VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I think Arial looks better than Helvetica, personally (nice history lesson though)... I can't remember which one we were using before, was it Lucida maybe? I dunno. Either way, I think it looks cleaner this way. Just be thankful we're not using Apogee or something...
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually prefer Arial over Helvetica, too. Your comment just reminded me of that article, is all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The problem I have with Arial is the way it breaks with the spirit of Helvetica. The slanted top of a lowercase t stems from the tilt found in calligraphic based typefaces. Changing stroke weight at the base of the lowercase a should not be found in a modernist sans. Neither should the arbitrary slants at the end of the strokes in the capital C or S. All of these humanist features are simply arbitrary and not within the modernist origins of the typeface.
    I guess I think of it like this: at one point we switched from a horse and cart to a car. Modern cars do not pretend to be "horseless carriages" anymore, and Arial is like taking a modern car and sticking on blinders and a braided tail. Why do it? What do these features add to the face?
    It wpuld be better to use Geneva or Verdana with larger x-heights and counter apertures designed for screen display. Typefaces designed to be readable on a computer screen rather than a typeface which is an arbitrarily mangled copy of a typeface meant for print.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Helvetica looks pretty crappy to me. Like some 70s design of what 'modern' should look like. To me, Arial has better proportions, and actually does look modern and well-balanced. There are no funky stylistic peculiarities that unnecessarily catch the eye. I think it looks like what an ideal, nondescript typeface should look like, along with a couple other fonts, (Times is also pretty good) without looking like ass like Helvetica does. Maybe I just saw too much of Helvetica in the 80s, but to me, it looks too stylized in a bad way (one that had its moment a couple decades ago, and has since passed its prime). Just let it die already, damn it!
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Right , back to the software shall we.....

As some have seen there have been issues ripping garfield... well i have updated 2.6 with the new core ( some of it anyway ) of 2.7 and that cures the prescan lockup.

Whats changed.... new uop code , 100% more reliable, quicker in the prescan.

need WW to be around so i can send him 2.6.1

Hello ?

GB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Releases are going to be difficult. I can't really update VT or MU postings until our main download site is back up, as that would definitely shut down my iDisk for the rest of the month (we get >40,000 downloads of each revision). So, until I find a new host or the wormintheapple.gr download site is back up, any releases will be available only to this board and the people on our update notification mailing list.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So....

Anybody on the mailing list that needs the new 2.6.1 version let WW know , and WW please get on ichat to get the 2.6.1 version..

GB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do i get on the mailing list?

Mark V
    Mark V

10.4.10 OS X 1.25GHz G4 768MB DDR SRAM Pioneer DVR-106D and external DVR-111D
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure whether you know this already:

If the destination drive has not enough space, MTR pops up a message that I must choose another volume.

When you press GO once more, you are not given the opportunity to do so, the same message pops up again.

Cheers,

JoachimS
    Quote Quote  
  10. @ gb

i made a test run with mtr 2.6.1 with the region 1 dvd of "the siege" which i got today. the dvd was heavily scratched, hope i get an replacment soon. anyway, i've run mtr with full dvd rip and it ripped the dvd without problems

good work gb, looking forward to version 2.7
    Quote Quote  
  11. Joachim ... thanks for that heads up on the save issue... i will slate that for a fix tomorrow..

thanks again.

GB

aka "Oldy Van Moldy"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mark V
    How do i get on the mailing list?

Mark V
    Let me know, either by email or PM. If you choose to PM me, make sure you include an email address to sign up. Announcements will also be made in new topics on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Excellent stuff....I have 2.6.1 and it works well, I rip a DVD then re-compress using FFmpegX into a format for a VOD system we are testing.

If I could launch FFMPEG with a saved preset and pass it the Video_TS location then start the compression, that would be great. So I like the idea of a post-processing option

of course if I could just tell MTR to rip the DVD and give me a half DVD with MPEG2 video and MP2 audio at 2000 kbps, that would be grand too ...heheh I know...out of scope....keep up the great work!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just used 2.6.1 to rip Catwoman (yes, I know it stinks) and it seemed a bit faster. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any reason to discuss pre-2.7 issues in this MTR 2.7 thread?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by geezerbuttz
    ... well i have updated 2.6 with the new core ( some of it anyway ) of 2.7 and that cures the prescan lockup.

Whats changed.... new uop code , 100% more reliable, quicker in the prescan.
    I would think that qualifies discussion if there might be a problem that can be fixed for 2.7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you'd be wrong. Nice try though... Discussion of 2.6.1 belongs in the 2.6.1 thread... Back on topic, here's another treat for those patiently waiting for 2.7:
    Quote Quote  
  18. Point noted....

Looks GREAT!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by compufix2
    Point noted....

Looks GREAT!!!
    That's freaking gorgeous!!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lookin' good. Nice touch with the updating Dock icon.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool, can't wait. Thanks
    *New Mac user*, been PC user 4 life
    Quote Quote  
  22. here is the new cell extraction Engine running full tilt.....

Quote Quote