VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't we have an advanced video category that covers compositing, colorizing, particle effects, etc.? And let the cutting, trimming, and concatenating stuff remain in General Editing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    The name of this site is Videohelp.com. I was given my first computer by my brother, when he upgraded. I was already about 62. My background was playing in blues and reggae bands and folk clubs for about 40 odd years and getting almost brain dead.
    I started to get an interest in transferring home and gig VHS videos to DVD and was reading all the posts on this new posts forum to learn about it for a few years, before I felt confident enough to become a member. The input of knowledgeable people on even basic matters, such as Lord Smurf, manono, redwudz, jagabo, and the wonderfully terse, hech 54, has been invaluable.
    If you were to start to have a separate, elite, advanced section, I think that would put people off even trying to learn and take part.

The elderly HarpMaster
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But video production has advanced way beyond our wildest dreams. Yet most of the topics are about how to cut and join without re-encoding, and how to remove a watermark.
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Apr 2016 at 08:59.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think an Advanced Video category would be a great addition along with current categories. There are often posts asking How do I do such and such that would qualify as advanced techniques.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not in the advanced 'class' , i would probably check in and read some of it
    BUT
    it seems the things mentioned are more like 'Special Effects" and not editing
    not there isn't a cross over gray area

but as i recall, when you edit a film, you cut it, you take things out, you put frames in, you change the sound track
    its all about creating the pace of the movie

compositing, coloring, other things, thats different
    in the PRE-digital days, that would be Film Lab processing, NOT the editors job

i think if such a section was added to these forums, "Special Effects etc.." would be a more descriptive and correct heading
    and not a put off to the newbie wanting to ask editing questions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothin' Elite about "Advanced Video Editing', "Special Effects" ext. Video editing, like Photo editing is an artistic expression and nothing more. I like the idea of advanced video editing/Special effects forum. I don't post much these days because most topics are so boring.

Advanced editing is not exclusive. You can do pretty much do anything with FREE s/w. The only investment you need to make is the acquisition of knowledge to execute an idea into action.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    ... I don't post much these days because most topics are so boring...
    Same Here! And I want to add that I've learned a lot from this forum. Especially from Jagabo, PDR, Manono, and all the other OG video makers. No matter the software, if you speak the truth I will definitely listen and learn.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The really advanced image processing would involve hand-drawn art, programming and maths...
    not for the faint of heart and probably not for videohelp as it gears towards the general layman (in contrast to doom9)

but I think it is perfectly fine for the admin to open up a section call "doomX" here and see how people respond to that :P
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote