VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was hoping to get some help with creating avi's. I have a large collection of 1080p video files stored in .mkv and I like to convert to avi to watch on my dvd player. avi seems to be the only format it can handle via a usb drive which is how I do my viewing. This is a bedroom setup, my main setup is through a bluray player and requires no conversion. However. I have been doing this for sometime now and I have always been wondering if I am getting the best quality possible. I am using xmediarecode. I select their standalone dvd player preset, load my file and then edit it as following: I select the codec to mpeg4 and fourcc to xvid. I use vbr and set max bitrate to 5200 and bitrate (I'm guessing this is average) to 4200. Display mode progressive. Then I just set the resolution I want, which is max supported by my player of 720x408. None of the other settings make any sense to me so I leave them at default. Is there anything more I can do to get a higher quality ? 20minute files are being completed at 400mb. File size is not a concern of mine, it can be larger.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use ffmpeg for this - just follow guidelines from https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/MPEG-4 and you should end with satisfactory results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. Quality is priority number 1 for me. Will this do a better job than xmedia recode?
    Quote Quote  
  4. IMHO XMedia Recode use ffmpeg - difference seem to be interface - for large scale (many files) conversions i personally prefer ffmpeg and script than GUI based software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    For anything DVD related (or MPEG2 related in general), I use AVStoDVD.

It uses HCEnc 2-pass encoding which is just about as good as you can expect when encoding something to DVD spec (you have to MAKE SURE to tell it to convert the file to interlaced, however). It will give you several output options; you can export to DVD folder structure, a burnable ISO file, or a raw MPEG2 stream. You could check whether your DVD player can support a .mpg container, I think it would be weird if it didn't.

If not, you can export to the .mpg file and then use Avidemux to copy the file without re-encoding it into an .avi container.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing to check into is the file format capabilities of the Blu-Ray player on the manufacturer's web site. I had a similar problem of "invalid file format" until I found the supported container, video, and audio formats. In my case AC-3 audio was not supported, but AAC worked fine, which saved a complete reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I do like to use xmedia recode for its gui interface and I rarely need to convert more than 5 files at a time so speed isn't a huge factor for me. I have read a few different guides on the avi format and tweaked some settings to improve quality but I was wondering, are there any guides out there which detail each setting option and how they work so I can configure this with the high possible quality. I have a 6850k cpu overclocked to 4.3GHz so it can handle all modern cpu instructions but there are still so many options that I don't understand in settings like motion estimation and quantizers and dithering algorithm.
    And war, war never changes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think for 720x408 is your bitrate bit overkill <- hope right word. So you needn't bother about motion estimation, higher better compression and quality then. Quantizer lower better quality at much bigger size penalty. But you are using max and average bitrate, IMHO not suitable for you. Your source video is compress in more advanced codec, but resolution of Xvid is several time lower. Therefore I think the bitrate is too much. Remember Xvid at bitrate about 910kbps for SD content. But it was 2 pass encode to fit CD. And you have four times bigger bitrate for almost same resolution...
    Hope I'm not wrong as usual

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of work, reconverting files just to view them in the bedroom

think i would buy another BD player for the bedroom, assuming the BR TV is HD with HDMI input

BD players are getting lost cost, with MFG pushing 4K hardware
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah I do plan on just getting a bluray player as a all in one home theater package because TV speakers are useless. I don't find it too much hassle for now though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or just get a standard Chromecast or other small HDMI media player connected to a TV. Just about every small media player comes with H.264 decoders (usually at least High@4.1 capable decoding), which I assume these 1080p videos are.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yeah I know there are many other options out there, hell I could even re use an old pc as a htpc, but my point here is what can I do to maximize the quality of dvd compatible .avi files?
    Quote Quote