VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Over the weekend I shot some underwater footage with a Canon 1DC using the Nauticam underwater housing. Halfway through one of the shots the camera froze. I'm guessing it overheated in the underwater housing because the camera was hot to the touch. I removed the housing and battery and let the camera sit for a few minutes before finishing the shoot. Everything seemed to work fine on location until we returned to the studio and I put the CF card into the reader. NONE OF THE CLIPS FILMED AFTER THE OVERHEAT WORK! They don't have previews in finder, wont open in QT (or anything) and the file size is 0 kb.

All the footage prior to the crash has glitches in the beginning of the clips, but they go away after a few seconds, making them salvageable. I was shooting 1080 at 60p on a hoodman steel compact flash (1000x write speed).

Any suggestions on how to save this footage would be greatly appreciated

-Lonnie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    was anyone monitoring the camera's white then red overheat display icons? most likely after the initial overheat the internal cmos heatsinks never cooled off causing instantaneous shutdown for each clip the rest of the shoot. with a 0 byte size there is nothing to recover.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was monitoring the alarm on the Nauticam, but not the overheat display icons on camera.

I do have a corrupt clip with a file size (190mb) but it will not open in anything except after effects. Once open it cannot be converted and makes after effects crash if I hit a bad frame.

Any recommendations on saving that clip?

Thanks in advance.

-Lonnie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did a few different tests and figured out a weird, but usable work around:

•open the corrupt clip in after effects
    •make a composition out of it
    •set in/out points (you will probably crash and have to force quit until you find the usable segments of the clip)
    •add to render queue
    •set it to render out a psd sequence
    •RENDER IN TERMINAL (it wouldnt work when I tried to render in AE)
    •Re-open AE
    •Import PSD sequence
    •Export .mov
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bummer about the overheating. it could have been a nice dslr videocam, but from what i've read it overheats quite a bit shooting 4k even if it isn't in a waterproof coffin. not that the red cams don't also. i'm still waiting to see what the blackmagic 4k cam turns out like. it was supposed to ship last month.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hardly have any problems when I shoot with the red. We've used both of them in underwater rigs and the red had no problems, but this is the 2nd time the 1DC has crashed out on us (both times at around 30 minutes of use). However, when functional, the 1DC footage shot at 4k in log is amazing, especially in low light.
    Quote Quote