VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm living in the US and my new DVD-R (so I can record my pal tapes) has arrived with no power supply. Since I know electronics require very specific cords and I'm in the US and this is a European device, I have no idea what I'm doing. I already have the adapter, just need a cord.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Last edited by Cherbette; 24th Sep 2019 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Would something like this work?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Image
    [Attachment 50283 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 50284 - Click to enlarge]

this is the adapter I have and I have several US AC cords but again, I assume they will not work or will damage the unit.
    Last edited by Cherbette; 24th Sep 2019 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cord and adapter you selected should work, as long as you can go from USA 120 Volt to your UK machine's voltage of 230 Volt.
    Your adapter will need to step up the voltage and could generate a fair amount of heat so keep it in the open and ventilated if possible.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bought from Ebay ? Surely the seller has the power cord ?

Anyway. Look closely at the power socket on the back to see the type of connector ie 2 pin round/3 pin flat and acquire the cable to match.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X...+cord&_sacat=0

The shaver plug is un-fused so I would not get that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    The cord and adapter you selected should work, as long as you can go from USA 120 Volt to your UK machine's voltage of 230 Volt.
    Your adapter will need to step up the voltage and could generate a fair amount of heat so keep it in the open and ventilated if possible.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Bought from Ebay ? Surely the seller has the power cord ?

Anyway. Look closely at the power socket on the back to see the type of connector ie 2 pin round/3 pin flat and acquire the cable to match.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X...+cord&_sacat=0

The shaver plug is un-fused so I would not get that.
    The one pictured above that I purchased has 5 amp fuse
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you changed the picture etc. ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So you changed the picture etc. ?
    I removed the link and replaced it with the one I eventually purchased but yes thank you
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your sure your Panny isn't multi-voltage? Not saying it couldn't be 220v 50hz only but every international Panasonic I've had has a power supply rated 100-240v 50/60hz.
    If yours is truly only 220v I'd also expect it to be 50hz only, N. America is 60hz. Whether this matters will be seen. Personally, if it were me I'd simply purchase a 120v Panasonic type power cord and give it a try, I'd be more apt to try 120v into a 220v marked device than 220v into a 120v marked device, which if truly a 120v only device would be sure to blow something!
    I'm guessing the power cord you might need would be:
    https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-2-Slot-Polarized-Power-IEC320C7/dp/B0017UCTX8/ref=pd_sbs...H60RFESC0ZBMDK If polarized(probably not the case).
    Or:
    https://www.amazon.com/1-8Meter-Angled-NISPT-2-Replacement-Samsung/dp/B07QWX1CZ7/ref=p...H60RFESC0ZBMDK Non polarized and probably whats on the back of your Panasonic.
    Note I'm not suggesting either of these cords for the seller, I'd think you should be able to find a cord for <$5 as I have in the past, they are very common, not sure why I can't find any inexpensive ones now.......
    I think it's come up before where Panasonics from England only 220v but maybe multi-voltage, just as in the US ours almost always only say 120v, again I'd be more worried about plugging our 120v machine into England's 220v outlets but it's your call.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The UK ES10 has a 100-240V power supply.
    All you need is the figure-8 plug. I took the one from my old Playstation 1.

Step converters add noise. Don't do that.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. So you're saying I can pull the cord from my DMR ES25 (a US machine) and plug it into this ES10 and it will work??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    Your sure your Panny isn't multi-voltage? Not saying it couldn't be 220v 50hz only but every international Panasonic I've had has a power supply rated 100-240v 50/60hz.
    If yours is truly only 220v I'd also expect it to be 50hz only, N. America is 60hz. Whether this matters will be seen. Personally, if it were me I'd simply purchase a 120v Panasonic type power cord and give it a try, I'd be more apt to try 120v into a 220v marked device than 220v into a 120v marked device, which if truly a 120v only device would be sure to blow something!
    I'm guessing the power cord you might need would be:
    https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-2-Slot-Polarized-Power-IEC320C7/dp/B0017UCTX8/ref=pd_sbs...H60RFESC0ZBMDK If polarized(probably not the case).
    Or:
    https://www.amazon.com/1-8Meter-Angled-NISPT-2-Replacement-Samsung/dp/B07QWX1CZ7/ref=p...H60RFESC0ZBMDK Non polarized and probably whats on the back of your Panasonic.
    Note I'm not suggesting either of these cords for the seller, I'd think you should be able to find a cord for <$5 as I have in the past, they are very common, not sure why I can't find any inexpensive ones now.......
    I think it's come up before where Panasonics from England only 220v but maybe multi-voltage, just as in the US ours almost always only say 120v, again I'd be more worried about plugging our 120v machine into England's 220v outlets but it's your call.
    AC 220-240V 23W 50Hz this is exactly what it says on the back
    Quote Quote  
  15. Here's a photo of the back
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Views:	374
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	50293  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    AC 220-240V 23W 50Hz this is exactly what it says on the back
    Indeed that is what's written. However it's not accurate.
    It's 110-240V.
    I have the PAL ES10, using it with native power, using my PS1 figure-8 cord.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Trying it out this morning. I guess I should've waited for response. I will return these unnecessary purchases
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trust LS, he knows his stuff, I agree don't use a power converter unless absolutely necessary, as he said cheaper ones can do bad things to the power output.
    I didn't know the name of the plug but figure-8 makes sense as the end looks like that.
    Note I'm guessing your ES-25 will NOT work in your ES-10 as N. American machines are polarized and one side of the figure-8 is flat. You can sometimes force a figure-8 plug into a N. American (flat figure-8??) but I don't believe the other way around. If you can gently force it in, OK otherwise don't break anything.
    Often times mfgs. to comply with local UL type rules will not list all the voltages something will work on, don't ask me why but it just confuses things.
    If you don't have a figure-8 plug don't overpay for one, sounds like the PS1 uses the same cord as I'm sure tons of other things do, I just couldn't find a decently priced one on Amazon but I'm sure they have many <$5.
    Quote Quote  
  19. To make my two PAL VCRs work in the US I only had to change out the plug (cut, strip wires, add plug and crimp). They both work fine.
    Quote Quote