VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks. Thank you for letting be a part of this forum. I have a dilemma that maybe someone here can help with. I produce a weekly cable TV program for my church. Our equipment is very old. We have 4 Sony EVID70 cameras, a Panasonic Digital AV Mixer WJ-MX20 and a Videonics Powerscript Studio 4000s character generator. We currently record to DVD, convert it with Divx and then upload to our cable company's headend to be broadcast. I am trying to do away with the DVD recorders and capture the live video onto our computer. We have purchased a Magewell USB Capture AIO, that we purchased from B&H Video to do this. I am using VLC player to capture the video and audio. Here is my problem. The image quality is not good and there is a severe lag. When I switch cameras it may take 3 or 4 seconds to switch in the VLC player window. Also the capture is very jerky and robot like. I have tried the Windows Media Encoder and have had absolutely no luck with it. The folks at B&H suggested a time based corrector. Any advice? Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know the specs for your computer ?? Like processor / memory / graphics card etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Keep the DVD recorder in the chain but use it only to condition the signal. So hook everything up like before, then connect SVideo-OUT to your Magewell card.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Octobere 262, I have an Intel core i7 6700@ 3.4ghz. 16gb ram. Nvidia GeForce 730 video card.
    JVRaines, I'll try coming out of the dvd recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried coming out of my DVD reorder and got the same results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    What codec do you use to capture videos? And do you have USB 3.0 on your computer ?
    Possibly stupid question, as ussual my questions are... If so, sorry
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Try AmaRecTV as your capture application.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bernix, Thank you for your reply. There are no stupid questions and I really appreciate yours. I'm using Videolan Media Player and my USB is 3.0
    JVRAINES, I'll give that a try.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shadowkahn1234 View Post
    Bernix, Thank you for your reply. There are no stupid questions and I really appreciate yours. I'm using Videolan Media Player and my USB is 3.0.
    Bernix asked what codec you were using. VLC media player isn't a codec. Used in this case, "codec" means a compression format, like XVid, or X264/AVC for video and AAC or MP3 for audio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. My apologies. I believe it is Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The EVI-D70 provides both composite video out and S-Video out. (S-Video provides a higher-quality signal than composite.) Since this camera is only capable of providing an NTSC analog signal, the "best possible quality" isn't going to be great if you are comparing it to HDTV or even 480p. So, how does the quality from the DivX version converted from DVD compare to what you are getting by direct capture to XVid?

I never used XVid for capture, so I cannot tell you exactly what settings to use. Maybe somebody else has some ideas regarding the precise settings for this. However, since the signal is interlaced video, and will be broadcast on cable as interlaced video, you should be capturing it as interlaced video at 640x480 (square pixels) or 720x480 (non-square pixels) and 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Sep 2017 at 14:00. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tried the AmaRecTV recommended by JVRaines. I have an excellent picture but no sound. I'm working on that now.
    Quote Quote