VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    here's something for you guys to consider:

if i posted asking for help in pirating a video editing app, perhaps looking for a crack that would turn a trial version into a full version or asking for a link where i could download a pirated copy of say tmpg express, the thread would get shut down, i would be warned about the forum rules regarding pirated content and perhaps before all that i would get admonished by one or two posters.

similarly, if i asked for a link where i could find full versions of movies, a similar sequence of events would transpire.

now, if i asked for help in overclocking my cpu or soft modding my geforce to a quadro i would get advice, links, perhaps stories of similar successful events.

if i pointed out the hypocrisy in helping me get something i didn't pay for in the latter case but not in the former case, i'm sure there would be more than one post "explaining" to me that overclocking your cpu or soft modding a video card is not the same as pirating software or movies and if i can't see the difference then i must be <insert chosen insult here>.

well, what about if i asked where i could download the app that let's me turn a Pentium G6951 into a core i3:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/18/intel-wants-to-charge-50-to-unlock-stuff-your-cpu-can-already-d/

Intel wants to charge $50 to unlock stuff your CPU can already do
    so what do you guys think, would it be wrong of me to ask, and for someone to supply, a link to where a serial number and utility is hosted that lets me turn a pentium g into a core i3?

or is it conceptually just like me asking where i can find a crack that let's me turn a standard edition of a video editing app into the ultimate edition?

and if it's ok in the first instance, why is it not ok in the second instance?

2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's against the law to use cracks to bypass paying companies money for products and services they sell and its also against forum rules to ask for such cracks and serial numbers.

It's common sense to realize you can get into trouble doing these things and it's not needed to tell you it's against the law,it should be also be common sense to know you can get banned and have posts removed.

Also asking for help on modding hardware with basic tools and knowledge is different than asking for codes to unlock hardware which cost which is also illegal to do.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with johns0. Once someone gets in legal trouble for "hardware pirating" as you propose, THEN it becomes something we can't help you with.

I suppose I could also point out the obvious that AMD is very friendly towards overclockers. I'm not saying that Intel is against the practice, but AMD embraces these people.

4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I suppose I could also point out the obvious that AMD is very friendly towards overclockers. I'm not saying that Intel is against the practice, but AMD embraces these people.
    Only if you pay more for a Black Edition part. Intel is happy to let you overclock if you pay more for an Unlocked or Extreme Edition part too. They both lock the CPU multiplier on all their other parts.

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think unlocking a extra core, overclocking your CPU, GPU, ect. really falls under "piracy".

Gigabyte, Asus, ect. make several motherboards & software that allow you to unlock extra cores on a cpu, while both those companies & several others do not make their mobo's capable of unlocking or overclocking CPU's.
    I doubt they are breaking any kind of laws....

I have unlocked 2 triple cores to quad cores and i only paid for a triple core.... uh oh..... here come the hardware popo!!
    LOL!!

If you already own the hardware you are simply modifying it, whether through hardware or software, not pirating it.

And if someone makes some piece of software to modify your CPU or hardware so you don't have to pay for it from intel, more power to ya!!

I found this site long ago, it lets you change your firmware on routers and allows you to make it into a powerhouse compared to the way it comes from the factory.

http://lifehacker.com/178132/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 25th Sep 2010 at 18:20.

Search Comp PM
    hardware modding could be illegal in one distinct area:

game console modding

that would involve cracking or chipping to play backed up games.

Of course I know all about the "personal" use side of the argument. But that is often not the case in that side of it.

However these days users get banned from online services for illegal modifications so chances are people won't be as eager to do that - unless its an extra console or they don't play online in the first place.

Though I don't see it being wrong to mod a console to add codec support or modify what it can and can't do if its not related to actually playing games themselves.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

7. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    If you already own the hardware you are simply modifying it, whether through hardware or software, not pirating it.
    Unless the manufacturers start including a EULAs which limit your use.

8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Unless the manufacturers start including a EULAs which limit your use.
    LOL!!

Yeah that would work....

9. you own it. you have the right to do whatever you want with it(not intended for sale) . I don't care what the EULA,NAACP, Rainbow coalition say . companies don't have issue if you toss it in the trash and buy a new one right?lol

10. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    hardware modding could be illegal in one distinct area:

game console modding
    Legally that is a gray area. You could do that so you can play homebrew things & that would be legal.

What is interesting is when they created that R4 for the DS & then someone created a clone of that R4. Is that clone legal ?

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hardware modifications can be risky. You may not get something more than what you paid for. You may get nothing extra, or inoperable hardware instead.

Whether the modifications work or not, the warranties, guarantees, and return privileges for the item have likely been voided. Those are more often applicable to hardware than EULAs.

The linked article on Intel's upgrade card showed a tag on a Gateway PC. The motherboards on pre-built PCs usually don't allow overclocking or unlocking locked cores. If using Intel's software allows buyers to upgrade a CPU already installed in a pre-built system, and doesn't void the warranty, perhaps it will be worth the $50 to some people.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2010 at 11:16.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    well, what about if i asked where i could download the app that let's me turn a Pentium G6951 into a core i3:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/18/intel-wants-to-charge-50-to-unlock-stuff-your-cpu-can-already-d/

so what do you guys think, would it be wrong of me to ask, and for someone to supply, a link to where a serial number and utility is hosted that lets me turn a pentium g into a core i3?

or is it conceptually just like me asking where i can find a crack that let's me turn a standard edition of a video editing app into the ultimate edition?

My opinion:
    In both cases you want to pirate software.
    The function of the software -- one edits video, one unlocks some hardware -- is irrelevant to the morality or otherwise.

And in any case this is the wrong place to ask about modding your CPU by whatever means, hardware questions like that are peripheral to what this forum is about. There are plenty of other forums where it is on topic and you are more likely to get a germane answer.

13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    And in any case this is the wrong place to ask about modding your CPU by whatever means, hardware questions like that are peripheral to what this forum is about. There are plenty of other forums where it is on topic and you are more likely to get a germane answer.
    Here come the popo.....

Computer
    Talk about anything related to PC hardware or software here.
    LOL!!!

And asking for somewhere to get or software to hack a CPU is "pirating" ?
    He did not ask where he could get a hacked version of the software Intel is selling, lot's of people make software or programming to do the same thing pay software does, for free!!
    That does not make it "pirating".
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 26th Sep 2010 at 11:48.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    here's something for you guys to consider:

if i posted asking for help in pirating a video editing app, perhaps looking for a crack that would turn a trial version into a full version or asking for a link where i could download a pirated copy of say tmpg express, the thread would get shut down, i would be warned about the forum rules regarding pirated content and perhaps before all that i would get admonished by one or two posters.

similarly, if i asked for a link where i could find full versions of movies, a similar sequence of events would transpire.

now, if i asked for help in overclocking my cpu or soft modding my geforce to a quadro i would get advice, links, perhaps stories of similar successful events.

if i pointed out the hypocrisy in helping me get something i didn't pay for in the latter case but not in the former case, i'm sure there would be more than one post "explaining" to me that overclocking your cpu or soft modding a video card is not the same as pirating software or movies and if i can't see the difference then i must be <insert chosen insult here>.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The way you posted this sounds more like you want to debate the topic than ask a question.

It is entirely possible that in some lands under certain conditions, hardware mods / hacking could be against the law. However, you're making this too complicated.

Since laws vary by country and morality by individual, the rules at VideoHelp are not strictly based on the law or morality.

If I may be blunt, the simple answer is that Baldrick is the administrator and owner of this site and he alone has final say on what is acceptable and not acceptable here. He may or may not change his mind as he sees fit. The moderators are only interpreting and enforcing Baldrick's wishes so throwing this out to the general population of this site won't amount to much.

If someone has doubts before starting a thread they can pm a mod and ask if a particular question would transgress the rules. If the mods don't know the answer they'll contact Baldrick for clarification.

Seems to me like it's all been said before.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Here come the popo.....
    Computer
    Talk about anything related to PC hardware or software here.
    LOL!!!

And asking for somewhere to get or software to hack a CPU is "pirating" ?
    He did not ask where he could get a hacked version of the software Intel is selling, lot's of people make software or programming to do the same thing pay software does, for free!!
    That does not make it "pirating".
    Yeah, you CAN talk about hardware here.
    I never said you couldn't, so STFU about "Here come the popo....."
    I just said it wasn't the best venue.

And he asked "would it be wrong of me to ask, and for someone to supply, a link to where a serial number and utility".
    So what's the serial number for if not cracking the utility?
    According to the link, it's Intel software that costs $50. If he wanted a freeware equivalent he should have asked for that.

Anyway, the whole subject is just flamebait, as you have demonstrated, so I won't waste any more time on this topic.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 26th Sep 2010 at 12:04.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. I sort of lost track of the topic.

Asking for a serial number or a place to download a cracked version of Intel's CPU upgrade software would be asking for warez, according to this websites rules. The site rules don't appear to list any exceptions based on the function the pirated software performs. This is only my opinion, and I agree it is probably best to PM a mod for a definitive answer on questions about the rules.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Sep 2010 at 13:18. Reason: spelling

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think the "popo" seriously need to consult a doctor about getting that stick removed!!

LOL!!

18. Would the OP consider someone who changes their wheels on their car as breaking the law? What about putting in better headlight bulbs, or changing the carburettor, or adding spoilers and body kit to a car? All would change the car from it's original specs and would, I presume, be wrong in the OP's opinion. As long as the owner informs whoever they need to inform to stay legal (in the case of computer hardware that's no one) then it's up to them what they do, and if they overcook it, well, that's up to them too.

19. The only right the maker of the equipment have is the right to void the warranty .thats it

20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    The only right the maker of the equipment have is the right to void the warranty.That's it.
    If the maker of the equip has additional options/hardware that can only be accessed by using a code that's built in is different than adding items that are not of the original setup so that statement doesn't cover all aspects.

Search Comp PM
    I think the "popo" seriously need to consult a doctor about getting that stick removed!!

LOL!!
    You deliberately, or perhaps just illiterately, misinterpreted what I wrote and proceeded to call me names and attributed opinions to me that I never made.

I don't see it as a failing that I am not amused by your inane, stupid and insulting remarks.

22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Time to shutdown this thread.