VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of course Cisco is the best option out of the box , but for less than $60 and a little tweaking time on your end the buffalo WHR-G54S + DD-WRT becomes a great challenger of the Cisco 2811 for a fraction of the price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A merest fraction of the cost even

I've been working with 2800s for a little while now and have been looking to get one for my integrated network project at my cabin (I built it to be integrate with technology systems) since it can handle firewall, VPN, wireless AP, voice, and data.

In fact for my regular wireless use I simply use D-Link products. I've had a DI-624 since it first came out a few years ago and have been using it continuously with no problems. Firmware upgrade added the latest wireless security standards and it has worked with all my other branded wireless devices. I even got it a little D-Link GbE auto-sensing switch for my workstations to share data faster. I guess I've never had any issues with D-Link.

The only problems I've had with a wireless router was a Netgear one we tried to install at work for the mobile professionals who were regulars. It didn't seem to like working with the other routers on the network so we got rid of it entirely. We put a Linksys high-output AP there instead and it has worked well these past several months.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my place of work we also have some of these Cisco Routers and the work really good.

D-Link gear is nice, I still have an older DI-704P, that was unplugged when I went wireless. It was replaced by a Linksys WRT54G and with a WPS54G wireless print server. At one moment in time I used OpenWRT firmware in my router, but in Decī2005 DD-WRT 2.3. It is simple and powerful and all the features I needed could be managed very quickly through the web interface . If you ever have access to one of the DD-WRT supported routers, try this firmware, you may become another DD-WRT happy user.

By the way, BrainSlayer (DD-WRT developer) just released DD-WRT v23 SP1 Release Candidate 1. So it is time to upgrade once again. I will flash my Buffalo WHR-G54S today and all others in a few days.

If there is interest, I could report how it went.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ofbarea,

Just a brief note to thank you for your excellent instructions on using the dd-wrt firmware on the Buffalo routers. I bought myself two as a birthday gift but need to wait until May 16th to open them.

Thanks to you setup sounds like it will be a piece of cake.

My only concerns are:

1) The inability to go back to Buffalo firmware once dd-wrt is loaded.

2) The bridging button on the Buffalo routers is apparently disabled by the firmware change. I will be using the routers to create a wireless bridge and a button sounds SO nice.

Any comments?

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Eyedoctor2,

On the fisrt question currently it is not possible to go back to original buffalo firmware as it is encrypted. Since flashing your buffalos to DD-WRT will void your warranty, you better not install DD-WRT until you are sure that both routers are working fine.

Still there is some hope because of the following:

BrainSlayer @ DD-WRT discussion
    the buffalo is better.
    about the speed. the networking stuff etc. is identical. so pure wan/lan networking should have the same speed as linksys. but the unit itself is smaller and looks more nice for me. the integrated amplifier is integrated in the cpu. thats why only the whr hp has this features.
    you can turn back to the buffalo firmware. i'm just waiting for response from the buffalo hq for some informations. if they wont tell me the encryption system i will provide a unencrypted whr firmware on my website
    On the bridging button on the Buffalo, do not worry about it. All can be configured using the WEB based configuration page. There are several tutorials for common router uses. Check them out in here: Common Configuration Guides
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ofbarea,

Thank you very much for the excellent info!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Also turn/change to WEP encryption, so your wireless router figured out who to ignore.
    That is something you don't want to do. What you want to do is setup WPA encryption if you don't wish to be vulnerable to hacking.

WEP is a broken encyrption protocol, whereas a 63 jibberish WPA key is uncrackable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DD-WRT 2.3 SP1 final (16-MAY-2006) has been released. If you are using this DD-WRT firmware upgrade to this version as several bugs have been fixed.

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    News: Now there is available an un-encripted version of the Buffalo WHR-G54S firmware. You just need to flash the un-encripted Buffalo firmware file (from this this post).

DD-WRT
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I have had the same Netgear B router running non-stop for the last 3 years. I get download speeds of 1.2 mbs when I am hardwired and 900kbs through the wireless with Bellsouth DSL (my package claims 2.4mbs). I had to reboot the router often with Adelphia cable service, but that was the fault of Adelphia's overtaxed node. The most I have had connected to it at one time was 5 computers, 3 wired and 2 wireless. It didn't have a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    My theory is ... Comcast cuts me off ... when I download too much ... in a certain time period. So I use a Timer ... to keep my downloads ... downloading.
    Good news, this theory is wrong. No one would waste their time to cut 1 user repeatedly just to reconnect a bit later. If cut, modem is dead (deauthorized) and no timer will ever bring it back to life. You have poor connection and high CRC errors throttling your modem down to zero.

Oops, old post... sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am glad to see Buffalo wireless router in Best Buy Flyer. Good products should get proper eposure.

Buffalo is better than Netegar has a limited product. Linksys has a product that need hacked firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by InXess
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    My theory is ... Comcast cuts me off ... when I download too much ... in a certain time period. So I use a Timer ... to keep my downloads ... downloading.
    Good news, this theory is wrong. No one would waste their time to cut 1 user repeatedly just to reconnect a bit later. If cut, modem is dead (deauthorized) and no timer will ever bring it back to life. You have poor connection and high CRC errors throttling your modem down to zero.

Oops, old post... sorry.
    Well ... what ever the crap is going on ... it sure pisses me off. It has been weeks now and the senario has changed ... this problem has changed.

I did away with Comcast HD TV [monthly charges were $140]... I still use the basic Comcast feed ... only because I need the Internet connection ... [monthly charges are now around $70 bucks].

And now have Directv HD ... one HR10-250 HD Box in living room and one in the bedroom.

Yesterday ... AT & T told me I can get DSL in my area ... hmmm ... [they merged with SBC] ... so if they do provide DSL in my area ... I will say to Comcast ... get the F*&%$# out of here.

I tried to watch Smallville a few nights ago ... using the Comcast feed ... geez ... it looked like crap ... those ugly rolling lines were back and over a inch thick ... two at a time rolling up ... repeating ... repeating ... repeating ... repeating.

Huge rolling lines two at a time on my screen ... Comcast did pretty good for awhile but those lines are back.

I've got a nice BowTie type antenna attached to my roof and HD reception is great. And Directv provides feeds of our local area TV shows in our area ... and they are clear ... not like the Comcast reception.

Dinner is almost ready ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry you've had such bad luck with Comcast. Any technology can be frustrating when it doesn't work as clean as we think it should. In my situation, Comcast (both on the cable and internet sides) required me to put in some personal time and effort to optimize my setups recently. Now I'm screaming on both platforms.

With my video I installed a bidirectional signal amplifier which cleaned up the cable signal to all 7 of my outlets. BTW, I believe Comcast GUARANTEES 4 quality video outlets.

On the internet side, I was experiencing too much latency and dropped connections so I took it upon myself to read up on the subject, called Comcast and had the guy come out and tweak the box on the pole. Now that the upstream and downstream power levels are within normal limits and the SNR has stabilized slightly above 35 dB, I'm experiencing quality 6.2 mb download speeds with minimal latency and NO dropped sessions, ever. The Linksys wireless WCG200 modem/router has operated flawlessly for approximately a year now. I would recommend it to anyone.

Hang in there.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your example shows, it pays to do your homework...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by slacker
    With my video I installed a bidirectional signal amplifier which cleaned up the cable signal to all 7 of my outlets. BTW, I believe Comcast GUARANTEES 4 quality video outlets.
    I got a cable TV amplifier from Radio shack and Walmart, both of them did not improve my cable Tv at the far end of the cable.

Which amplifer did you used ? and who sells them ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The amplifier I installed to "clean up" my signal just amplified the noise in the original signal even more.

I don't have cable any longer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a NetGear WGT624 108Mbps router and I'm very satisfied with it. It does all that I need it to do (with one minor thing missing). Before that I was running a WRT54G v1 with latest firmware and had no complaints or connection issues. I just upgraded for the increased Wireless speed since I stream movies over wireless to my laptop all the time.

The only thing that the WRT54G had that I wish I could find on the WGT624 is remote management over HTTPS. If anyone knows how this can be done, I'd love to hear it (PM vs threadjack).
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote