VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    It can read DVD's just fine though. I couldn't find any settings for region to possibly hack as I've gathered is one solution. I turned off parental controls, turned off the internet connection, experimented with a couple more settings but no luck. Last thing I can imagine this machine needs is an update. If this is the case, anyone ever used their phone internet for this? I think I'd need an "OTG" cable maybe to connect via ethernet as that is what this box has in the back for internet. It's used btw and I've never used it before successfully with blu rays. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
    It can read DVD's just fine though. I couldn't find any settings for region to possibly hack as I've gathered is one solution. I turned off parental controls, turned off the internet connection, experimented with a couple more settings but no luck. Last thing I can imagine this machine needs is an update. If this is the case, anyone ever used their phone internet for this? I think I'd need an "OTG" cable maybe to connect via ethernet as that is what this box has in the back for internet. It's used btw and I've never used it before successfully with blu rays. Any ideas? Thanks!
    By "phone internet" I'm guessing that you mean your smart phone's data service. I don't think there is a way for a smartphone to provide Internet service for another device via its USB port. If the update was available as a file, it might be possible to download it to the phone and copy it to a USB flash drive attached to the phone's USB port via an appropriate adapter. Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere at vizio.com to download an update for any Vizio Blu-ray players.

Although applying updates can sometimes allow playing discs with a new type of copy protection that the player's firmware is unable to cope with, most manufacturers don't keep supplying updates for their products indefinitely. Your player was released in 2011 and Vizio may have stopped producing updates for it.

If your problem Blu-ray discs are not region A or no region they probably cannot be played in a normal Blu-ray player sold in N. America. Very few of the Blu-ray players ever sold in N. America can be hacked to make them region free for Blu-ray and I found no hacks for your player. However there are places that sell Blu-ray players (at a higher price) with hardware modifications or custom firmware to make them region free. If your player doesn't play any Blu-ray discs, even those from the same country where you bought the player, maybe there is a hardware problem and you need a new Blu-ray player.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Sep 2020 at 11:53.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
    By "phone internet" I'm guessing that you mean your smart phone's data service. I don't think there is a way for a smartphone to provide Internet service for another device. If the update was available as a file, it might be possible to download it to the phone and copy it to a USB flash drive attached to the phone's USB port via an appropriate adapter. Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere at vizio.com to download an update for any Vizio Blu-ray players.

Although applying updates can sometimes allow playing discs with a new type of copy protection that the player's firmware is unable to cope with, most manufacturers don't keep supplying updates for their products indefinitely. Your player was released in 2011 and Vizio may have stopped producing updates for it.

If your problem Blu-ray discs are not region A or no region they probably cannot be played in a normal Blu-ray player sold in N. America. Very few of the Blu-ray players ever sold in N. America can be hacked to make them region free for Blu-ray and I found no hacks for your player. However there are places that sell Blu-ray players (at a higher price) with hardware modifications or custom firmware to make them region free. If your player doesn't play any Blu-ray discs, even those from the same country where you bought the player, maybe there is a hardware problem and you need a new Blu-ray player.
    Thanks. The two Blu ray disc's I have don't have this region designation that I can find with my magnifying glass and bad eyes. Neither cases(for dark knight rises and rise of planet of thwbapes) have anything. I should find the same insignia right? And you're saying that if a disc doesn't have one then it will only work on a player ALSO without this regional spec? If that's the case then case solved adn I need to get a disc with this region mark to test it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just looked at one of my Blu-ray movies. It doesn't say that it is Region A anywhere on the disc or the case but there is a notice on the case that says "not authorized for sale or rental outside the USA and Canada".

If you bought your Blu-ray movies at a brick-and-mortar store inside the USA they are 99.99% certain to be Region A. Online sellers like Amazon may sell imported Blu-ray discs that are region free or for other regions but the listing usually discloses that the discs are imported or that they won't be playable in the USA or Canada. Region free/no region discs may not be rejected on account of the region code difference but still might not play due to having a frame rate or resolution that is incompatible with some N. American TVs, especially older TVs.

[Edit]I just thought of something else. Is your Blu-ray player connected to the TV using HDMI or using one of the analog connections? I have seen at least one older Blu-ray player that has analog connections but those connections only work for DVD playback. Blu-ray playback requires an HDMI connection.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Sep 2020 at 13:31.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote