VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVR-550H. HD works great and the DVD seems to burn without an issue. The only thing is the DVD is very finicky on what DVDs it will play. I see several posts on this units laser getting weak over time burning DVDs but mine does not seem to have this issue. I have taken apart the DVD and blew out the dust in the lens. Is my problem the laser pickup or is it just out of adjustment?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should use a cleaning CD. Most of the times there is dust or a fine film on the laser lens that causes these problems. Buy a cleaning CD since CDs are the easiest to read-in vs. cleaning DVDs. Or - if you can access the laser lens - use a cotton swab with alcohol to clean it.

For writing the laser uses its full power. For reading something like 10% of it at that might be too less when the lens is polluted.
    Last edited by Moody_Blues; 16th May 2023 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I performed surgery on the DVR a couple years ago getting it to where I could access the laser. It was quite a lot of work to get to it. I did use a cotton swab and alcohol. I will have to pick up a CD cleaner.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I put a bit of alcohol on the little bristles of the CD lens cleaner using a cotton swab just before loading. Don't know if it actually helps, it something I do.
    Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 17th May 2023 at 08:43. Reason: Q-Tip = cotton swab
    Quote Quote  
  5. The CD lens cleaners are pretty much all the same, a CD with bristles. Any brand would do. Your link is at a good price.
    Quote Quote