VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm new here!

I edited a load of subtitles on Subtitle Edit, muxed them onto mkv videos as soft subs then tested them on a couple of desktop media players. All looked good, my font styles were in tact, all the colours, positions and sizes were working, all the fonts were outlined in black, no problems.

I then put a handful of the videos onto a USB stick and tested it on a PS4. The font was all plain white.
    Have I missed something in editing that keeps the styles on all platforms? Or does PS just not recognise font?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Drag an ASS from the stick to SE and open the "SSA Styles" (big red A) to see what styles are in it.

In SE you can use F2 to view the actual ASS file... and edit directly.

You can also edit the ASS files in notepad
    If yer going with the flow, yer going down hill.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Outside of computer media players there's very little support for ASS subs. Consider yourself lucky the PS4 is showing ASS subs at all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to burn them in your video if you want the full effects.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses.

I've done some research and apparently there's no way to put it on a DVD and it won't work on most devices that aren't a PC.
    Is there any way at all to make them work on a TV?
    Would plugging an external hard drive into TV work or do they require an OS?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can hard code the subs and make a DVD that will play in any DVD player. You can hardcode the subs into any video that will play on your PS4. You can connect your computer to the TV and watch with any media player that supports ASS. You can use a standalone media player that supports ASS subs (the new Chromecast with Google TV, for example) connected to your TV.

Assuming your TV has a USB port and a built in media player, you might be able to use that. But few TV media players support ASS subs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. and apparently there's no way to put it on a DVD
    Any player that follows the DVD-video specifications can do that.

Attached an DVD ISO image with soft- and hard-coded subtitles from .ASS subtitles.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    hard subs are totally evil stuff which only destroy the image forever.. I wouldn't consider them at all. Never.

an external media player with ass support seems the best option for me, here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks you!
    I'll have a look at that ISO and see if I can work out how to do them soft coded on a DVD.
    Failing that, I'll have a look at the TVs in house and see if any of them have a supporting media player. Most of them are Panasonics, which are extremely limited on apps. The Roku didn't seem to like MKV files for some reason.
    As a last resort, I'll buy a Chromecast.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by AWinters View Post
    I'll have a look at that ISO and see if I can work out how to do them soft coded on a DVD.
    DVD subtitles aren't text, they are low resolution pictures (with limitations over things like size and color) that look like text, overlaid onto the video during playback. Since they are images you can use different fonts, sizes, colors, position, etc. But it will require that the ASS subs be rendered into pictures. I don't know what programs to that well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    EasySup will render ass subs into pgs images such as dvd sub.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote