VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking to purchase a new camera which is a US version, because it fit's my budget range.
    Problem is, it obviously is NTSC. I have been told that VCL will convert this to PAL. Is that correct?
    If not can anyone recommend something that does please?

I want to edit my movies in Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 10. so any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really need to convert to PAL?

If you are just going to play on computers/media players it doesn't matter. And most DVD Players supports NTSC DVD-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VCL? Do you mean VLC? Is this a camera that shoot progressive video or a camcorder shooting interlaced video? Good NTSC to PAL conversion of interlaced video is hard. Actually, it's non-existent. Vegas can do the conversion -- poorly. I suspect VLC will do a poor job too. Do yourself a favor -- buy the PAL version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for those quick reply's.

# Baldrick... I have a Pioneer Plasma TV and just assumed I'd need to convert to PAL to watch a finished result.
    Are you saying that my DVD player(Denon 2500BT) will automatically play NTSC?
    Sorry to be so dumb, I'm fairly new to movie editing etc.

# jagabo....Doh!!! yes I did mean VLC

Am thinking of the NTSC cam as moneys getting tight at the moment. And TBO it's not a dedicated Movie cam (Don't moan at me please )
    It's a Panasonic FZ150 Bridge cam with HD progressive (I think) movie. I've been into still photography for several years and would like to try movies.
    As still cams have advanced in this format, I thought it'd be a good idea to have one that does all. I realise it won't be as good as a dedicated Video cam, but thought I give it a try and maybe upgrade later.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most PAL DVD players and TVs can display NTSC video.

That camera can shoot both progressive and interlaced. You shouldn't have any problems editing the progressive video in Vegas -- although AVCHD can be tough to edit if you don't have a fast computer. Playing back 60 fps material on a 50 fps display results in 10 little jerks every second (as on frame out of every 60 is thrown out). That's barely noticeable.

Most still cameras have problems with rolling shutter distortion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_65IQ9U-Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItYdfn-C0o&feature=related
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks jagabo.

I've had a good look at most of the vids on youtube and i'm pretty impressed withe the quality (good enough for me)
    But I've been giving it some thought ( you frightened me a bit lol)and I think I'll wait a while and get a PAL model

Is there a Vegas platinum 10 tutorial on this forum somewhere?
    Quote Quote