VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am wondering if anyone has come across a good data recovery program for DVD-RW? (Preferably freeware, or one with a free trial so I can see if it can actually access the files.)

I had a DVD-RW with about 3GB worth of music vids and accidently quick-erased it before realising what it was. I know the likelyhood is that I may not recover them at all, but since then I have only written about 1GB to the disc at any one time, so I can hopefully retrieve something.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not sure data is written to DVD the same way it is to your HDD, since DVDs use a propritary driver for that, but you can give http://www.restorer2000.com/ a try. Sorry, I don't have a DVD burner (it's on its way right now) so I can not verify if it works. I have the Pro version. It's saved my arse a couple of times. Well worth the $50
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks stiltman. In fact I had started d/loading that already and cancelled it because I didn't think it would be of any use to me. But I'm trying it anyway.

The main problem is most of the other programs I have tried are for FAT32, NTFS and CD's (I was amazed at what gets kept on my HDD for a while, I found 20GB worth of DVD Rips).

But any more suggestions are still appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Stiltman. Just tried the program suggested above. It was the same as the other program I tried, it cannot read the disc for the same reason as posted above.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pixel
    @Stiltman. Just tried the program suggested above. It was the same as the other program I tried, it cannot read the disc for the same reason as posted above.
    did you try http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster.htm

googled
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yep, I tried that first, but as I currently have info on the disc it just reads that info and won't look for anything else.

I will try erasing it and then try IsoBuster again though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It didn't work.

It doesn't matter anyhow. I just thought it would be cool to recover the videos. Half of them were crap anyway. They were from when I just started out doing dvd's (like half a year old) but I did half of them just for the sake of it I guess, so I'm not upset about it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pixel
    It didn't work.
    Bummer
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pix,

Go to www.arrowkey.com. Their CD/DVD diagnostic software has a trial version. Haven't tried it myself though...

Another is CDCheck at http://elpros.si/CDCheck/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks, I'll try that too.
    Quote Quote