VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have captured a kanopy.com video stream, and saved the subtitles in a text file.
    The subtitle stream is labelled Type 'html' and Cause 'xhr'.
    The first three entries are:
    <a href='#' begin="5.706" end="8.289"><span class='ts'>00:05</span> (music)</a>
    <a href='#' begin="13.037" end="14.961"><span class='ts'>00:13</span> - A Swiss scientist</a>
    <a href='#' begin="14.961" end="17.128"><span class='ts'>00:14</span> had a marvelous statement,</a>
    Can anyone tell me how to convert this format to srt? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi.

I could save your text in a txt file. After that, I opened such file using Subtitle Edit . And save it into srt format.

When I opened these srt file I could see:

00:00:00,209 --> 00:00:29,446
    <a href='#' begin="." end="8.289"><span class='ts'>00:0</span> (music)</a>

00:00:00,542 --> 00:00:01,543
    <a href='#' begin="." end="14.961"><span class='ts'>00:</span> - A Swiss scientist</a>

00:00:00,584 --> 00:00:40,082
    <a href='#' begin="." end="17.128"><span class='ts'>00:</span> had a marvelous statement,</a>
    Its not perfect, but maybe I can correct the text eliminating manually all the unwanted lines, like:

<a href='#' begin="." end="17.128"><span class='ts'>00:</span>

It's boring, but maybe does it works. The timing and the essencial text remains. Deleting what is not important.

Maybe you can find other easier / automatic way to do it too.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    johner, thank you very much for helping. I also tried Subtitle Edit, but note that it gives times that are wrong as well as superfluous text (the first title should start at 5.706 sec and end at 8.289 sec, not 00:00:00,209 --> 00:00:29,446) - so it would need a lot of editing. I also tried https://gotranscript.com/subtitle-converter - which failed to convert the file. I'm hoping someone will know a better way than via Subtitle Edit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, dear all.

@ barmah

OK, try latest beta: here
    It could be helpful to see a complete file...

Nikse555, the Subtitle Edit programmer, gave me the answer above for your problem concerning subtitle convertion.

Please, test it and see if the things could be solved better. If you have more issues, report back!

PS: if needed, can you provide some complete subtitles samples for carefully testing?

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 30th Dec 2017 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or it needs someone who knows regular expression very well. Or you can send these subtitles to Subtitle edit developer. And there are some things on Github, but it is related to different site, which is probably no problem.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The author of Subtitle Edit is amazing! He has altered his excellent program so the file (https://files.videohelp.com/u/191845/test.txt) is correctly converted by the beta version of Subtitle Edit (at https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases/download/3.5.4/SubtitleEditBeta.zip). Just run the beta version of Subtitle Edit, File, Open. Problem solved.

Thanks also to devilcoelhodog and Bernix for your help, which is much appreciated.
    Quote Quote