VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    That's pretty crazy stiltman. Last I remember XP was still fairly popular in China, and they are apparently being hit pretty hard by these attacks at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WannaCry is apparently only hitting Win7, and then only if the system is not patched.

All of these replies about XP getting infected by WannaCry are false.

Reference here: https://www.askwoody.com/
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, for the initial WannaCry variants and their SMB attacks, anyways. With newer variants or other attack vectors (like classic e-mail attachment) Windows XP (and Windows 10) machines might have also been affected by WannaCry. There's even a WannaCry decryptor tool specifically for Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wow, according to the Kaspersky stats even Windows 10 got hit more often than XP but 98% is Windows 7, then a bit of Server 2008.

[Attachment 41668 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Wow, according to the Kaspersky stats even Windows 10 got hit more often than XP but 98% is Windows 7, then a bit of Server 2008.
    I read the article from "The Verge" which included that graphic. The article noted that a Windows 7 patch to block this attack was released months before the attack occurred. My guess is that the infected Windows 7 computers did not have Windows Update configured to update automatically for whatever reason.

Windows 10 received a patch before the attack too, and those paying for Windows XP extended support would also have received a patch before the attack.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My guess is that the infected Windows 7 computers did not have Windows Update configured to update automatically for whatever reason.
    Either that or it got broken. Happens often on Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My guess is that the infected Windows 7 computers did not have Windows Update configured to update automatically for whatever reason.
    Either that or it got broken. Happens often on Windows 7.
    True. ...and in that case, some might not even realize Windows Update wasn't automatically patching their system.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Windows 7 Update has long suffered from a bug which slows it to an almighty crawl while hogging the CPU, resulting in update times measured in tens of hours. Many users turned it off because they could not endure its immensely poor performance. I was one of those users. Recently, I reinstalled my OS and came across a couple of patches which, if installed at very first, fix the Update problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Windows 7 Update has long suffered from a bug which slows it to an almighty crawl while hogging the CPU, resulting in update times measured in tens of hours. Many users turned it off because they could not endure its immensely poor performance. I was one of those users. Recently, I reinstalled my OS and came across a couple of patches which, if installed at very first, fix the Update problem.
    Yes, I had to disable updates on a Vista machine for the same reason.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have been turning off Windows Update for decades. I counsel to run updates periodically, and when a needed one is announced, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, at a time of the user's choosing so potential loss of function of the PC would be least damaging. The downtime is just too excessive.

Printer update software is deleted. I have had these disable a working printer, and do not recall ever getting any beneficial change.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    There is a free tool that supposedly works for protecting and cleaning
    Ransomware attacks - http://www.myce.com/news/security-researchers-release-free-tool-ransomfree-protect-ransomware-81100/
    This program shuts itself down everyday and forces me to restart my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have eight Win7 x64 computers that I update monthly.

Because Windows Update can be very slow and the installation flaky, I've started to download the monthly updates with the KB numbers from the Windows (and Office if necessary) update catalogue. I then install them manually on each machine.

It's not elegant, but the manual installation is straightforward and has worked every time. The only "trick" is that you have to use the "Services" interface to kill Windows Update for each file you install, except the ones with the .cab extension. These you just open with WinZip or 7zip and run the .msp file.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote