VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have purchased a Neewer F100 Field Monitor which has HDMI input. My camcorder is the Sony DCR-TRV480E which has 3 connector ports as follows :-
    AV Minijack - DV Input/Output(Firewire) - USB MiniB jack. Having read varoius options for connections to Camcorders & DSLR cammeras, I wonder if anyone is able to offer me advice on which connection would be the best for display on the external monitor with my situation. I realise that I will need to use an adaptor to HDMI whichever option is used. I believe the options would be the AV and USB. Any advice, thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You will find in the marketplace that the least expensive option - if you MUST stick to your existing components (not my recommendation) - is to find a composite-to-hdmi adapter/converter (or better, svideo-to-hdmi if your output pigtail supports it). Careful - there is a huge range of variation in quality from crap to pretty decent, so research & try before you buy.
    Dv-to-Hdmi is a rarity. The Usb port isn't for live video out, so is a no go.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scott. Thanks for your response to my request. When you ask if I must stick to existing components, can I assume you mean the combination of Camcorder & Field Monitor?
    On the basis of advice from Feelworld, as you probably know is another field monitor manufacturer, and which have the same HDMI input on their units, advising that a USB to HDMI adaptor would work ok. Having just bought the Neewer Field monitor I am not in a position to purchase a camcorder with HDMI output. My Sony camcorder is a Digita8 model which produces good enough results. As I am awaiting delivery of a mini USB to HDMI adaptor, I have not yet had the opportunity to try this, but during this waiting period I wondered if perhaps the AV connection would be a better option. Hence my request for advice.
    With regard to your reference to DV to HDMI, I hadn't considered this option but will search for information.
    When transfering 8mm analogue taped video to computer, I use the DV input/output Firewire port, which converts to Digital. I haven't yet used the USB port but having checked my camcorder manual, it states the USB is to Play/Edit tapes. So I will try this to see what results I get.

Regards and thanks
    David
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What they didn't tell you, and should have, is that regardless of the fact that usb has heretofore only been used with video TO TRANSFER FILES, not to livestream video, Usb has also until recently had neither the bandwidth nor the protocol to accommodate hdmi. Only with usb 3.0 and above has usb had the bandwith, and only with usb-c/3.2 and above has usb had the protocol. it is called "alternate hdmi mode". Otherwise you would need an active converter box.
    Unless I am very much mistaken (e.g. something had changed very recently), NO digital8 cameras have usb 3.0, much less usb-c. Certainly not your cam, which was made in 2005 - well before usb-c and even before usb 3.0.

Your cam's manual on p82 talks about the ability to view what's on your viewfinder also out through the usb connection. But I can guarantee you what it will provide will be reduced resolution or highly FURTHER compressed, or both. And possibly it might only work with Sony's provided software.
    Hope you can return that adapter for credit...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Neewer monitor seems to have an AV Input, I saw a review video on youtube and they seem to include a cable with female RCA connectors for video (yellow) and audio (red and white), do you still have the AV cable from your camcorder? you should be able to connect both devices that way. Of course you won´t get the full benefits of HDMI or HD resolution, but then again your camcorder is in fact Standard res.
    Greetings
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Scott and julitong for your posts.

Scott
    Thank you for the very detailed information you provided and for which I am very grateful. Your knowledge on the subject is far greater than mine but I am now further educated by the details you provided (once I've taken it all in). You've probably seen the post from julitomg, my reponse following this, my thanks to you, for your advice and assistance.

julitong
    Hi. Thanks for your suggestion. I do have the necessary cables you mention and I will be trying this out today.
    I guess I was being a bit optimistic in thinking that I could achieve a better display, not realising at the time I purchased the Neewer monitor, the limitations of my Digital8 camcorder, as Scott quite tightly pointed out.
    The old proverb 'you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, comes to mind.

Thank you both for your time in assisting with my enquiry which I hope to resolve one way or another.

Regards and thanks,
    David
    Quote Quote