VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had my Panasonic DVD recorder feeding into my Samsung TV via HDMI for a few years without problems.

In a recent lightning storm, the Samsung TV suffered fatal damage and I replaced it with a new SONY KD65A9F TV. The Panasonic DVD recorder is now connected to the new TV with the same HDMI cable.

Now, when I switch off the TV using the SONY remote, it not only switches off the TV, but the DVD player goes into some sort of standby mode or something? The Panasonic display panel is forever scrolling a message like “please wait” and will not produce any output until I press the Panasonic Remote’s Power button to switch it on again.

In normal conditions, I prefer to use the recorder’s dual tuners for normal viewing (and quick recording) so the Panasonic usually remains powered on - it is a nuisance to have to manually switch it on whenever I want to watch TV. Now, I have to switch on both the TV and the DVD recorder to watch TV.

As an experiment, I disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV and then pressed the SONY remote’s Power button. The TV went off but the DVD recorder remained on. So it is not being turned off by the SONY remote! And that is how it used to work with the old Samsung, and how I would like it to work now.

It seems there is some logic in the HDMI connection where the TV is signalling to the DVD player it is powering down? Would that be a reasonable assumption? What can I do about it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TVs can control other devices through CEC (which may be called something else on your set) which is sending errant signals to your recorder. Try another cable as it may have been damaged or been/gone bad. If that doesn't fix the issue, check your recorder's settings for CEC (or whatever it may be called). Also, your recorder may have been damaged by whatever caused your TV to die. Finally, check your TV's CEC settings as it's may be cause of the issue.

Edit: CEC is called BRAVIA Sync on Sony products. While it's supposed to be cross-manufacturer compliant, there's sometimes incompatibilities.
    Quote Quote  
  3. HDMI is very poor standard, and frequently different HDMI devices suffer from so called handshake problem. Sometimes Using "smart" HDMI cable may help to solve such issue. You can't also eliminate possibility that Samsung damaged your Panasonic DVD recorder HDMI port and some functionality doesn't work correctly (to provide full HDMI functionality usually 2 or 3 different blocks are required, Video/Audio/HDCP is performed by 1 device, where handshake is provided by different circuitry, frequently CEC may implemented by separate circuitry) - your DVDR HDMI may be partially corrupted.

Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    TVs can control other devices through CEC (which may be called something else on your set) which is sending errant signals to your recorder. Try another cable as it may have been damaged. If that doesn't fix the issue, check your recorder's settings for CEC (or whatever it may be called). Also, your recorder may have been damaged by whatever caused your TV to die. Finally, check your TV's CEC settings as it's may be cause of the issue.
    Yes, CEC may be also problem but usually CEC is vendor dependent and frequently devices from different vendors are ignoring commands from different vendor...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tumbi View Post
    I have had my Panasonic DVD recorder feeding into my Samsung TV via HDMI for a few years without problems.

In a recent lightning storm, the Samsung TV suffered fatal damage and I replaced it with a new SONY KD65A9F TV. The Panasonic DVD recorder is now connected to the new TV with the same HDMI cable.

Now, when I switch off the TV using the SONY remote, it not only switches off the TV, but the DVD player goes into some sort of standby mode or something? The Panasonic display panel is forever scrolling a message like “please wait” and will not produce any output until I press the Panasonic Remote’s Power button to switch it on again.

In normal conditions, I prefer to use the recorder’s dual tuners for normal viewing (and quick recording) so the Panasonic usually remains powered on - it is a nuisance to have to manually switch it on whenever I want to watch TV. Now, I have to switch on both the TV and the DVD recorder to watch TV.

As an experiment, I disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV and then pressed the SONY remote’s Power button. The TV went off but the DVD recorder remained on. So it is not being turned off by the SONY remote! And that is how it used to work with the old Samsung, and how I would like it to work now.

It seems there is some logic in the HDMI connection where the TV is signalling to the DVD player it is powering down? Would that be a reasonable assumption? What can I do about it?
    this might help - http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanual/NA/EN/hx850/brsyncset_uc.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem solved!

Thank you everyone who replied with helpful advice and suggestions. You have hit the nail on the head. The problem was caused by SONY’s Bravia Sync (or CEC ?). When that “feature” was disabled on the SONY TV, all was well again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, disabling HDMI control(or Bravia Sync on your sony) will take care of your issue, turning it off on either the TV or DVDR will work, either or both, makes no difference.
    To do it on your Panasonic DVDR:
    On your Panasonic remote select, Functions, other functions, setup, tv screen, functions of hdmi, ctrl with hdmi, and finally OFF for cntrl with hdmi.
    Man it sure is buried on the Pannys
    Quote Quote