VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a source video file for which mediainfo shows 1280*536 (2.40:1) for video stream. I run this in VLC and there are black bars on the top and bottom and when I change the aspect ratio within VLC to 16:9 it fills out all the screen and runs without black bars.

I now want to run this video from my native TV video player via USB without black bars (all screen filled in, my TV is a 32inch 16:9 TV)
    I've tried running the below outputs on TV but even though all run at native 16:9 within VLC, every single one of them still runs as 2.40:1 on my TV (i.e with top and bottom black bars) -

1. Remuxing this mkv in MKVTOOLnix with setaspectratio as 16/9.
    2. Remuxing this mkv in MKVTOOLnix with displayheight set as 720 instead of 536 to stretch it.
    3. Converting this mkv to mp4 with HD video converter factory pro and setting aspect ratio as 16:9
    4. Remuxing the converted mp4 with my mp4box gui with PAR set as 16:9 PAL

Can someone kindly suggest how shall I display play this video without black bars on my TV as my tv does not have a setting to change aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your tv is showing it correctly. Changing to 16:9 stretches the video vertically so all people are thinner than they should be.

If you really want to do this then you will have to re-size to 1280*720 16:9 and re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Obviously, your TV's media player ignores container level aspect ratio flags. You'll have to resize to a 16:9 frame size and reencode. But 2.4:1 movies are supposed to be veiwed at 2.4:1, not 16:9.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Your tv is showing it correctly. Changing to 16:9 stretches the video vertically so all people are thinner than they should be.

If you really want to do this then you will have to re-size to 1280*720 16:9 and re-encode.

Thanks.. This worked. But how does it work with the Windows players setting the aspect ratio themselves?

And can you suggest if re-encoding this is possible with wondershare video converter with just resizing it to 1280*720 instead of 1280*536 as there seems to be no option to setting the aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The are not setting it. They are over-riding the AR flag.

Do not use that program. Usually such converters just do what it says on the tin ie convert between formats/codecs.

Try handbrake or avidemux which has filters to resize etc.

My Sony (and I guess other makes) have AR settings such as Auto, Wide, Smart and Zoom. If yours has these then one might fit the bill. Even so you are crazy doing it in the first place. It's just this fobia about black-bars with an image that should NEVER fill the screen.
    Quote Quote