VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Is it possible to import 1700 photos at once in DVD slideshow and process them to a videofile?
    Will the program accept this load of data or can I expect to find a memoryleak or other problem leading to an unfinished task?
    Running on a intel quadcore 6600 with 4GB internal memory.

Thank you,

KKiezel
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Highly doubt it....it will have something to do with the 99 chapter or title limit in the DVD specs I believe. I forget the exact rule.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok Hech64, thanks for your reply. It might have saved me some frustrations
    Greetz, KKiezel
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Highly doubt it....it will have something to do with the 99 chapter or title limit in the DVD specs I believe. I forget the exact rule.
    Why would each photo be a chapter ?

You can make the video 1 title and insert chapters wherever you want (you don't need a chapter for each photo)

@kkiezel
    You can do this with any NLE e.g. vegas pro, premiere pro , or even avisynth

DVD Slideshow GUI might be able to do it, but I don't know if it will run into memory issues
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    DVD Slideshow GUI might be able to do it, but I don't know if it will run into memory issues
    You most probably will. That's not to say it's not a lovely piece of free software, I'm just saying it has it's limitations re: number of pics & RAM etc...

I, too, would love to strobe 1000-2000 pics and output a video. Not sure how to do that yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No offense meant, but who is going to sit thru 1700 photos? Why not break it down into a hundred or so per? I don't think I could sit for more than a 100 pics at a time. As far as 1700 goes, what is the quality, how many pixels per photo, what are you planning on displaying them on. These variables will affect your options.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    who is going to sit thru 1700 photos?
    Depends where the DVD is being played.
    It might be for the reception or waiting area of a building somewhere.
    Lots of stores have DVDs playing on continuous loop through business hours.
    Why not have a slideshow playing?

Regarding original post, I did a slideshow with 220 photo's on using Corel VideoStudio X4. No problems at all. Depending on file size of images, importing may take some time. Probably best to import - I dragged mine directly into the timeline - no more than 100 at a time. Experiment to see what's best for you. I dragged all 220 in one go though (mostly 5-7MB images)
    Last edited by mike20021969; 2nd Oct 2011 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @mike20021969, @ricoman
    Thanks for your replies. The video-to-be is indeed planned to be a 2 hour long diashow (with text, daymarks, etcetera). They are high-quality pictures (5-8 MB each) taken on a 6 weeks travelling holiday. The public is supposed to be interested (they didn't make many pictures) because they were on the same trip.

So far my initial question is as good as answered, I could run into problems because of the load of data. If is isn't for the load of pictures when placing them on the timeline, then it is when editing or converting them. I think I stick with my original program.

Thank you so much for your help, it is appreciated very much!

KKiezel
    Quote Quote  
  9. If this is for DVD project only (not blu-ray or HD web format) , then you can reduce the system resources required by batch resizing the images to SD beforehand in an image editor. Editing experience will be much smoother and fluid as well.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If this is for DVD project only (not blu-ray or HD web format) , then you can reduce the system resources required by batch resizing the images to SD beforehand in an image editor. Editing experience will be much smoother and fluid as well.
    Okay, that's a nice feature I haven't thought about. Thanks! I will try.
    KKiezel
    Quote Quote  
  11. It depends on how fancy your "slideshow" is going to be , and how you intend to set this project up

For example if you do panning (ken burns effect) and motion transitions you will probably need a larger sized base photo

If it's just a simple slideshow , the only thing you would need to worry about is getting the aspect ratio correct before resizing. Also, DVD doesn't use "square pixels"
    Quote Quote