVD disk with menus and good quality. I don't claim it's the best way or the right way as there's loads of ways and loads of different tools. But it will give you a good insight into what you need to do, typical tools and settings.

I do the audio separately from the video - it's detailed in the link above.

If your home movie is over 100 mins, you'll need to lower the bitrate as time and bitrate are the only factors determining how big the finished article is (too big, and it won't fit on a DVD disc). Check out the DVDRHelp Bitrate Calculator - found in the Tools section.

Hope that is of use...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  12. You guys all rule, so much good information. I am happy with the way my movie turned out (aside from not holding the camera still), however by coming here, I see that there is so much more functionality in the way to produce that I am not satisfied with my output. This is a good thing. Thanks again all for the terrific info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noek
    so much good information
    It's only what I've learnt from loads of reading of guides and posts, and questions when I'm stuck. You'll be the same in no time...

Originally Posted by Noek
    ...that I am not satisfied with my output. This is a good thing.
    Ha! You've been bitten by the bug! You've opened that can of worms... Welcome to the black art...

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote