VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old DVD with video tutorials and the only way to play those is to run the DVD's dedicated video player.

The player is just garbage (you can't even run it in fullscreen), so I want to convert them to something compatible with modern players.

Unfortunately the .movs have been encoded with Sorenson Media Video 3 (QuickTime 5) and I just can't seem to find any info on converting that godforsaken codec. Audio is in AAC.

Any ideas? I'm using Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Qt pro, Ffmpeg.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    AviSynth decoders based on libavcodec (L-SMASH Works, FFMS2) should support SVQ3 (MOV files can probably be opened with LSMASHVideoSource). If not, there may still be the QTSource plugin which uses an installed QuickTime.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any easier way to do this, preferably using a program that has a GUI?

I just want to convert a few files without having to learn a scripting language. I just took a look at a few tutorials and that stuff is too complicated for me.
    Last edited by Ygramul; 27th May 2016 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    So you are unable to search for ffmpeg based GUI converters in VideoHelp's software archive, to find e.g. HandBrake, VidCoder, TEncoder, Hybrid, ... ?

And QuickTime Pro has a GUI, too: The QuickTime player, with enabled export feature. You just have to pay the license code.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake says "you must first scan a scource or setup your job before starting an encode".

VidCoder says "an error occurred while scanning".

TEncoder only converts audio and skips the video stream completely. The log shows a variety of errors ("error while decoding block", "error while decoding MB" etc.). I set the output to H264 + AAC. I tried both FFMpeg and Mencoder.

I'm not sure how to configure Hybrid based on my limited knowledge because that's some complex shit. A test encode gave me errors, anyway.

Quicktime Pro 7.7.9 doesn't detect the audio stream (even before the exporting process starts) and the output file is a white frame for the whole duration of the clip. No audio stream.

Here's a link to a sample file. You can take a shot if you want...

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vtbjmm7foa0vhyj/Annoying%20File.mov
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Well, the content appears to be copyrighted, so I guess the video stream might be encrypted. Hard to confirm. But because not even the QuickTime Player plays it, I believe it is a founded guess.

Audio plays fine, there are several streams inside (multiple languages), you just have to enable one of the streams in the media info dialog of QT Player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That was my conclusion also.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I just can't do anything with those clips outside of the dedicated player? That's lame. Anyway, thanks for help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You may try to capture screen and reconvert to some more common format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I guess that's my only option. I don't think any copy protection can beat the likes of Shadowplay.
    Quote Quote