VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When viewing any of my own produced DVDs on my TV the attached image is always overlaid at the top of the film for a few seconds after each scene selection starts, yet it does not do this with commercial produced DVDs. As my DVDs have been produced using differing camcorders, video editors, authoring software and burners I don't know where to start to see how I can correct this happening. Any ideas?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	playing_dvd_on_tv.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	39666  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check the settings of your set top DVD player for display options on audio detection?
    It’s either on the disc or a setting in the player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replying Case.
    The set top player lists 'Audio Settings' and 'BD/DVD Viewing Settings' and on inspecting both options I see no 'Display options on audio detection' and don't know how to find out how to look for that option on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look for a setting called ANGLE ICON on your
    Dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. To me, that display seems most likely generated by your television, less likely your player, least likely the dvd.

Many televisions get momentarily confused by non-commercial video sources, resulting in a split-second calibration of the audio. Sometimes this results in a brief display like you're getting, sometimes not, when it occurs it does usually get triggered as video titles/segments change on an authored, burned dvd.

The only way to be sure is to try one of these dvds in another system (different TV +player). Perhaps you can bring it with you to a friend or relative. If you see the exact same display on another system, it is embedded in the dvd somehow (I doubt this but its possible). If you don't get this display, or it looks different using another TV + player, then you're dealing with normal momentary calibration of the hardware.

To a degree, you could say the issue is with the disc because the TV or player is getting thrown by the audio each time the next video starts (or you skip chapters/speed search the disc). The trick is figuring out why, and that could take more effort than its worth. Some authoring software, and even standalone dvd recorders, simply encode slightly weird audio disruptions as each video segment begins. Some don't. Some TVs and players insist on displaying brief alerts as they adjust themselves to the audio stream, some don't.
    Last edited by orsetto; 24th Nov 2016 at 14:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info chaps and I will try both of your suggestions and let you know how I get on.
    Quote Quote