VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Would appreciate knowing what you guys think of tenlab standards converters, against using the ?ace video? (Sorry cannot find the reference to the correct company) standards converter from the UK.
    & what do you think of this !!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3319&item=3873466514&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I am not buying it, just amazed at the price.

and if you could, look at these selection on Ebay:-
    http://search.ebay.ca/pal-to-ntsc-converter_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

The opinions of lordsmurf etc on this forum are invaluable.

My plan would be to use a jvc 9911u s-vhs vcr straight to a dvd recorder if quality good enough, or introduce my advc300 if not.

Question:, is the tbc and the signal enhancer in the advc300 as good as a datavideo and sign video proc amp and signal enhancer.

Thank you very much everyone, the holy grail awaits.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't have any experience with hardware standards converters, but you can be certain they will vary in effectiveness. That Snell & Willcox unit looks great, but their gear is strictly high end broadcast stuff, and very expensive. You might take a chance on one or two of those mid-priced units on eBay and see how well they work. If the results aren't that great, you could probably get back nearly what you paid for them by re-selling.

The ADVC 300 has a line TBC, not a full frame type.

My DVD player handles PAL DVD's (that are not region encoded... I back them up with DVDShrink first) with no problems. It does a great job, actually. Some DVD players are available completely region and copy protection free, and will also convert PAL DVD's to NTSC on playback. I assume in Europe the reverse is true, that NTSC DVD's can be played back on some PAL DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much for your input.
    This is what I am considering, a datavideo tbc1000/elite bvp4+/
    Tenlab tr1 svhs.

But I see the elite has a TBC so do I need the datavideo?, and could the tenlab be used as a passthrough, btw it also has a tbc, but how good? and if that lot doesn't satisfy a sign video signal enhancer and proc amp.

Thanks for all your replies, thanking you guys ahead of time!
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Elite Video BVP-4+ is only a proc amp. No TBC.

Datavideo TBC-1000 is only a time base corrector/frame synchronizer. No other features or adjustments.

The SignVideo Image Enhancer and Proc Amp only do those functions. No TBC.

I'm not familiar with the tenlab unit.

There are some professional S-VHS machines that have a full frame TBC built in, but they can be very expensive (Panasonic AG-7750, JVC BR-S822DX, etc.) I have a JVC SR-W5U W-VHS high definition VCR that has a full frame TBC built in, but these units are pretty rare and also expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Snell & Willcox comes highly regarded and and been suggested to me on many occasions. Sadly, that's so far out of my budget, ... yeah. If you have $10K+ to spend, that's actually a steal, price-wise.

If I remember correctly, ACE is about $300 and does a pretty decent job.

Be wary of eBay. Most of those "converters" are just crap that gives off quasi signals. Some of them are also NOT set for USA NTSC settings.

I'm actually intrigued by this one:
    http://a-neutronics.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid=e0d42df41dad90dbeb8d381f1badc9ab
    However, I don't like the no-refund policy. I'm always leary of that. (Not to mention their ignorance of credit cards policies, where "no refund" is not a vocabulary word.) I've asked the store if I can arrange an on-site pick-up and test since it is within easy driving range.

Here's the specs on it from the maker:
    http://www.shinybow.com.tw/products/pdf/10581899170.pdf
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. how about the tenlab lordsmurf, not many people seem to mention those on this forum.

Thanks for all your help
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea on tenlab.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What hardware, if any, do you use Lordsmurf for bradcast standards conversion, (Ntsc to pal).

Thanks
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As an update...

Avoid Tenlab TBCs.
    I can't even tell that it has a TBC, completely worthless devices.
    Quote Quote