VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Apparently QuickTime Player 7 no longer functions from Catalina onwards. I occasionally use QuickTime 7 Player Pro for direct uncompressed cuts to videos (i.e. I can cut a part of a video and re-save it immediately in the original uncompressed format), a feature available in neither iMovie nor Final Cut Pro, nor newer versions of QuickTime. Is there a 64-bit alternative to QT7 that offers this?

I'm seeking recommendations for specific alternative apps that have this feature, Mac or Windows. I've searched the app store and submitted feedback to Apple. I've witheld updating my Macbook until this issue is resolved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What codec and/or container formats are you trying to work with here?
    What do you specifically mean by "uncompressed" (truly uncompressed/no codec? lossless codecs? "virtually lossless" codecs - e.g. prores... or a lossless workflow - e.g. lossless copy even of lossy codec?)

Yes, QT7 is kaput.

I wouldn't hold your breath, it isn't going to get resolved - Apple did that on purpose.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    What codec and/or container formats are you trying to work with here?
    What do you specifically mean by "uncompressed" (truly uncompressed/no codec? lossless codecs? "virtually lossless" codecs - e.g. prores... or a lossless workflow - e.g. lossless copy even of lossy codec?)

Yes, QT7 is kaput.

I wouldn't hold your breath, it isn't going to get resolved - Apple did that on purpose.

Scott
    I mean that the action of trimming the video and re-saving it does not cause the edited video to be compressed or converted on saving. This was achieved, for example, on digitally converted camcorder videos which I'd stored months ago so I don't remember what the exact codec was. I was able to trim a few seconds here or there, and re-save it, with the save being instantaneous as nothing was changed besides the direct cuts - no reformatting of remaining video, etc.

When I say I'm not going to update Macbook until it's resolved, I don't mean Apple has to provide a fix, I just mean I'll need to find an app that has this capability, be it a first or third-party Mac or Windows app, so I no longer need to keep macOS on an older version simply to use QuickTime 7 when it's needed. Thanks for any recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are mainly concerned with trim support for these camera-created clips, here's what I would do:

Get a copy of MediaInfo for your platform (Mac, I assume). Install it (it's good to have around anyway). Load a good example of one of those camera clips into it, and export the readout in txt mode. Upload that here, so that we can see all the details of the clip (container, V codec, A codec, etc).

My hope is that what you've got might be a more generic/universal type of format that can be serviced by one of many workable apps.
    Example: if you have a AVC-in-MP4, that's quite common. So what's available to work with it doesn't have to rely on AVFoundation (the media architecture that Apple now uses).
    If, OTOH, you have a ProRes-in-MOV, you MIGHT be able to use some apps that can rely on ffmpeg, or you might be able to use Adobe Premiere or similar NLE apps that have their own independent In/Out implementations, and pass the file through. But otherwise, you're locked into Apple's Media architecture - whether it's QTkit w/ QT7 or AVFoundation w/ QTX (and the family of other apps built on it).

Scott
    Quote Quote