VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I know this isnt the right section but I cant post it in the right section today....

I have been looking around for a specific answer for a few days now but I am just not having any luck.

I am looking to buy Panasonics DMR-ES25S (or similar that does HDMI)

I have two questions I am hoping you guys can help me out with....

If I hook up an external device and run it through the dvd player will that signal also be upconverted? This could be another dvd player, our vcr or gaming system.

We also have an old cheap dvd player that we have hacked to be all regions. I can play this through the Panasonic (no region hacks known) to play our movies from Europe and be upconverted?

I suppose I might as well thouw this in....
    Will I get better quality dubbing VHS tapes (or just watching them) If i get a Panasonic model that has the VCR built right in as opposed to hooking my current vcr (quite old but still works fine) up to a dvd recorder?
    Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose it depends on the device. For example, in an LG DVD recorder with upconverting HDMI output, HD upconversion occurs ONLY on DVDs being played, NOT on incoming signals on the inputs currently being monitored or recorded. You have to examine that Panasonic closely because they don't tell explicitly if they upconvert external signals or not. IMHO, across devices I've already encountered, upconversion is somewhat overrated. I use a Panasonic PTAE900 720p projector and frankly, on most DVDs, it's hard to tell the difference between progressive scan 480p or 576p compared with upconverted 720p (which I chose to match my display device' native resolution).
    As for the combo VHS/DVD devices, it would have been nice if there was a common AV output for playback of both; only one connection to TV would be needed. But in ALL models I've come across, the component & S-video outputs only the DVD, while VHS can only be taken from good old composite output. I guess circuitry for converting VHS to component is too expensive to incorporate. This means that in such devices the DVD section is still separate from VHS; the only common thing is the chassis, & you'll not get any benefit compared with using separate DVD and VHS devices to begin with.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. When using a RAM disc the Panasonic is capable of simultaneous record and playback so viewing an external input via HDMI upconversion is theoretically possible.

2. Last I heard the US spec Panasonic does not support the european PAL format. Any input via another DVD player would have to be converted to NTSC first.

3. I haven't tried it myself but other Panasonic owners tell me that recordings made from VHS tape look better than the original (subject to copy protection). In order to bypass copy protection it may be necessary to use an external VHS player plus so-called "stabilizer" unit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Very good to know. The native display on ours is 1080i. Hopefully the upconvert will be worthwhile. Very dissapointing about it not converting the incoming signals to hdmi. I will try to verify with Panasonic if it will work that way or not and let you all know!

Anyone here have a 1080i dispaly and have experiences with upconvert - good or bad? if it makes a difference I have an HP 37 inch widescreen lcd HDTV.
    Thanks!
    Chris
    Quote Quote