The Problem: Got a 3.8 inch 1st gen Creative PMC - which has been great fun. The screen is 4:3. Some movies I capture (in mpeg or vob) are in 16:9 and very 'narrow' (not good with these terms - I believe this is letterbox and narrow) and when played on the player they are not as satisfying as I want visually.

For the player the end format can only be wmv and 320 x 240. I am not wanting a full screen image. Too much image is lost that way. I would like to resize to something intermediate. That makes use of say... 75% of the viewable screen - rather than only 50% that some letterbox leaves you with.

The issue: has been that the end result is slightly blurry. I have TMPGenc to convert with currently and it does accept any custom resize I enter. What method will best eliminate (totally if possible) the bluriness? (Please share detail settings if possible)

Keep in mind: My viewing screen is only 3.8 inches. (If it had been full/regular size then I would fully understand the sharpness issue.) Please refrain from the issue of 'I'm not seeing all the movie has to offer'. I agree. But on the small player this compromise is acceptable to me to get 75% of the movie filling the screen.

If there is a better program to use I'm willing.

EDIT: Let me add that the source material is either usually full 720 x 480 or ... 853 x ?? (don't remember -sorry)

Thanks in advance.