VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. so, this is interesting. when I run:

ffmpeg.exe -i c:\edit\saturday.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy -timecode c:\path\to\extracted\timecode.txt output.mkv

I get a perfectly sync'd MKV file WHEN PLAYED ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.

surely of it plays perfectly in windows media player (directshow right?), we can get it to play flunetly in VLC! But maybe not.

Looking forward to your findings too jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kwondra34 View Post
    so, this is interesting. when I run:

ffmpeg.exe -i c:\edit\saturday.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy -timecode c:\path\to\extracted\timecode.txt output.mkv

I get a perfectly sync'd MKV file WHEN PLAYED ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.

surely of it plays perfectly in windows media player (directshow right?), we can get it to play flunetly in VLC! But maybe not.

It's the expected result because you muxed in timecodes = still VFR . MKV supports VFR, AVI doesn't.

The player reads the timecodes, changing the display FPS (it speeds up, slows down in sections) according to those timecodes.

You still can't edit it, and if you upload to youtube (which re-encodes), it will still be out of sync

You cannot edit VFR video, unless you have an application that keeps track of timecodes and metadata. Vdub doesn't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a 5 minute sample - synch doesn't look to bad.
    I converted it directly in Avidemux 2.6 build 7719
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Poisondeathray, can you recommend an application that supports editing VFR? I just want to literally do two things: cut out the guy talking at the beginning and end and have simple fade in and fade out. I'll need to save it so it's in sync for YouTube. of such a thing isn't possible I will resort to screen capture!!

Dave, thank you! I cannot test it now but how does it look after 20 minutes? if still in sync (when played in VLC) my mind is blown and why couldn't I achieve the same result OH WISE ONE!!

THANKS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kwondra34 View Post
    Poisondeathray, can you recommend an application that supports editing VFR? I just want to literally do two things: cut out the guy talking at the beginning and end and have simple fade in and fade out. I'll need to save it so it's in sync for YouTube. of such a thing isn't possible I will resort to screen capture!!
    I'm not aware of any , at least from an FLV source.

Pro editing software can edit VFR if timecodes are part of the metadata (e.g. undercrank/overcranking with professional cameras) . This is different than the simple timecodes that FLV uses

If I was doing this, I would do a lossless screen capture then edit that. Sync will be identical to original file, but in CFR - so you will have duplicate frames inserted during those low FPS periods
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you. Poision--between you, Dave, and Jagabo, this is BY FAR. THE BEST. free support i've ever received... so thank you for all you did and do for others.

I will go the lossless screencapture route if Dave's idea doesn't pan out.

Oh, one last thing. remember, I could also use a VFR editor that supports MKV cause I was successful extractibg to that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by kwondra34 View Post
    remember, I could also use a VFR editor that supports MKV cause I was successful extractibg to that.
    mkv and flv are not supported in professional editing software . They are most commonly used as containers for end delivery formats, not meant to be edited
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Dave,

was your result good in avidemux after 20 or 30 minutes?

also, I thought of something. the original-ORIGINAL flv I recorded with replay media catcher 4 and use the fix duration AND fixfile content feature which shifts the time stamps evey by 15 or something along those lines. I will try the ORIGINAL flv tonight with convertfps and report back.

but Dave, if your version and settings for avidemux worked, please provide!
    Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I set the A and B markers to 18 minutes and 23 minutes. The 5 minute result seemed good to me.
    I didn't do any thing special. I set "video" to xvid, CQ=4, audio to mp3 - choose your own bitrate.

That's it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey again,

Can you elaborate a little bit on how to screen record this with a lossless codec. I've tried with CamStudio and its associated lossless recording codec but havent bad much luck (weird rainbow colors in the output file). Other lossless codecs record quality fine but play much slower than the defined 29.97fps.

Got any recommendations of how I can finish this last part of the job?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try huffyuv or ut video codec . UT is probably the fastest multithreaded lossless codec

What are your computer specs? and HDD setup? If it's too slow/old, it might not be capable of realtime playback - in that case you might need something lossy with low CPU consumption, maybe divx or xvid
    Quote Quote  
  12. Poison,

Thanks for the reply again. I have a middle-class 2nd gen core I5 with 8gb ram and 7200rpm. Should be strong enough. I will try these codecs and report back!
    Quote Quote  
  13. All is wonderful, well, and brilliant!

I used ut video codec to perfom a lossless recording of the stream that played properly in a directshow player (such as WMP) and wouldnt play properly in VFW/VLC, etc, etc.

THANK YOU. My trick happened to be enabling the "Speed" switch on my laptop -- I assumed on my Sony VAIO it would be okay to leave it on "STAMINA" mode which is why none of the lossless codecs seem to record at full speed. Indeed I then dropped the corresponding AVI file into VirtualDub and took the original audio and used 'Audio from other file...' and it matched PERFECTLY.

Here is the final result and I made the release date I was hoping to THANKS TO YOU GUYS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtG2omG2dVg

As you can see right away, the original stream quality was not very good but it's for all intents and purposes IDENTICAL to what the originally looked like.

I just have to thank all of you in this effort!! THANK YOU.
    Quote Quote  
  14. See my original post. The FLV skips and temporarily delays the video so that the audio can stay in sync. You can download the original FLV in my initial post to see this behavior.

Once the AVS script is successfully loaded and I can see a still image of the video, and I press play, the video does not play. but I can save out (still out of sync).

Hope this clears things up.

So, FLV to MKV could potentially work?
    Quote Quote