VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I purchased an used LG DR4912V DVD recorder a while ago to capture and record video signals from vhs tapes to dvd discs. Manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/93245/Lg-Dr4912.html While it can play dvd discs fine, there seems to be an issue with the remote not being able to switch AV input source. According to the manual, it should be done by pressing the AV button on the remote, but nothing happens, nor gets displayed on the DVD panel. Iinstead, the PR-xx continues to blink on the dvd recorder's display. The PR, program, can be changed without any issue though.

Most of the other buttons seem to work on the remote, could it be that the AV button is broken? Although on the front panel of the dvd recorder and not on the remote, the programm+ 1/-1 buttons don't seem to work

The recorder can record and finalize discs, but I can't see how the result turned out to be because of the dvd recorder seemingly not being able to change input source in order to find a proper signal

What I've tried so far:
    Used all the input composite connections including scart, as well as the input s-video input connection on the DVD recorder
    Tried different output monitors, like the computer's screen by letting the signal go through an usb capture device, and also a tv screen. I could get the video output to be displayed using all of the output jacks: rca, scart, and s-video on the dvd recorder (same with the vcr)
    Tried different jacks in the vcr as well, both scart and output S-video
    Clicked the setup button on the remote. It only seems to be possible to change programm or channel in the menu, instead of the AV1-4 input source, which is needed to get the signals from the vcr to be "caught" by the dvd recorder, to be able to display the picture from the vhs tapes
    Changed the batteries in the remote
    Pressed DVD on the remote, before pressing the AV button
    Pressed and held the AV button for a while/ pressed it repeatedly
    (Tried with a blank dvd disc to see if that would give any extra option)
    (Tried different modes by changing the position of the small black switch on the back of the vcr and the dvd recorder, just in case)

If there's no simple fix that I may have overlooked, I was thinking of getting one of those universal remotes and program the buttons with codes to get the corresponding function, although I havn't yet checked further which codes are the right ones for this dvd recorder

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I see a lot of OUTPUTS on that machine but only one yellow(video)/white/red INPUT via Google photos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see if you can try to disassemble the remote and gently
    clean it. it may be dirty since it is a used recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I see a lot of OUTPUTS on that machine but only one yellow(video)/white/red INPUT via Google photos.
    There are some input jacks on the front of the dvd as well, covered by a panel. But yea, no scart input that's right, just 2 sets of 3x RCA - yellow red and white (one RCA "set" in the front and another in the back of the dvd recorder) and one aditional s-video input in the front. I tried to use these, but without any success, probably because it's the malfunctioning button on the remote that's causing the issue

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see if you can try to disassemble the remote and gently
    clean it. it may be dirty since it is a used recorder.
    Thing is, even though I settled a deal with the seller and claimed warranty for the dvd recorder so I can return it and get a refund if I want to, there are at the same time no other dvd recorders with sli chipset currently available on the local market. Since it only seems to be one or a few buttons (only need the AV one to work) that are causing the trouble, I might risk to lose the warranty in case the remote would get damaged. Other than that it works to navigate the menus and finalize discs using the remote. Would it be safer to get an universal control and programm one button, or is it a hazzle to find and program the right code for the AV function?

I might still try disassemble the remote though even if it has no visible screws. Should I insert a knife in the crack of the remote (the one separating the bottom and the top) and carefully try to open it up? According to a video I saw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=gVr8eLW0-_o , is a rubber good for cleaning potential oxidation and dirt that may hinder the signal caused by a button to be received by the remote's "chip/circuit board (unsure of the term here)" once pressed?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if its still an issue

the manual says the SCART connectors are "backwards" to the normal convention

the TV output is on the "bottom" not the the "top"

the EXT input or DVD/SAT is on the "top" not the "bottom"

it also has a "switch" for changing the SCART from RGB to Component video signals, while the SCART is in RGB (mode) it will probably not output Component signals to the RCA phono or cinch connectors since those are only rated for low voltage

this recorder has four Inputs AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4 + DV in + tuner it is probably easy to mistakenly set the Input source to one that does not have a signal - you could try playing a Disc and the recorder should autoselect that as the source while you sort out whether the output is working or not
    Quote Quote  
  6. Excuse me I forgot to update the thread. Yea I thought it was something unusual about the scart connector placements, good to know.
    I purchased a replacement controller (didn't want to risk to lose the warranty) and switching with the AV button worked on the first attempt!

But then another issue arose, mini jump/skips when watching the video on the finished and finalized burned dvds (troubleshooting includes changing disc media, using different vcrs, cables, connector jacks, different, newer and older tapes which have smooth playback when connecting the vcrs to directly watch on tv, and so on.) Maybe I should start another thread for that later on, or get another dvd recorder. I have put the project on hold for a while because of this
    Quote Quote