VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe the main feature that makes the 310 better than the 110 is the ability to record component video. If your Roku has component output the 310 can probably record that without needing an HDMI splitter. In theory component video can include CGMS-A to prevent copying. But I don't know if the Roku includes that, or if the 310 responds to it.
    The current Roku models don't have any analog ports. I don't recall if any of the older models had component out.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is a chart in the English section of the manual with recommended settings based on the desired quality or hours per GB. The settings below relate to optimum quality, good quality, and the maximum number of hours per GB at a watchable quality:

HD 1080p30/1080p25: 20 Mbps, 18 Mbps, or 15 Mbps
    HD 1080i30 /1080i25: 15 Mbps, 12 Mbps, or 10 Mbps
    HD 720p60/720p50: 20 Mbps, 15 Mbps, or 10 Mbps
    SD 480i30/576i25/480p60/576p50: 7.5 Mbps, 5 Mbps, 3Mbps
    Thanks for the numbers. 20 Mb/s is probably adequate for 1080p30 and 720p60. Too bad 1080i is restricted to 15 Mb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bentley View Post
    Someone mentioned that XFinity, Comcast and Cox broadcast SyFy as "copy freely." Does that mean that I can record *their* SyFy streams onto any old DVR?
    For the most part TV service providers only allow using their own equipment to record and their DVRs won't allow recordings to be exported. If someone has cable service that can supply CableCARDs to customers, TiVo is the exception to that rule. There is software for TiVo that allows exporting recordings to a computer. The Silicon Dust HDHomerun Prime is a digital cable tuner that accepts a CableCARD, like a TiVo. With the HDHomerun Prime installed on your home network and connected to cable, copy-freely channels can be recorded using some third-party software on a Windows PC and using theSiliconDust's paid DVR software on a Windows PC, Android TV device, Linux PCs, select NAS models or a Mac.

EDIT: according to this website, SyFy broadcasts in 1080i. Does that mean that the Avermedia 130, mentioned earlier as having problems with 1080p60, can handle its broadcasts after all?
    TV service providers can broadcast channels at a different resolution than the channel's own satellite transmission uses. For example, Xfinity supplies Syfy at 720p. Also, streaming video is progressive and the Roku uses streaming to access its channels so the HD video it receives is either 720p or 1080p. The Roku may or may not be able to offer 1080i as an output resolution to record with a capture device. I don't know what options a Roku provides for HDMI output.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Apr 2020 at 20:25. Reason: clarity, added NAS option
    Quote Quote  
  4. My Roku Ultra can be set to 720p60 or 1080p60 HDMI output -- no 1080i option. The Sling.tv app on the Roku is set to "highest quality" and appears to be getting a 1080p30 stream for the SyFy channel (~5 Mb/s).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The current Roku models don't have any analog ports. I don't recall if any of the older models had component out.
    The first generations Rokus, circa 2010-11 like my N1100 had them. However, they no longer support a lot of channels (e.g. Netflix, Hula) and can't be updated for newer channels.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hah! I'm only mid-40s. Not super-old, but enough that I apparently haven't taped a TV show in 20 years! I'd rather not give out my location, sorry, but I get TV through a Roku box.

Hurdle #1 has been jumped: I can now watch the SyFy channel. (Via the Roku SyFy app, with a SlingTV subscription.)

Hurdle #2 is to purchase a DVR. Any recommendations? Mainly I just need it to be able to record for up to 11 hours straight at very good (1080) quality. I don't need fancy bells and whistles; I don't even need to program it -- I want one where I can just hit "record", walk away for 11 hours and then come back and hit "stop." And I guess the more storage it has, the better, since I might be recording 11 hours a week for the next month...

I see online that most DVRs require a subscription to work?!? Is that just to access online programming guides, or is it more?

Advice on buying my first DVR would be most welcome! Thanks!

(The SyFy marathons start Thursday morning so I'd like to have it in the house and set up in about 48 hours.....buying locally is going to be fun given the pandemic.)
    Hah! I'm old too! 46! Technology is whipping by so fast that records have come back in style
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hdpvr.html Hauppauge hd pvr 1212 If u can find one. It's a video capture device that connects to your computer an uses Arcsoft Showbiz software to encode the video an save it on your pc/laptops hard drive. It has component input, thus analog so you avoid the entanglements w/ HDCP encryption that HDMI has. Most DVR's (I have Cox DVR, an Dish Network DVRs) have component outputs, however the Roku is not going to have it, but i use another device on my Roku to convert HDMI to component. The ViewHD VHD-H2YVs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-VHD-H2YVs-HDMI-to-YPbPr-VGA-Coverter/124074785792?hash...UAAOSw849ePOYm Never had any issues w/ recording off my Roku using that an my hauppauge. The software w/ the Hauppauge (Arcsoft) allows you set bitrate/quality etc. Larger the quality, the larger the file, an u can also select file type. I use .TS (transport stream) w/ a fairly high quality, and about 2 hours worth is around 10gig's. I can then turn around an convert that file to BluRay format (using MultiAVCHD along w/ a bunch of other programs to make it work right, including ffmpeg, etc. I think theres a thread somewhere in the forum that explains all u need an how to set it up) an burn to disk using a Blu-ray burner, but you wouldnt need to do that, you just want the files. The files you can transfer to a thumbdrive (as long as u re-format said thumbdrive to NTFS aka non fat32, so that u CAN actually transfer large files to it). Most TV's these days have USB inputs an will understand how to play these video files.

Additionally I also bought 1 of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR533H-F7-HDD-amp-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner...SP0D6gc1NtE9F+

Now this is a DVR w/ HDD and DVD recorder. It receives OFF Air signal via digital ANT but u can also feed into it composite video (analog Red/yellow/white RCA), which of course is not HD but at least it gives u the option to record to the hard drive or straight to DVD. U can subsequently burn from the drive to DVD later. The manual is pretty good to explain how to use it. Of course if your going to use a Roku only, an not a Cox/Verizon/Xfinity DVR, you'll need to get a converter as well. I use this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Mini-1080P-HDMI-to-RCA-Audio-Video-AV-CVBS-Adapter-Co...CABEgI8GfD_BwE But i just tested it w/ the Roku an u have to power it. With most devices, the HDMI is enough to power it, but somethings you have to connect a usb cable 2.0? cable to power it. Most cable boxes i've seen have RCA composite outputs, but not all. And w/ the Magnavox DVR you can set timers just like the old fashioned VCR. It is quite expensive though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I broke out my old Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition and set it up with the Roku Ultra.

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hdpvr2-ge.html

Code:
    Roku --> HD PVR 2, HDMI Out --> TV
             HD PVR 2, USB Out  --> Computer
    As expected the Roku Ultra's HDMI output is HDCP protected. The HD PVR 2 wouldn't record it -- it wouldn't even pass the signal through to the TV.

So I added my HDMI splitter into the chain and everything then worked fine.

Code:
    Roku --> HDMI Splitter --> TV
             HDMI Splitter --> HD PVR 2, USB Out --> Computer
    I was able to watch and record every channel I tried. Including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. 1. Panasonic dmr-ez48v vhs+dvd deck.
    Any signal you give it over rf, rca, composite, it can record top vhs tape or dvd.

2. Hdmi out from anything thru hdmi copy protection stripper box into any hd video recorder (hard drive, sd drive, pc based).
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/?amp=1
    https://www.elgato.com/en
    Https://www.Hauppauge.com
    https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/remove-hdcp-hdmi-signal/

A zillion ways.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry for abandoning the thread, it's been a busy few days. Lots of neat discussion posted while I was gone! Thanks, everyone.

I've read elsewhere that SyFy currently broadcasts at 1080p60, but SlingTV only provides it at 1080p30 -- which seems to confirm jagabo's findings. Aggravating, but not much I can do about it unless I switch providers.

I've investigated the AverMedia 130 and 310, and the Hauppauge HD PVR2, and all record up to 1080p30. That's good enough for my current source, but I'm thinking I should "future-proof" my purchase and buy something with the ability to record at 1080p60. Can anyone suggest a device that will do that?
    Quote Quote  
  11. https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-4k60-s-plus
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensitypro4k
    Go crazy and future proof all the way up to 4k 60hz!

Else
    https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60-s-plus
    https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hdpvr60.html

All assuming you've got the hdmi copy stripper box.
    Anything analog, you'd have to convert to hdmi with another box if the recorder doesn't have analog inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bentley View Post
    I've read elsewhere that SyFy currently broadcasts at 1080p60
    Not likely. The standards in the USA 720p60 and 1080i30 (60 fields per second).

I've investigated the AverMedia 130 and 310, and the Hauppauge HD PVR2, and all record up to 1080p30. That's good enough for my current source, but I'm thinking I should "future-proof" my purchase and buy something with the ability to record at 1080p60. Can anyone suggest a device that will do that?
    I gave two examples in post #20. Both are standalone devices capable of recording at 1080p60.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by bentley
    Hmm. This post on the YoutubeTV subreddit claims that SyFy began streaming in 60fps last year. Do they mean 720p60, then?

Originally Posted by jagabo
    I gave two examples in post #20. Both are standalone devices capable of recording at 1080p60.
    You totally did and I totally missed them. Sorry and thanks!

Originally Posted by babygdav
    Go crazy and future proof all the way up to 4k 60hz!
    Thanks to you too, babygdav! That's not a bad idea, actually...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by bentley
    Hmm. This post on the YoutubeTV subreddit claims that SyFy began streaming in 60fps last year. Do they mean 720p60, then?
    720p60 and 1080i30 are broadcast standards for US cable TV, OTA TV, and satellite TV. Streaming video is always progressive as far as I know, so you'll probably never see 1080i30 delivered via streaming but you might see 1080p30.

Even though YoutubeTV uses 1080p60 for streaming some things, including SyFy, that doesn't mean that SlingTV or the SyFy app use 1080p60 for streaming SyFy. They could be streaming video at 1080p30 or 720p60 instead. However, regardless of the framerate received, your Roku box apparently outputs 1080p video at 60 frames per second over HDMI. So if you want to record at 1080p, ideally you would use a capture device that captures 1080p60 video at 1080p60.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And to be clear, NOBODY in the US broadcasts at 4k yet. (Streaming possibly, sat uplink definitely, but not cable/OTA).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    And to be clear, NOBODY in the US broadcasts at 4k yet. (Streaming possibly, sat uplink definitely, but not cable/OTA).

Scott
    True. 4k tv with 4k ota tuners and broadcasts coming later this year.
    https://www.tvtechnology.com/resources/atsc-30-the-skinny-on-nextgen-tv
    Quote Quote  
  17. Even if SyFy is streaming 1080p60 somewhere almost everything they show is shot on film at 24 fps. What would really be nice is a device that can decimate properly from 30p or 60p back to 24p before encoding. I don't know of any that does that though.

Also, don't forget that 4K uses a new HDMI encryption algorithm. I don't know if there are any HDCP bypass device for that yet.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Even if SyFy is streaming 1080p60 somewhere almost everything they show is shot on film at 24 fps. What would really be nice is a device that can decimate properly from 30p or 60p back to 24p before encoding. I don't know of any that does that though.

Also, don't forget that 4K uses a new HDMI encryption algorithm. I don't know if there are any HDCP bypass device for that yet.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqFwo4_sanU
    https://cinnafilm.com/abq-firm-takes-award-winning-film-tech-to-the-cloud/
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oq4wE_XZjYk
    Hollywood level retiming used by the majors.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Three or four years ago there were some 4K-capable HDCP 2.2 strippers but the models that did this were quickly withdrawn from the market or re-designed. I haven't heard of any new ones since.
    Quote Quote  
  20. A great forum topic this is!
    I am from the Netherlands and dealing with the same issue as the OS.
    I am planning to buy the KELIIYO Hdmi Splitter and the EZRecorder 130.

@ jjeff , bentley
    With these two , would it then be possible to record streams from my TV Set Top Box ?

What would be the setup when I have both the splitter and the EZRecorder?

Do I need to connect the HDMI cable from the Set Top Box to the -> Splitter (HDMI IN?) and then a HDMI cable from the Splitter to the EZRecorder ?
    Appreciate the help.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you have it correct, HDMI out of your TV Set Top Box to the Keliiyo's HDMI IN and it's out would go to your HDMI recorder. You can feed the Keliioy's other outputs to anything you want, in my case it goes to my monitor.
    Note for best resolution I have my EZ-130 set to "real time mode" but use "maximum length" for quality as I couldn't really tell any difference and it made the smallest file size, your opinion may differ so I'd suggest you try all options.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks for the help! Just ordered the items, so I hope I can try it out asap!
    Will let you know the outcome !
    Quote Quote  
  23. For satellite reception: DVBSky S960 V2 USB Box with DVBViewer as recording software http://www.dvbviewer.com/en/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm old. In the 1990s, if I wanted to record a show I'd insert a tape in my VCR and hit record. Simple. But TV tech has moved on without me and now I'm hopelessly lost. What's the modern-day digital equivalent of a VCR and a tape?

The SyFy Channel is about to start marathons of Battlestar Galactica and Xena: Warrior Princess that include all-new interviews with the cast. I'd like to record these interviews (digitally) and keep them, but I have no idea how. Is it even legal to record and keep TV shows anymore??

I know DVRs exist, but as far as I know they don't have "tapes" like VCRs did -- they have an internal drive and once they're full, that's it -- and you can't copy files off them. Not great if I want to record 100+ episodes of a show.

(The other hurdle is that I don't have cable...I'm currently investigating the SyFy app for our Roku box.)

So how do people record and keep shows in the digital 21st century? Is there a simple way that I don't know about?

EDITED FOR CLARITY: Sorry, I don't mean "how do I record modern TV to a VHS tape?" I mean "how do I record modern TV to a digital format that I can keep?"
    People have already answered this question better than I can. But man, it just takes a time capsule-like question such as this to realize just how far fair-use laws and corporate practice have shifted against the casual consumer in the United States. It is far, far down the list of social concerns, but it is quite a sobering thing to ponder how we got here.
    Quote Quote