VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there

Is there any way to do this in Subtitle Workshop? It's the UK broadcast format where the last two numbers refer to frames, but the other numbers refer to times. That means that neither the time or the frame options work, and although there is an option to change the number of digits at the end, it's still time, not frames, so is completely wrong.

I've spent a very frustrating couple of days trying to find any programme that will let me do this. Every single programme I've found is US format with three digits at the end. Surely there must be something out there I can use?

It's possible the paid-for programmes might have this option, but they cost (literally) thousands and aren't even available for download (seriously - Wincaps and Swift are the main ones and you can't download them anywhere at all, legally or not).

This is urgent and I've ended up crying at my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also happy to use any other software, paid or unpaid, as long as I can download it. So far, apart from Software Workshop, I've tried Software Creator, Aegis and DVD-Lab Pro2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UK broadcast format = Proprietary format = Nope

On the other hand you can create such subtitle's via avisynth script however this will only work with software players ... hardware players in general aren't programed to understand the format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your reply. I'll have a look at the Avisnyth software.

I'm not sure what you mean by hardware players.

Why is :00 proprietary but ,000 isn't?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consumer software or freeware only supports the subtitle formats that members of the general public normally work with when creating DVDs and various media container files for personal use.

I think the main difficulty is that UK broadcast subtitles are not one of those formats. Since they are a broadcast-only format, only a relatively small number of professionals would normally want to work with them, so only expensive professional tools have been made that specifically support them. Plus, only some parts of the world can use them.

The situation is similar for N. American closed captions. They are both a broadcast and distribution subtitling format, but even if they did find their way into VHS tapes and DVDs, there are few consumer/free software applications that can work with them. One reason for this is that only TVs (and a few DVD recorders/players) made for one region, N. America, can display them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Oct 2010 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any chance that, instead of using the subtitle mechanism, that you could permanently burn the time code. I've done that with vdub. And I think it was the format that you want.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Afraid not - I need this as a separate subtitle file with all the info about colours and where the subtitle is placed, etc.

Never mind. Thanks for the responses, guys.
    Quote Quote