VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I've been trying to transfer some tapes using a Sanyo VHS/DVD combo unit and I'm getting this funny vertical banding pattern on screen and on the recording.

What is it and any ideas how I can remove it? 20191012_233931.mp4

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was probably recorded on the tape that way (interference) or you currently have an active interference source. If professionally recorded commercial tapes (Hollywood for example) don't have the same noise then it's probably not an active source and simply was recorded on the tape like that. In which case I have no idea how to remove it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You would probably have better luck removing the noise if you had captured as interlaced SD video rather than using a hardware deinterlacer/upscaler. But a sequence like this AviSynth script can remove a lot of the noise from the file you uploaded:

Code:
    LSmashVideoSource("20191012_233931.mp4") 
    even = SelectEven().RemoveDirtMC(50)
    odd = SelectOdd().RemoveDirtMC(50)
    Interleave(even, odd)
    RemoveDirtMC(50)
    You can play around with the strength of RemoveDirt() to get more or less noise removal.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You would probably have better luck removing the noise if you had captured as interlaced SD video rather than using a hardware deinterlacer/upscaler. But a sequence like this AviSynth script can remove a lot of the noise from the file you uploaded
    The video OP uploaded was a hand held Samsung Galaxy recording of a CRT or LCD screen.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    It was probably recorded on the tape that way (interference) or you currently have an active interference source. If professionally recorded commercial tapes (Hollywood for example) don't have the same noise then it's probably not an active source and simply was recorded on the tape like that. In which case I have no idea how to remove it.
    It's on commercially removed tapes as well. I'm guessing there's some intereference somewhere. I don't know where to start looking through. I'll disconnect everything and start again from scratch and see what happens.

[Attachment 50507 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 50508 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You would probably have better luck removing the noise if you had captured as interlaced SD video rather than using a hardware deinterlacer/upscaler. But a sequence like this AviSynth script can remove a lot of the noise from the file you uploaded:

Code:
    Interleave(even, odd)
    RemoveDirtMC(50)
    You can play around with the strength of RemoveDirt() to get more or less noise removal.
    Sorry, yes, I hadn't transferred it to computer, just played it on the recorded DVD.

I'll give this a whirl though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is interference indeed. see follow up >
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 13th Oct 2019 at 07:19. Reason: error correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Translation of this:

It was probably recorded on the tape that way (interference) or you currently have an active interference source. during the capture, If professionally recorded commercial tapes (Hollywood for example) don't have the same noise then it's probably an active source at the time of the recording or, play this tape on a different setup to see if same "banding" is still present.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are seeing this across all tapes, including the commercial ones then it might be the RF modulation output (coax) causing problems. I've had worse experience with an old Sony HiFi unit I had that had such bad noise coming from the RF (coax) module that it bled into the yellow composite output too. Thankfully that Sony unit allowed for the RF unit to be replaced by having it fit into a slot, so I simply removed it and now don't have a coax output on that unit. I had the unit since the 90s and it was perfectly fine back then but in the last decade it went bad. Some VCRs allow for easy removal of the RF module and others have it baked into the rest of the board, so you might not be able to remove it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by intolerantreads View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You would probably have better luck removing the noise if you had captured as interlaced SD video rather than using a hardware deinterlacer/upscaler. But a sequence like this AviSynth script can remove a lot of the noise from the file you uploaded:

Code:
    Interleave(even, odd)
    RemoveDirtMC(50)
    Sorry, yes, I hadn't transferred it to computer, just played it on the recorded DVD.

I'll give this a whirl though.
    Processing will be different for the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is not present on another VCR unit, so it must be interference from the Sanyo unit.

I do have a tape cleaner that I will try and see if this makes any difference to things.
    Quote Quote