VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Lots of posts on RipBot, but they are pretty old and I am using the latest version.
    Need to compress an MKV from a Blu-Ray. Tried Handbrake, but it crashes on Windows 10.

Are there any current RipBot guides for shrinking to smaller MKV?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mkv2mpg.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	39275  

Quote Quote  
  2. No replies, but I was successful with this to shrink mkv from 33.1 GB to 8.3GB with about the same quality.

1. MKVCleaver x64 to strip out only Stream 0 Video and Stream 1 Audio.
    2. MKVToolNix to remux to mkv.
    3. PopCorn MKV AudioConverter to re-encode dts to AC3
    4. RipBot to re-encode to mkv only changing to 2-pass and lock size 8150.

Was quite simple and I really like the results.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mkv2mpg2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	39315  

Last edited by nicksteel; 7th Nov 2016 at 09:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you know that you can do all those steps in RipBot264?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks.

I didn't realize that RipBot could also select only the main audio track and encode it. Just haven't ever used before.

Really great all-in-one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you know MKVMergeGui can do all of this except the changing DTS to AC3, But then PopCorn MKV AudioConverter can do that part.
    So load the original file into MKVMergeGui and untick any tracks you don't want, then remux. Next using PopCorn MKV AudioConverter and fix the audio track. Done
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Did you know MKVMergeGui can do all of this except the changing DTS to AC3, But then PopCorn MKV AudioConverter can do that part.
    So load the original file into MKVMergeGui and untick any tracks you don't want, then remux. Next using PopCorn MKV AudioConverter and fix the audio track. Done
    Exactly what I settled with.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Old thread but i have the same question as OP and will borrow this thread instead of starting a new one. I also have large MKV files that i need to shrink. These MKVs are 1:1 rips from discs made with MakeMKV.
    I would like to keep the lossless audio tracks from the remux and shrink the video with about 50% of the bitrate.

Can this all be done with RipBot264 or do i need other software?
    How should i setup Ripbot if i want to keep the lossless audio and only encode the video?
    Is there any up to date guide showing these settings?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out myself.
    Last edited by rocknrolla115; 24th Mar 2018 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote