VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by hek View Post
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Originally Posted by hek View Post
    It installs the newest premium version
    Did you try Youtube-DLG ?
    Unfortunately it doesnt show thumbnails. No speed limit, cant add multiple links at the same time etc. Its really not even close to Freemake.
    You can add multiple links and can set speed limit in Option->Extra by add -r, --limit-rate RATE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get the exact same YouTube login dialog box when I try to paste a YouTube URL in to Freemake. When I enter in my login username and pass, I get an error message, saying that it can't download due to error. I suspect that Freemake is trying to get all its users to download the newest version, which is loaded with spyware and adware. I checked out that new download briefly, until I saw how corrupt it was. I think it's a ploy by them, but it's backfiring. I won't download that new version. I'll wait a few days and if I still get that YouTube login box, I'm uninstalling Freemake. Backfire!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hypnotised View Post
    I get the exact same YouTube login dialog box when I try to paste a YouTube URL in to Freemake. When I enter in my login username and pass, I get an error message, saying that it can't download due to error. I suspect that Freemake is trying to get all its users to download the newest version, which is loaded with spyware and adware. I checked out that new download briefly, until I saw how corrupt it was. I think it's a ploy by them, but it's backfiring. I won't download that new version. I'll wait a few days and if I still get that YouTube login box, I'm uninstalling Freemake. Backfire!
    Interesting theory. I didn't get any adware nor the usual prompt under custom install. Spyware may be another matter.
    Do you think they could be so evil? They put out a lot of free utilities that work for most purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoeS99 View Post
    Interesting theory. I didn't get any adware nor the usual prompt under custom install. Spyware may be another matter.
    Do you think they could be so evil? They put out a lot of free utilities that work for most purposes.
    It's true that under Custom Installation you can avoid the adware, spyware, browser extensions, toolbar, etc..., however they're still culpable if they allow that stuff in the 'install' in the first place. So they're not innocent and evil may be too strong a word, but they're not ethical.
    Second, I'm revising my answer slightly. The newer 'free' versions all have limitations on download length (3:00), download and converting to audio, etc... in order to get you to upgrade to the PAID version. It's a ploy to lure you in, and then get you to spend money by putting restrictions on features that were once all free. Those days are gone, my friend. Freemake is going to have to change their name and remove the word 'Free', cuz' it ain't no more. That's the bottom line. That phony YouTube login is another ploy to get you to upgrade to the paid version. I use Version 4.1.9 of Freemake. This is the old, totally free version they don't want you using any more.
    However, the good news is that I found a great actual FREE video download software that allows many of the features for free, that Freemake USED TO have. They do have a paid version, but you won't need it because their free version does almost everything Freemake used to do. It's called 4K Video Downloader. The down side is that you can't convert to to audio for some reason. I download the video I want to my hard drive using 4K, then go back in to Freemake and upload that same video from my hard drive, and convert it to audio. It's a wraparound shortcut on the new restrictions being put in place to make it more difficult to download videos and audio from YT, without paying for a Full version. That may not be the answer you want, but I did provide you with a solution that's still free.
    Here's the 4K download link:

https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM

It's true that under Custom Installation you can avoid the adware, spyware, browser extensions, toolbar, etc..., however they're still culpable if they allow that stuff in the 'install' in the first place. So they're not innocent and evil may be too strong a word, but they're not ethical.
    Second, I'm revising my answer slightly. The newer 'free' versions all have limitations on download length (3:00), download and converting to audio, etc... in order to get you to upgrade to the PAID version. It's a ploy to lure you in, and then get you to spend money by putting restrictions on features that were once all free. Those days are gone, my friend. Freemake is going to have to change their name and remove the word 'Free', cuz' it ain't no more. That's the bottom line. That phony YouTube login is another ploy to get you to upgrade to the paid version. I use Version 4.1.9 of Freemake. This is the old, totally free version they don't want you using any more.
    However, the good news is that I found a great actual FREE video download software that allows many of the features for free, that Freemake USED TO have. They do have a paid version, but you won't need it because their free version does almost everything Freemake used to do. It's called 4K Video Downloader. The down side is that you can't convert to to audio for some reason. I download the video I want to my hard drive using 4K, then go back in to Freemake and upload that same video from my hard drive, and convert it to audio. It's a wraparound shortcut on the new restrictions being put in place to make it more difficult to download videos and audio from YT, without paying for a Full version. That may not be the answer you want, but I did provide you with a solution that's still free.

Good luck.
    I'l try the 4l download tomorrow. My Freemake seems to be working (sort of) after I reinstalled the old version, but I don't trust it to continue. That's downright unethical if they disabled the old versions in order to get $ for the same program that was free.
    Did anyone add a comment to the Freemake VD page here?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'l try the 4l download tomorrow. My Freemake seems to be working (sort of) after I reinstalled the old version, but I don't trust it to continue. That's downright unethical if they disabled the old versions in order to get $ for the same program that was free.
    Did anyone add a comment to the Freemake VD page here?[/QUOTE]

What old version were you using?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hypnotised View Post
    Did anyone add a comment to the Freemake VD page here?
    What old version were you using?[/QUOTE]

I tried a lot of old versions and none of them are working for me. Only the new version is working and thats premium. I dont know how his old freemake is working.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I originally had Ver 3.8.0.2 which stopped working on YouTube. I still had the "Setup" file and re-installed the program. Of course, the installation came from the Freemake website, so they controlled what happened. It now says Ver 3.8.0.47 and seems to work, except it won't save the speed and connections options if I modify them. They always default to 4 MBps and unlimited simultaneous downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I originally had Ver 3.8.0.2 which stopped working on YouTube. I still had the "Setup" file and re-installed the program. Of course, the installation came from the Freemake website, so they controlled what happened. It now says Ver 3.8.0.47 and seems to work, except it won't save the speed and connections options if I modify them. They always default to 4 MBps and unlimited simultaneous downloads.
    Alright. I tried your old version (3.8.0.47), and it still told me I had to 'upgrade to the Premium version' in order to download a video over 3 minutes. **** that. I'm sticking with my new method, which works well. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [
    Alright. I tried your old version (3.8.0.47), and it still told me I had to 'upgrade to the Premium version' in order to download a video over 3 minutes. **** that. I'm sticking with my new method, which works well. Thanks.
    These things work in mysterious ways.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These things work in mysterious ways.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Good luck.
    Good points & interesting workaround –*but IMHO paying developers a couple of bucks for their effort would be the right decision here. After all, Freemake, as a company, cannot survive if it doesn't charge for their products.
    All free applications, as you pointed out, include adware, malware in them. So isn't it more reasonable & maybe even cheaper for you –*to actually purchase a good quality software that gets the job done once and for all? In this case, you wouldn't need to download a video beforehand and only then convert it to mp3 on your own.
    This is a gray area – many YouTube downloaders are simply dangerous to install. Personally, I would never risk installing them on my computer –*even if they free of charge. Who knows maybe I'll have to pay for my computer's repairment works afterwards.
    Currently I'm using Softorino's YouTube Converter (https://sofotrino.com/youtube-converter-2) –*which is a paid app. And it has no adware. I'm also not worried about my computer's safety and I can download YouTube videos or audio directly to my computer or even iPhone or iPod without iTunes. So in the end it is a win-win. You help a developer to make some $$, and in the result you get a quality software that works like a charm.
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good points & interesting workaround –*but IMHO paying developers a couple of bucks for their effort would be the right decision here. After all, Freemake, as a company, cannot survive if it doesn't charge for their products.
    All free applications, as you pointed out, include adware, malware in them. So isn't it more reasonable & maybe even cheaper for you –*to actually purchase a good quality software that gets the job done once and for all? In this case, you wouldn't need to download a video beforehand and only then convert it to mp3 on your own.
    This is a gray area – many YouTube downloaders are simply dangerous to install. Personally, I would never risk installing them on my computer –*even if they free of charge. Who knows maybe I'll have to pay for my computer's repairment works afterwards.
    Currently I'm using Softorino's YouTube Converter (https://sofotrino.com/youtube-converter-2) –*which is a paid app. And it has no adware. I'm also not worried about my computer's safety and I can download YouTube videos or audio directly to my computer or even iPhone or iPod without iTunes. So in the end it is a win-win. You help a developer to make some $$, and in the result you get a quality software that works like a charm.[/QUOTE]

Also a good point. I have no objection to paying out a donation for a good software that works well, that some developer is offering for free, or now wants to charge for, IF I had the money. It's a financial reason. When I do have the extra dough, I will gladly pay some developer for their hard work, if it's a useful software.
    The best I've found is 'Wondershare All My Tube' https://www.wondershare.com/pro/allmytube-video-downloader.html. I'll be shelling out for its 'lifetime' membership when I have it. That software picks up videos from nearly every site on the Web that has videos, including NBC.com. In the meantime, I'm using my workaround.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Wondershare may also have adware/malware. Just do a search on Wondershare adware and you will get many hits, lots of problems with Macs getting infected.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had purchased VSO Video Downloader several years ago. It had free updates for a year, then something changed with the way YouTube handled their videos and it stopped working. I think I bought the updated version again and a similar thing happened. After that, I searched for free solutions since the idea of a "subscription" didn't appeal to me. I think "Freemake" has a button where you can contribute via PayPal, but after they had disabled their older version, I don't think I'll participate. It's working now, but I wonder if it will stop one day, so I have a few alternatives.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now when I start Freemake Video Downloader, a popup box says "Use Freemake New Version to avoid the software malfunction. The update is ready to install" Yeah, right.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I had the same issue described by the OP, but this morning when I turned on my PC a pop up asked to install the latest upgrade of the software. I downloaded and installed it (ver 3.8.1) and made a quick test (ready to uninstall it for good if the problem persisted), to my surprise it´s working all right just as before, no youtube registration required, no limit on the duration of the download. It keeps asking you yo upgrade to paid version when exit tho.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello joeS99,
    I am having the exact same problems using Freemake video Downloader on youtube. I put my email and password into the label which pops up but after that nothing happens - it won't let me log in to make the download! Do you think, if I was to go for the latest Freemake video Downloader update, it would work nicely again? Can you also tell me if Freemake have made any new restrictions such as unwelcome logos at the start and finish of the video, like they have with Freemake video Converter. One has to buy the gold pack key to be rid of those restrictions!

You mentioned you also use Download Video Helper. I have this also but after downloading, I have no idea where to find the finished file / video! Video Helper forum say it goes to <homedir>/dwhelper whatever that means(?) Can you please tell me where and how to hone in and locate my missing videos? They are not listed in my DOWNLOADS listing, nor can I find any fresh folder or video on my C or D hard drives. The videos did download but where exactly can I find them, please?
    Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vinckles View Post
    Hello joeS99,
    I am having the exact same problems using Freemake video Downloader on youtube. I put my email and password into the label which pops up but after that nothing happens - it won't let me log in to make the download! Do you think, if I was to go for the latest Freemake video Downloader update, it would work nicely again? Can you also tell me if Freemake have made any new restrictions such as unwelcome logos at the start and finish of the video, like they have with Freemake video Converter. One has to buy the gold pack key to be rid of those restrictions!

You mentioned you also use Download Video Helper. I have this also but after downloading, I have no idea where to find the finished file / video! Video Helper forum say it goes to <homedir>/dwhelper whatever that means(?) Can you please tell me where and how to hone in and locate my missing videos? They are not listed in my DOWNLOADS listing, nor can I find any fresh folder or video on my C or D hard drives. The videos did download but where exactly can I find them, please?
    Regards.
    I do not know the answers to your questions about updating to the new version. The post previous to yours (#47) claims that it works. I had re-installed an old version - I saved the original setup file - and it works, except for remembering the download settings. I would say try the update, you have nothing to lose if the present version doesn't work.

For Video Download Helper, I don't remember how to configure where the files are saved. To find them, do a search for a filename that you know you saved. OK, I looked, click the Video DL Helper icon in the toolbar, then click the Settings "Gear" to open a configuration page. Storage directory should be at the top.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello joeS99.
    Thank you for writing: Will you please confirm for me; in order to find the video made using Video Download Helper, I must
    1 Click the Video Download Helper logo at the top of my toolbar, then
    2 Click the "gear", or should that be "cog" settings and
    3 The storage folder containing my illusive video should be seen at the top(?) Is it just labelled "Storage Folder"? Presumably, when I click it the missing video file will be in view(?) Is this correct?

If the above is not correct, would you please give me step by step instructions how I can get to the 'lost' video?
    Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds about right. The path for downloaded files should show on the right side, with an option to change it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When Freemake Video Downloader stops working on Youtube, would it be a good idea to go back to an earlier version of the downloader, from say, five years ago? Would it be likely to work on Youtube today? I get the impression that Youtube makes technical changes from time to time in order to thwart Freemake Video Downloader but having made several changes as the years go by, might a very old version of the software be capable of downloading Youtube or are they completely 'trashed'?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why bother with this spyware toolbar ridden product range which cannot even deinterlace as yet using its video converter? Better to use Bigasoft Downloader which will download from YouTube or any inputted link and convert to h264 on the fly as you download.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for writing. Unfortunatly, the Bigasoft Downloader is not free to own, whereas the old versions of Freemake Video Downloader are. That is why I am interested in them and I would appreciate any answers to my original question, please. Will those old versions from four or five years ago still download Youtube today?
    Last edited by vinckles; 6th Sep 2018 at 11:46. Reason: spelling mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you just try it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Video download helper. It is very easy. Just changes you made in settings/behaviour (I think this is most important part of settings) you have to save changes in bottom right. Probably then restart browser to changes is aplied. Not sure. But it is very easy to use and can download from almost every site. Also able download some not trivial streams.
    If is it spyware, please tell me more about it and about sources that prove this.
    If you don't use companion aplication, it saves the file to some folder as Video or documents or Downloads. Same as browser default download directory. If you don't find it there check settings/behaviour Default download directory.
    You can set maximum concurent download for server or max concurent download for all servers from which you downloads.

Edit: Using extension for FF Also I don't use any conversion, it is not free I think and why? Better if converting is needed is doing it in any free standalone application.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 6th Sep 2018 at 12:20. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all who replied. I do use Firefox Add-on Download Video Helper. My only annoyance is that it insists on depositing the video into a special folder of it's own choosing,whereas I prefer to navigate the video to a folder of my own choosing. I have not experimented enough yet, but maybe someone can tell me: If I Right Click the video title and select 'Save Link As' will this let me navigate to my own folder? I do hope it works like that! If this idea is wrong, can anyone say how else to do it? Hopefully it is easy. Step by step explanation would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you download with browser, it is where your browser is sets to download things (I believe) When you downloaded with compagnion you can choose where to download Settings/behaviour default download folder. But I don't want to push you to use compagnion because it has to be downloaded separatelly as FF quantum doesn't allow this to be in addons. It is FF policy now, that limited functionality of great addons. On other hand addons should be more reliable.

You can also uncheck the checked bellow default download folder and all should go to this directory. So tested with browser download and it goes where I have downloading content should go. Downloaded with FF and it is default download folder in windows.
    Alo avoid downloading ADS streams, because it create qr code on it. But this is not problem on ytb choose different stream, nor on other sites. To get rid of qr codes, when you really need to download them you have to register and probably pay, but don't know, never needed it.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 7th Sep 2018 at 06:38. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bernix, are you saying I can select 'Save Link As...' and navigate the video to any folder of my own choosing, please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    no, I can see a way how to change directory for each download. But it is in download directory. If you want to sort them, there is smart renaming feature, so you can sort them by downloaded URL. It could be good to have this possibility but on other hand, it slows whole process very much.
    So there is possibility to save in folder you specified in VDH, but can't be changed for each download. And downloading with browser it goes to Download folder always.

You can try contact them to implement this feature. But i think they know why is it this way. Probably they just forgot.

Bernix
    Quote Quote