VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'd like to capture real Atari 2600 video game footage and upload it to YouTube, but I can't figure out how to clear up the picture. It's flashing and kind of wiggling. I made a short video that shows the problem:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kENF5OeCELQ

Does anyone know what I can do to get a clear picture?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Atari 2600 (although invented less than 2 miles from here) was not a stable NTSC video source. It was intended for playback on a fast lock TV set. Not for capture. Recording devices expect stable spec video.

I'm sure a 2600 forum would have some who have solved this issue. I'm thinking frame sync.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The Atari 2600 (although invented less than 2 miles from here) was not a stable NTSC video source. It was intended for playback on a fast lock TV set. Not for capture. Recording devices expect stable spec video.

I'm sure a 2600 forum would have some who have solved this issue. I'm thinking frame sync.
    Thanks. I posted what you said in the thread below in case it might help:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/193854-trying-to-hook-up-atari-2600-to-computer-u...wintv-hvr-850/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a thread about NES capturing here: Nintendo NES Game Play video capture (recording)

Goes over specs, hardware needed, capture software, sample clips, etc.
    I'd imagine NES and Atari 2600 are similar.

You may need a TBC to stabilize the signal between the console and the capture device.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    There's a thread about NES capturing here: Nintendo NES Game Play video capture (recording)

Goes over specs, hardware needed, capture software, sample clips, etc.
    I'd imagine NES and Atari 2600 are similar.

You may need a TBC to stabilize the signal between the console and the capture device.
    Thanks. Looks like I won't need to buy anything extra. I finally fixed the problem!

I have a broken DVD recorder and running it through there didn't fix anything, just like the VCRs and a little RF Modulator that kind of looks like this, but there's something I didn't try until now.

The broken DVD recorder has S-Video output, so I plugged that into the little RF Modulator which has S-Video input, then ran the coaxial cable from the RF Modulator to the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-85 and now I'm getting a stable picture!

Here's what I did in case it might help others or in case I forget and need the info later:

1. Atari 2600 connected to broken DVD recorder using a Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter.

2. S-Video cable connected from broken DVD recorder to the RF Modulator.

3. Left and Right RCA cables connected from broken DVD recorder to the RF Modulator.

4. Coaxial cable connected from RF Modulator to Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-85.

Here's what it looks like now:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqJWxAji5w
    Last edited by Random Terrain; 10th Feb 2012 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think some of the 2600 emulators will allow you to record their output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think some of the 2600 emulators will allow you to record their output.
    Last time I checked, there was one crappy emulator that could supposedly do it, but I couldn't get it to work.

If more people with knowledge would help with Stella (the best and most popular Atari 2600 emulator), it could save gameplay videos. When Stella can finally record gameplay videos, I'll do a happy dance until my feet bleed.

But it's still great that I can record real Atari 2600 gameplay since emulators aren't perfect yet. Stella might be the best Atari 2600 emulator, but you still need to test your games on the real thing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Stella, recorded with VirtualDub (screen cap), filtered (resized) in AviSynth:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	et.png
Views:	312
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	10860
    It could probably use some aspect ratio adjustment. I realize not all games will run properly in Stella.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Stella, recorded with VirtualDub (screen cap), filtered (resized) in AviSynth . . .
    I used to record Stella with CamStudio using the line-out/line-in trick to make the sound record properly without a lot of buzzing on my old computer. Here are a couple of examples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAoIThBDyA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zco1hnyDiVI

I'd rather have Stella record its own video. It's on the to-do list, but I think it's way down the list. Aliens will probably land and suck out our brains before it happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or record Stella from XBOX, which is output as normal NTSC or PAL.

Hacked XBOX = awesome.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote