VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought a used Toshiba RD-XS35 HDD recorder. It came without a remote. Since I have a lot of Toshiba equipment I did find another DVD recorder remote did kind of work, but many functions I did not have access to, so I ordered an after market remote from China that I received today. One thing I have found out it is a very complicated HDD Recorder. Half of the stuff on the menu I have no idea what it is. My KR410 is simple compared to this. Anyway, I wanted the HDD function, so I got the unit. Now, how do I set up a timer to record a program off my TVRO satellite receiver each day? There doesn't seem to be be a manual timer. Or at least I have not found one. Is there a manual timer I can set to record a program every day? This is weirdest machine I have ever seen. My KR410, I can set to record every day on to a DVD, so why so complicated to do the same function on to the HDD? Or am I missing something? No manual came with the RD-XS35, and I found one on line, but I still cannot find a way to set up a manual recording. Also even the remote did not come with a manual, so I have just pushed buttons to see what they do.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is the manual for the Toshiba RD-XS35 HDD recorder - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/372877/Toshiba-Rd-Xs35.html#manual
    look under recording
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the quick reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked out the manual (again), and it looks like a TV Guide has to be downloaded to do manual timer recordings. I don't see any other way. If this is the case, what a screwy machine. First of all, using it for a TVRO set up there is no guide and everything now guide-wise is digital. So I am even more confused as before. I thought about calling Toshiba, but since this recorder goes back 15 years, i doubt they could be much help. The only thing, unless someone else has information I have not found, is to just let the HDD record all day, and pick the shows I want to record to DVD. But that seems a bit nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately The XS-35 uses the now-defunct TVGOS which totally screws things up besides making an already complex machine even worse. My XS35 is shelved and I never really used it for timer recordings but my HDD Panasonics also have TVGOS and on those anyway one could setup manual events, including weekly ones. Sorry I'm not sure if the Toshiba can do the same but hopefully one of the regular Toshiba XS users will see this post and respond.
    The XS machines make wonderful recordings, the best DVDR I've used picture quality and feature-wise but they are incredibly complex and not all that intuitive, then throw in the mix of using a non-OEM remote and you've got a lot on your hands
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Toshibas with HDD were very advanced, complex, elaborate machines marketed more towards "enthusiast geeks" who wanted to make Hollywood-level DVDs than "Joe Average" who just wanted an easy HDD recorder for temporary time shifting of TV shows. Adding another layer to this complexity was the ghastly TVGOS feature, which unfortunately poisoned nearly every DVD/HDD recorder model made between 2004-2006. Compounding this further, the things are next to useless without their original remotes. Many common tasks require referencing the instruction book and pushing the original buttons shown: try this on a generic replacement remote with mislabeled buttons in the wrong positions and you'll likely lose your mind in short order. Finally, they're about as reliable as Kylie Jenner's net worth statements: really not the best choice for a daily driver TV recorder.

But... amazingly, it seems you found one that actually still works (tho all bets are off if you want to burn DVDs as well as make temporary HDD recordings). You may be able to get it to do what you want, but perhaps not without an additional investment in the original remote and some geek work in tracking down and installing a firmware update that provides more ability to neutralize the TVGOS. Much depends on what the previous owner did with the unit: was a time already set on it when you plugged it in, or does the clock flash 12:00 like a new VCR? If it is showing a time other than 12:00, you will have a lot more difficulty. If it is showing 12:00 (or 00:00 or ?? ??), you might get lucky: use the SETUP button on the remote to enter the initial settings menu, look for the date/time function, and set the correct date/time manually (bypassing TVGOS). Go to the link below, and follow the instructions to set manual timer recordings (same as you did on a VCR).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/1045852-toshiba-rd-xs35-...l#post14926825

If the timer works, you're good to go. If not, you have a project on your hands which may require the genuine Toshiba remote and perhaps a firmware upgrade (where you would obtain this fifteen years on I have no idea, other than trolling dvd recorder user forums and asking to borrow it). Possibly your unit already has the good firmware installed, someone on a user group might know how to verify. If you can't get manual timer recording to work you'll probably need to perform a "Guide And Clock Reset" using the remote and initial setup menu. Then, follow the instructions to deactivate TVGOS in post #39 of this thread:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/toshiba-rdxs32-34-35-tvgos-tv-guide-on-screen-discu...-2#post-364525

Or better yet, sell the XS35 to someone who can cope with/appreciate its convoluted operation, and look for a newer recorder made after 2006 with no TVGOS feature (Pioneer DVR-540 or 640, 450 or 550, 460 or 560, Sony RDR-HX780). Panasonic had an EH-55 model whose TVGOS could be avoided (I think- jjeff should be able to confirm this point), otherwise there was the EH-57, -58, -59 "multi-region models without TVGOS. Last resort you could look for a Magnavox H2160, MDR-513 or MDR-515 but they tend to be vastly overpriced second hand and aren't nearly as well made as Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony or Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your detailed report on the unit. Much appreciated. It does record to the HDD. Personally I could have cared less if it didn't record to a DVD, as I have it set up to go out to my other Toshiba DVD recorder. But it does manually record to the HDD or DVD. I can do that from the front panel. I checked that out when I got it. But it took 2 months to get a remote from China. I wanted it for the timer and HDD. If I remember correctly when I received it, I had to manually set the time as it was blinking 12:00 like any DVD or VCR. I did set the clock for the correct time. The remote I bought is supposed to be an exact replacement for the original remote, it is called a Toshiba SE-RO105, but it is not exactly the same. There are no HDD DVD buttons like the original remote. The original remote I did not find for sale on Amazon or Ebay. A lot of buttons on this remote do not work. I am not ready to give up on this machine, if I can figure it out. But boy, it is complicated to say the least! I will try a few more things you suggested, but I am wondering without the original that may be my biggest issue, but where to find one. But the unit does work. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mwdxer View Post
    Thank you for your detailed report on the unit. Much appreciated. It does record to the HDD. Personally I could have cared less if it didn't record to a DVD, as I have it set up to go out to my other Toshiba DVD recorder. But it does manually record to the HDD or DVD. I can do that from the front panel. I checked that out when I got it. But it took 2 months to get a remote from China. I wanted it for the timer and HDD. If I remember correctly when I received it, I had to manually set the time as it was blinking 12:00 like any DVD or VCR. I did set the clock for the correct time. The remote I bought is supposed to be an exact replacement for the original remote, it is called a Toshiba SE-RO105, but it is not exactly the same. There are no HDD DVD buttons like the original remote. The original remote I did not find for sale on Amazon or Ebay. A lot of buttons on this remote do not work. I am not ready to give up on this machine, if I can figure it out. But boy, it is complicated to say the least! I will try a few more things you suggested, but I am wondering without the original that may be my biggest issue, but where to find one. But the unit does work. Much appreciated.
    ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-RD-XS35-HDD-DVD-Recorder-Player-with-Remote-all-Acces...UAAOSwsc5eyyR0

there is another one for parts or repair and includes the remote - https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-parts-or-repair-Toshiba-160GB-HDD-DVD-Video-Recorder-RD-X...sAAOSw5CNepADc
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After searching, I found a reconditioned original Se-R0144 remote for the unit. I hope this will help. I am kind of like a fish out of water without a remote that works everything. I am hoping this will get me past the GOS Guide. At least I can give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just received the reconditioned remote and lo and behold, I found the record options scheduling recording times & dates menu. I have not tried it as yet, but at least I found it! You are totally correct that the after market remote is not good. Since I do have a working original remote, I will play around with the after market and see if I can find buttons that will lead me to the record options. Thank You!!! I really appreciate it. This is one complicated machine. Hopefully it will work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does still work, and while complicated, the quality is excellent for its format. I've still got a half dozen or so of them, and original remotes. Three units are still in my stack, though they don't get nearly as much use as they used to. Welcome to the Tosh club.
    Quote Quote