VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the best screen capture program, free or paid?

I want to record the output of a Sony AX53 camcorder connected via HDMI and USB using an Elgato Cam Link 4K. The camera's output is captured by a program I have devised using ESCAPI and is displayed on the screen. It is this screen output that I want to record. It's OK if it records to an .avi file. I would ultimately like an .mp4 file but I can convert it using ffmpeg.

I have had problems with OBS studio: after several hours of displaying the output of my webcam, OBS locks up my computer good and tight, such that I must power the computer down and up again. My computer runs fine for weeks at a time without crashing when OBS Studio isn't running; it only crashes after several hours of running OBS Studio. I have reported this bug but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a fix. Plus, I do not need all of OBS Studio's many bells and whistles.

If it's a paid program, I would prefer a program which does not require periodic license renewal but is either free or a one-time purchase/perpetual license.

BTW, I was using a Magewell HDMI to USB converter. After a long time running continuously, the device became hot to the touch and stopped working. $300 down the drain.

Thank you.
    Last edited by chris319; 30th Mar 2023 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for posting that. I'll definitely read it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Some of those Magewells do run hot. Though not all that run hot have difficulty working. Disconnecting them for a bit to cool, then reconnecting usually puts them back in order. Obvs, don't put them near anything else that runs hot, and do put them in a spot where they can be ventilated. The nicer, 4k ones have better heat sink feature so they stay cooler better.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at Bandicam (Payware). It will capture into MP4 and is easier to set up than OBS. I haven't done any long-duration captures though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why would anyone pay for a screen recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read the OP. And stop judging people by what they do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The purpose of this thread is to seek recommendations for alternatives to OBS which crashes my machine. So far Bandicam has been recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The problem I have with troubleshooting OBS is that it takes several hours of displaying my webcam before it crashes. I have to launch it and wait 6 - 8 hours for it to lock up my machine. I suspect there may be a memory leak somewhere.

On their support forum I have said I will donate money to the OBS developers if they can fix it such that it can run for at least 48 hours without crashing. So far I've received no response.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm having some success writing a script to capture an individual window using ffmpeg.

Code:
    ffmpeg -y  -f gdigrab -framerate 29.97  -i title=Waveform waveform.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you s-mp for the link to foss VokoscreenNG I'm quite impressed with it's functions for a freebie.
    Quote Quote