VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My pay TV provider (Sky in New Zealand) has just rolled out new set top boxes, which do away with component outputs, apply copy protection to the standard analog outputs, and have a dramatically worse picture quality over analog than the old decoders. This is annoying, as all my video is routed through a HTPC for recording and streaming around the house etc. So will now have to grab the video off the HDMI port. Fortunately, I already possess an HDFury2 and a Hauppauge HD PVR, which can let my HTPC grab the video.

Unfortunately, I haven't used the Fury for some years, and have somehow misplaced the power cable. So I need to buy or make a new one.

I should be able to make up a USB cable, as it needs 5VDC at up to 500mA, which means that I could power it off either the Sky box's USB port or the HTPC, eliminating a wall wart. The plug I need is a barrel one (like the old cellphone charger connectors) with a 2.6mm outer diameter and a 0.65mm inner diameter. But I can't find that plug anywhere in NZ, or the sources I have searched that will ship internationally.

I have found a vendor of pre-made USB cables designed for the HDFury2. They are South African and have the relevant cable for 60 Rand (about $6NZ or $4.50 US), but sadly won't ship to NZ.

Any suggestions on where I can get a power cable, or the plug I need so that I can solder one up (preferably reasonably priced), greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If all else fails, you may be better off using a wall wart with the correct end, if they are available, than pulling power off a USB line.
    Just look around for a cell phone charger wall wart.

In either situation, make sure you have the correct polarity at the connector tip.

But other members in NZ may have better suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, that's the vendor I found. They won't ship it outside South Africa.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I may have to go with that. Although $50US plus shipping just to get a USB cable seems a little on the steep side. Plus, I don't need 10, and all they seem to sell is a 10 pack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe you could sell the other 8 or 9 on eBay to make your money back.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote