+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Question in title
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What OS?
    The bigger problem is trying to insist using Win10, a known-bad capturing OS.
    Many, many cards fail in Win10, and more fail at each update.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    What OS?
    The bigger problem is trying to insist using Win10, a known-bad capturing OS.
    Many, many cards fail in Win10, and more fail at each update.
    Windows 10. It's the only supported Windows version. If it will help I can dual boot Windows 7 or XP depending what the VC500 was designed for. My guess is Windows XP. I use Virtualdub2 because it includes all the codecs I need including huffyuv. Otherwise these codecs don't install in Windows 10. I tried installing huffyuv and lagarith which both appeared to install but would never show up in Virtualdub1.9. Are the codecs also only compatible with up to Windows 7?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It should work fine on windows 10, I just used one earlier today (unless you have the very earliest variant of it from like 2010-2011 or something which had completely different hardware.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Otherwise these codecs don't install in Windows 10. I tried installing huffyuv and lagarith which both appeared to install but would never show up in Virtualdub1.9.
    Something's astray here. You don't "install" codecs into Virtual Dub 1.9.11 (best capture version); it picks them up if they are installed on your computer. Perhaps try re-installing them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try if the codecs do show up if you use a 32 Bit (x86) version of VirtualDub 1.9.11. You don't need 64 Bit for capturing and 32 Bit is usually more compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    I just used one earlier today
    Did you use S-Video?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It was composite as S-Video on the specific one I have is broken (color is missing), though that's a broken connection or something on it itself as other ones work fine (and same occurs on linux).

Does it show up in Virtualdub? There are some combinations of graphics card, virtualdub version and windows 10 that can cause some issues with the virtualdub preview. Sometimes you have to swap to the right tv system in the bundled EzCap application for it to work properly as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    It was composite as S-Video on the specific one I have is broken (color is missing), though that's a broken connection or something on it itself as other ones work fine (and same occurs on linux).

Does it show up in Virtualdub? There are some combinations of graphics card, virtualdub version and windows 10 that can cause some issues with the virtualdub preview. Sometimes you have to swap to the right tv system in the bundled EzCap application for it to work properly as well.
    I finally figured out what the problem is. The Diamond VC500 doesn't seem to support pass through mode from a DVD recorder which is connected to the video player. It only works when directly connected to the video player. I tried pass-through with an Easy-Cap and it works, even with S-Video. I emailed Diamond and hopefully I will get a response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To be honest it appears your Diamond is broken (bad solder joint, broken internal wire, something like that). There is no way it would "not support" passthrough from a DVD-recorder because for all that matters, the Diamond has no way of knowing what it is connected to, nor a reason to refuse this setup. If it works sometimes, that's probably just random. You should try to get a refund.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless it is the dvd-recorder that is inconsistent with it's pass-through.

The simple test is to remove the dvd-recorder from the capture chain and then try both devices.
    Quote Quote  
  12. That seems very odd, I would normally expect it to work better with the dvd-recorder output, I know it doesn't handle the 240p menu output from VCRs properly at least. A DVD-recorder will normally give a stable signal out unless it detects macrovision in case it may put macrovosion on the output. The only exception I know are panasonic ones that turn off the output if there is nothing connected on the input. I've used VC500s with DVD-recorder passthrough quite a bit, which it works pretty well for and it doesn't mind if there is macrovision on the output. It doesn't work well at all on direct VCR output, especially on windows. (A bit better on linux for whatever reason though still not great, there seem to be some difference in settings between the windows and linux drivers, no idea why.)

It could of course be that the S-Video input on OPs faulty or something yeah.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing - I now read that removing the dvd-recorder from the chain does work so the villain is the dvd-recorder and not the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I assumed we had that ruled out, but oh well – in the other thread I told the OP to try other devices via S-Video than just this DVD-recorder, but got no answer.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    I assumed we had that ruled out, but oh well – in the other thread I told the OP to try other devices via S-Video than just this DVD-recorder, but got no answer.
    I connected the dvd recorder which is connected to the video player to the TV and I get video output. I bought another capture device (IO GV USB2) and that doesn't work either when connected to the dvd recorder or the video player. All I get is a black screen. The Diamond is faulty. I connected it directly to the video player and got a corrupted video signal. I have no idea what is wrong with my setup. When I connected my EasyCap I was easily able to get passthrough from S-Video on the DVD Recorder. But capturing with the EasyCap is less than ideal considering I have spent $140 on two other capture devices that have superior video quality that either need a specific version of Windows 10 or don't work at all on Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I repeat, to rule out there is something wrong with your passthrough DVD-recorder, connect something else that has S-Video just for testing.
    You cannot make sure any other way.

We need to sort the possible sources of error, and the way I see it there are these yet to be sorted:

• DVD-recorder
    • actual capture Hardware
    • Drivers/Windows 10
    Quote Quote