VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!
    I'd like to buy a laser disc player which can read US imports (NTSC zone 1 I guess) and also japanese ones.
    Is the latest Pioneer DVL 919 specific for this?
    I'm looking for a japanese one at basis but not sure if it can also read US import zone 1 NTSC discs.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by erzane; 6th Aug 2020 at 17:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are no Regions or Zones for LD's. They're either NTSC or PAL and will playback on any appropriate player.

The exception are MUSE HD LDs that require a special MUSE player HLD-X0 and HLD-X9 that were only released in Japan and while considered the best LD players are extremely expensive.

The DVL-919 is considered a good LD player, but like all electronics 20+ years old, there may be mechanical issues and dried out capacitors, so buy from a highly rated seller and have a good return window if it doesn't work correctly.

If you want more info, I suggest you go to forums at lddb.com as there's only a handful of members here who discuss LD here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thinking about it, curious as to why do you want a LD player? The vast majority of LDs, with the notable exception of the original Star Wars Trilogy have been released of DVD or Blu-Ray somewhere in the world. A week or so ago, I posted how a movie that I've only had on VCD (I'm not even sure it was released on LD) was recently released on Blu-Ray and DVD. Waiting for it to arrive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    LDs don't have zones. They do have systems, so either read NTSC or PAL (don't think there was ever a player that did both). US and Japan are both NTSC.

(Sorry so late, post got delayed)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No dual system player and AFAIK, no SECAM player either. LD wasn't a big seller in Europe or the U.S. for that matter. It was very popular in Japan, though I think with the exception of some Karaoke players and the MUSE players, everything came to the U.S. via Pioneer or high end manufacturers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can lay your hands on the european model DVL-919E I think you're good to go:

https://hometheaterreview.com/pioneer-dvl-919e-laserdisc-and-dvd-player-reviewed/

quote "...this player is intended for the European market, hence its dual-standard PAL+NTSC laser disc capability and Region Two DVD..." \quote
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks to all for your infos!
    Can the DVL-919 do CLV & CAV? Also what about the subtitles? I read about the Pioneer ones do not need any adapters...

>Lingyi: SW theatrical would be enough eason to buy an LD to my opinion. But there are more productions never released on DVD or BR. For exemple, the DBZ OAVs does effectively have a japanese DVD (maybe BR) releases but their cover arent illustrated by Toriyama (only a sample of the genuine illustration is printed on the back of the cover). Also, the LD's does have original year manufatures (same year that the OAV releases). So, they are original goods. More, there are some theatrical releases (for example THX 1138 I guess...) which are only released on LDs. They are more beautiful goods for japanese OAV lovers.
    Btw, you said that the DVL-919 is +20yo but after wiki it was manufactured on 2009...

>Lennio: I'd prefere a japanese one since to me its important to have an anthentic product, I don't neither like european versions of DVD/BR for examples, same for books, etc...
    Last edited by erzane; 7th Aug 2020 at 11:19.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ennio

Thank you for the correction. Never heard about the DVL-919E. Guess it was a last attempt by Pioneer to keep the market alive.

Getting a Japanese player may be a bit easier and cheaper as they seem to be a bit more common on eBay.

@erzane

Yes, 2009 was the last date of manufacture of the DVL-919. Misread and misremembered the date since I had my LD players in the early '90's.

And yes, all players are capable of CLV and CAV playback, as well as subs which are hardsubbed because LD is an analog format.

Because LD is analog, you may want to consider getting a second player, different model (e.g. The Elite series) as some do better than others with certain discs. Again, best ask at the lddb.com forum. avsforum.com also has/had a LD forum.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    @ennio

best ask at the lddb.com forum. avsforum.com also has/had a LD forum.
    Ok, I will. Thanks!
    Quote Quote