VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. What would you recommend as one of the best audio editing software? Let me define what "best" would mean for me and what I am looking for...

I have a couple of dozen AVI files that I am joing together in Virtual Dub (it was recommended to me). From there I am extracting the full .WAV file.

I then need to work with this .WAV file and interleave another .wav file (background music). I will, however, need to edit the background music for proper fades and looping etc before combining the speech and music wav files.

From there, I would like to compress to AC3 (I think... I'm new to DVD authoring).

This way, I would have a full length .AVI for a video stream and now the combined full .WAV which was converted to AC3 for the audio stream.

I then want to put these into TMPGenc to convert the video and then into TMPGenc DVD Author as a separate MPEG-2 video stream and AC3 audio stream (does this still make sense... again, I'm new to all this).

So with that said, I guess "best audo editing software" to me is something that can achieve all or most of the audio work I listed above while also ensuring I don't lose audio quality.

Any recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony vegas or acid, or if two channel only.. soundforge

or Adobe Audition
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or even sony movie studio (the stripped down version of vegas )
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wavelab.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wavelab does not compress to ac3 and also - it is very expensive
    Quote Quote  
  6. Another vote for Adobe Audition here!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Adobe Audition for sure. But I didn't know it encoded to ac3. FWIW, I am using Cool Edit Pro, so maybe Adobe added the ac3 capability after they bought it.

FWIW, if you are on the cheap, you can do it with a clever AviSynth script. Or you could do it with Goldwave. Neither is easier than multitrack editing like Audition does.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Love Vegas, but I also love Goldwave...and a whole lot cheaper than Vegas.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SoundForge combined with Adobe Premiere
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Vegas will do it. Audition is great, but I don't think it includes an AC3 encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. There's a freeware utility called Besweet that converts .wav to .ac3 format, so that should allow you to pick the audio editing software without having to look for the ac3 conversion feature.

Check the Tools section on the left for Besweet info.

Good luck.

W
    Quote Quote  
  12. Cubase and Sound Forge.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Cool Edit Pro or GoldWave (which is free) to compress the audio, Adobe Premiere or VEGAS Video or Ulead Media Studio Pro to interleave and overlay the audio tracks with the video. BeSweet with the AC3 Machine GUI does a fine job of encoding to ac3, and CDex will also encode to ac3.

Once you've got your audio file, in Adobe Premier choose EXPORT then AUDIO and you'll get the entire audio for the video as a WAV file. Run BeSweet or CDex on that to get an ac3 file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Goldwave is not free.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cubase is not per say an audio editor .. , for that mater nether is soundforge cooledit or goldwave .... those are audio proccesors ..

an editor can can take multiple tracks locked to timecode .. such as vegas, pro tools and other DAW softwares ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote