VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, unusual question: can an MP4 video contain only 1 frame and an audio track of - for example - 1 minute?
    I would like to put an audio track on a single static image to create a video with only 1 frozen frame shown for the entire duration of the audio.
    Something like a JPG with audio... but in a video format like Mp4
    I perfectly know that I can export a timeline containing a single frozen image to a video of "x" frames per second and get a video as long as I want ... But my question is: why I should waste frames and MB weight when I just need 1 frame? Why I need to transform a single frame in something like 12/25 or 30 fps??

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by frenksisco View Post
    Hi, unusual question:
    I perfectly know that I can export a timeline containing a single frozen image to a video of "x" frames per second and get a video as long as I want ... But my question is: why I should waste frames and MB weight when I just need 1 frame?
    Because a video is normally a sequence of frames rather than 'just 1 frame'.
    Did you actually make a video and put the video size in relation to the size of the 1-minute audio? Encoders like x264 are very efficient in just repeating the same frame.
    To avoid playback issues I would be very hesitant to specify some odd (non standard) video framerates.

Perhaps you can collect some ideas from here:
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Slideshow
    Something like
    Code:
    ffmpeg -loop 1 -framerate 0.1 -i img.jpg -i audio.mp3 -c:v libx264 -crf 20 -c:a copy -shortest out.mp4
    Last edited by Sharc; 30th Dec 2019 at 04:01. Reason: added -framerate 0.1 (for 0.1fps video)
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by frenksisco View Post
    Hi, unusual question: can an MP4 video contain only 1 frame and an audio track of - for example - 1 minute?
    I have read "elsewhere" that since it's possible to create "stills with audio" in MPG and TS, then it should be possible to place "stills with audio" in an MP4 container.

For the notes: MPEG program streams containing only 1 frame of video and N frames of MP2 audio were a «feature» of the VCD format.

NOTICE, if you intend to play those files outside of a desktop or laptop, you will have to check whether the standalone player (or "device" ) supports the «feature».
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can create a video with a single frame and set the frame rate to 1/60 fps. That will cause the one frame to display for 60 seconds. Though some players may not play such unusual videos properly.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a lot to everyone! Excellent advices from each of you. Each method allowed me to create videos with very few frames. I also found a tutorial that explains how to do it in Virtualdub. If you go to "Video" - "frame rate ..." - "source rate adjustment" you find and option colled "change so the video and audio durations match" and if you check it the program automatically adapts the frame rate of 1 single jpg or png to the length of the audio track you use. For example if the audio lasts 10 seconds, the frame rate becomes 1frame for 10 seconds ... I tried it and it works perfectly. Thanks to averyone again!
    Quote Quote