VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a blu-ray ripped movie in mkv format (8GB) and burned it to a DVD+DL using Nero. The burn process was successful and I could play it in my pc using MPC. The problem is everytime it gets to the middle part of the movie, it freezes. I am able to watch the entire movie as long as I skip that middle part.

I tried burning that movie again to a different brand of DVD+DL, still using nero, and the same problem occurs.

Does it have something to do with the layer switch? Is there anyway I can burn my mkv file to a dual layer without having this problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nero = Dumbass software when it comes to DVD burning. And for DL it is amongst the lowest of the low.

Even for data burning, there is only one truly reliable combination. Verbatim DL +R discs, burned with Imgburn.

Anything else is just building a coaster collection.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dont use nero to re-encode the mkv,try tsmuxergui,it will author it to blu-ray much faster without any encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I wasn't re-encoding it, I just burned it as data dvd. I didn't want to lose its HD quality. And I happened to use a Verbatim DL as my first disc.

I will try to look at ImgBurn. Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Further, the Layer Break is a DVD Video attribute, not something used in data burns.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just thought it's a layer break issue because it always freezes in the middle part of the movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is always going to be the weakest point, and made worse by the fact that you are effectively burning one big data file to the disc. If you burned it as a DVD you would not have the same problem, as a DVD player and the DVD spec are designed to deal with (that said, the layer break is still the weakest point of a DL burn).

I have never had much success with DL data burns, although DL DVDs have never been a problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, using Imgburn is not gonna help me either?

The only reason I'm burning it to a DL is to back it up so I can delete it from my hdd because it takes a lot of space. I guess if that will always be the issue then my only option for now is to buy a large capacity hdd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Portable HDDs are relatively cheap. Get a 1 TB external drive and you can put a hell of a lot on it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I was also thinking, from what I understand, rippers out there rips/re-encode videos to a certain size so that it could fit a specific media. I was wondering, if they ripped a blu-ray movie to fit a DL, have they actually tried burning them to see if it works?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you are now heading into is likely to breach forum rules. I would think carefully about how you proceed with your questions. Discussion of downloaded copyright material is verboten, and ripped Bluray movies sounds suspiciously like exactly that.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote