VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the Samsung YP-P2 for my girl friend, I want to convert some movies, I understand it supports MPEG4 video playback on 480x272 resolution, but I need to know whether it supports 25fps and can the PSP AVC/h264 profile can be used?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is taken from the manual on Samsung's site

When transferring a video file to the player using <Media Studio>, it is automatically converted into .svi format before transfer. The file size is automatically adjusted too. A video file that is not converted into .svi format cannot be played on your player.
    So while it claims to be able to play a wide range of formats, what it is really saying is that it will convert a wide range of formats to the Samsung proprietary SVI format for playback.

I wouldn't waste too much time converting when it is going to convert them again anyway.

The rest of the manual is here : http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200709/20070912082622968_YPP2J-USA-ENGLISH1.0.pdf
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so it doesn't support 25fps and what about if I want the trim my video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't talk about framerates, although the demos I have seen seem to show a reduced framerate. I honestly don't know if it will preserve the source framerate or set it's own.

As for trimming, I would see if it accepts an avisynth script. You can use the Trim statement to remove sections you don't want encoded, and it saves you the time and quality drop of an extra re-encode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just download Samsung Media Studio 5 and it does give me the option for 25fps, but it can't open .avs files, I need to crop and trim the video, what should I do? Should I crop and trim the video first then encode with its original specs such as same file ext and bitrate to prevent any loss in video quality or shall I encode to MPEG4 with similar settings to the Samsung YP-P2 (MPEG4) then convert finally for the Samsung player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can't open .avs or can't see .avs ?

If it is just trimming then AVI Demux can use smart encoding to reduce quality loss. If it is cropping then you have to completely re-encode. Using the same settings as the original will reduce quality more than using higher settings, but higher settings will require more space.

What is the source that requires trimming ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the source file .VOB.

would it be better to encode it to MPEG4 for trimming and cropping and then finally allowing Samsung Media Studio 5 to encode to SVI for the player rather then me encoding it to MPEG2 again and then letting Samsung Media Studio 5 convert to SVI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are only trimming then you could use VideoRedo (payware) or mpeg2cut2 or cuttermaran (free) to trim the files without the need to re-encode at all. That would be the best options.

If you do have to crop them, then mp4 is probably the best format. Again, AVI Demux can do this if you have nothing else.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    will AVI Demux re-encode?

why is it better to re-encode in MPEG4 then with the same specs in an MPEG2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because you can get the same quality in half the bitrate. So if you encode H264 at the same bitrate as the source mpeg-2 you will get a virtually lossless encode, without the size overhead of a lossless codec.

That said, this might all be moot if the Samsung software crushes the crap out of it anyway. Do some test encodes for the device and see what quality you get. It might not matter too much just what you do to it beforehand anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shall I keep all the specs the same, only change the output file format which will be MPEG4 AVC/H264?

I just started encoding it, its going to take 5 hours
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The encoding finished last night, I named the file extension .MP4, but the video does not play on any media player, not even MPC or Quicktime, what's wrong with the file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Without knowing your settings or what you did, it is pretty difficult to say.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are the details of my project:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And if you use MediaInfo or Video Inspector on the file, what do they say ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Gspot, and this is my result:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Somehow you have managed to produce a dodgy file, but I don't know why.

You also didn't answer this question :

which is an important distinction.

Honestly, this seems to be a lot of time and effort to get a video onto the player. Way too much double-handling and re-encoding. if you are going to crop and resize, you may as well go all the way to 480 x 272 so at least you have control over the quality of the resize. Beyond that, I really don't think it matters much what you do with it because it will be re-encoded again. You might as well leave it uncompressed. Yes, it will be huge, but it will only be around for a short time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You also didn't answer this question :

which is an important distinction.
    It can't open AND see .avs files
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I converted it again, only the video file came up to 8.5GB, still doesn't work, I guess I may need to encode the audio too, me not doing so may be the problem, if I convert it to the Samsung YP-P2 profile using Avidemux and then again using the the Samsung software, would it result the video have more decreased quality then if I just convert it to 480x272 - 2024kbps (vidio) - 384kbps (audio)? For both, I will convert to MPEG4 AVC/h264
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also, is anyone having problems opening .mov files in avidemux?
    Quote Quote