VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using TMPGE for a video, and it would take about 26 hours to encode. Not only that but it ended up being 5 Gigs. If you don't deinterlace a video does that make the file size big? And where could I find out what deinterlacing settings I would have to encode my video with, Theres a hole passel of options I could deinterlace with. I don't know how to find out which one I should use. If theres a FAQ out there please redirect me I tried looking and didn't really see one(I searched the forum to).

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never heard of interlacing having that big an effect on file size. The biggest things affecting filesize is usually picture size (352x240, 704x480, etc) but mostly bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Echelon,

Depends on your PC, 26hours is long, but quite possible on a low specced machine. If you've hit 5 gigs, you have quite calculated your bit rate correctly, you might be able to trim the credits out, using the cut tool in TMPENC to get your file size down, but I think you are looking at a recode.

I agree with kita, interlacing or progressive doesn't seem to have a bearing on the file size.

Mate, I'm stunned you didn't find any help on TMPENc, they's a shed load of guides here!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 712(?) RAM and a good processor...I don't really see thats the problem. Its prob. the bit rate....If you could tell me how I could fix that?
    And if you could maybe point me to one of those guides that would be helpful....Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing that affects the file size is the running time of the clip and the bitrate. Seconds X bits-per-second = total bits

Conversion time depends on your PC specs (CPU MHz) and your settings, esp. if you are using any filters. State your settings and fill out your specs and then maybe someone can say if your conversion time makes sense.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Comp. specs. -
    712 ram
    AMD 1534

Expert settings -
    Video type - Interlace
    field order - Top field first
    Aspect ratio - 4:3 525 line(NTSC, 704 x 480)
    Content of video - Video movie

Filters -
    Noise redution
    ghost removal
    Deinterlace (which I don't really understand)

Setting for TMPGEnc -
    System stream - Mpeg 2 video
    Size - 480 X 720
    Aspect ratio - 4:3 display
    Frame rate - 29.97
    Rate control mode - Constant bitrate
    Bitrate - 4000 - kbits/sec (Is this what every ones talking about? or is that normal?)
    VBU buffer size - 224

Is that enough info.?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Those filters will kill any kinda speed you expect to get out of your encode. If you want it to encode faster, drop the ghost/noise filters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You gave all that INFO and forgot to say how long the movie (or whatever) is that you are encoding.

Again the overall final size is based on the bitrate you use for the video/audio and the running time of what you are converting.

Don't use the GHOST filter unless you REALLY need it. Don't use the DEINTERLACED filter unless you will ONLY ever play this on your computer. That would be the ONLY time you would want to DEINTERLACE and even then there are better methods than that built-into TMPGEnc

Also you might want to rethink using MP2 audio and instead use AC-3 audio.

Anyways ... it all boils down to using a bitrate calculator. TMPGEnc has one built in if you use the WIZARD MODE

Or here is one you can use:

https://www.videohelp.com/calc

Also it is a good idea to be a bit conservative with your bitrate. I usually set the final size in the calculator (link provided) to 4350 or 4400 and even then I round the bitrate down just a bit. Nothing worse than creating a video that is JUST A TINY BIT too big for the DVD-R

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Fulcilives is exactly correct, and thanks for the info BTW!

I certainly appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Nothing worse than creating a video that is JUST A TINY BIT too big for the DVD-R

Nothing better than dvdshrink to fix that problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Nothing worse than creating a video that is JUST A TINY BIT too big for the DVD-R

Nothing better than dvdshrink to fix that problem.
    Yeah but it is like treating a cough with cough syrup instead of a cure.

I feel that using DVDShrink or any transcoder to reduce the file size of something you converted yourself is akin to failure.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote